Moss ID help. 'Weeping' moss or NOT?!

5 posters

Go down

Moss ID help. 'Weeping' moss or NOT?! Empty Moss ID help. 'Weeping' moss or NOT?!

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-30, 23:54

Picked up as 'weeping' moss. As time moves on the more I doubt it's weeping moss. It's a nice looking moss but, (?)...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Input?!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Moss ID help. 'Weeping' moss or NOT?! Empty Re: Moss ID help. 'Weeping' moss or NOT?!

Post  Guest 2014-07-31, 00:05

Peacock moss or Taiwan moss.

Back to top Go down

Moss ID help. 'Weeping' moss or NOT?! Empty Re: Moss ID help. 'Weeping' moss or NOT?!

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-31, 10:55

My guess is peacock according to what was supplied for the link.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-31, 13:18

That's a bumber....

I'll take another picture this evening and post of another area on this log. There is a spot where this moss is growing that makes me think it's Christmas moss....
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-31, 15:30

Whatever it is it is beautiful Chad. Looks very healthy!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-31, 16:52

cichlid-gal wrote:Whatever it is it is beautiful Chad.  Looks very healthy!
Thank you Donna. I do like the look as the moss is beginning to envelope the wood. However I am a bit disappointed. I researched different types of moss for a few weeks prior and wanted to use a 'weeping'  moss for this application. The lower part of this wood looks pretty neat to.  In the lower area the moss is more uniform and at a downward slope toward the substrate. I'll add a picture later this evening.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-07-31, 21:01

It looks really good, how do you keep it happy? I have bad luck with java moss, I think too much light and current might be ruining mine
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-08-01, 07:21

LuminousAphid wrote:It looks really good, how do you keep it happy? I have bad luck with java moss, I think too much light and current might be ruining mine

Not sure LuminousAphid. Some mosses live and some die for me. I have tried many types of moss with various degrees of success. Sorry , that's not much help but mosses seem to be an achilles heel for me.  Since mosses absorb all their nutrients through their surfaces in the water column I would shoot for a deficiency. The biggest deficiency in my tanks seem to be nitrogen , potassiums and calcium. I started dosing these quite regularly with good results with the mosses in my 140.

Here is another shot of the moss in my tank.  scratch dosent look like Christmas moss does it? So yeah,  Taiwan or Peacock...

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-01, 10:15

I would say albino bristlenose pleco, I don't see this moss you speak of Wink
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  big01612 2014-08-01, 13:40

More peacock moss than Taiwan moss

big01612
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-08-01, 15:56

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:I would say albino bristlenose pleco, I don't see this moss you speak of Wink
The color on the photo must be a little off. It's one of those RED bristlenoses I picked up at a LFS. He's a great red color in person.

big01612 wrote:More peacock moss than Taiwan moss

I just contacted the seller I purchased this moss from 3 months ago. I shared a picture and asked him what he thought. The seller told me that his 'grows like that in high tech tanks and asked if I grew it in low tech yet?'

We all know moss can grow different ways depending on every element in the aquarium. Lighting, temp, fertilizers, CO2 all can effect the way mosses grow. Anyway, all hope is not.lost at this point to my $35 investment, lol. I will pull some stones out of the 9.5 gallon tonight and attach some of this moss to them and give it a whirl.

If anyone is interested in giving it a try I have been growing some on 2x2 stainless mats. Since the species is still not 100% confirmed I'll let them go cheap. They are ready to be moved from my sump Smile PM me .
Trumpet snails are possible.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down