Over seas driftwood/hardwood for aquarium shipment

+2
fishNAbowl
ShortyKiloGyrl
6 posters

Go down

Over seas driftwood/hardwood for aquarium shipment   Empty Over seas driftwood/hardwood for aquarium shipment

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 15:56

I had posted asking if it was safe to put then in my tank with the attached ebay listing. There was a question however about importing. I decided to take a chance and make the purchase.

I am happy to say it passed customs as "cured hardwood". I love the pieces that I got and she threw in 3 other items for free. I will definitely purchase from her again! Very easy to work with and very nice and fast shipment. .

Here are the pieces I ordered, I plan to attach moss and make them look similar to real trees in the tanks:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Over seas driftwood/hardwood for aquarium shipment   Empty Re: Over seas driftwood/hardwood for aquarium shipment

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 15:59

These are true hardwood and do not leech tannis. They were tangled in the box from shipment and I was gentle at first trying to untangle them. I ended up being fairly firm with separating them and not a single piece broke.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Over seas driftwood/hardwood for aquarium shipment   Empty Re: Over seas driftwood/hardwood for aquarium shipment

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-23, 16:20

Spot On - Those are awesome! I hope you do a journal on the 'tree' build. I am curious how you are going to secure these so they don't tip over, what type mosses used and how you attach the moss.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 16:29

I'm debating between flame moss and weeping moss. I think green thread will be what I use to attach it. As for standing upright, one will be glued into the base of a pot and the other I think I'm going to fashion a small stand and bury the stand or something that route.

I will definitely document the process. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-07-23, 18:37

EEEEEH!! Just had to comment on how awesome your thumb nail looks Very Happy so colorful! LOL...
Back on topic: those are definitely some interesting pieces! There are so many intricate branches! Very cool Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-23, 18:51

What type of wood is that? Very cool looking!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 18:54

PokeSephiroth wrote:EEEEEH!! Just had to comment on how awesome your thumb nail looks Very Happy so colorful! LOL...
Back on topic: those are definitely some interesting pieces! There are so many intricate branches! Very cool Very Happy

Haha thanks! I have a bunch of pics on fb of my colorful nails I do. I paint them myself. Smile another hobby Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 18:56

DMD123 wrote:What type of wood is that? Very cool looking!

The tag calls it Tantora driftwood she had rhea labeled as hardwood sprigs.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-07-24, 12:01

Tantora wood being the tree that catappa leaves, I'd be interested to see that it doesn't leech tanins. I've yet to ever find a wood that doesn't. Especially from a tree where the bark and leaves are specifically used to leech tanins into water. Keep us updated Smile
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 12:14

I guess I should rephrase that. It may leech tannis but will not turn the water brown or make it bad per company statement.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 12:23

It made me excited when I showed my boyfriend the wood pieces and examples of what I plan to do with moss to make them look like trees. He honestly said "huh that should look pretty cool." He has very minimal interest in the hobby. He will let me show him things but doesn't usually respond much other than looking at me like "it's your thing, not mine" lol Smile I do the same to him when he finds new beer he is excited about. haha Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-07-24, 12:41

UH those are beautiful!!! Makes me want to fill a small tank to the brim and fill it with tiny fish who weave around them.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 13:04

Right! I'm putting Irian Red Neon Rainbow and either green neon tetra or blue neon rasbora I plan on putting a patch of four leaf clover to grow under the tree too Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-24, 13:11

The Tantora wood reminds me of a scaled down version of a Manzanita branch. I really like that branchy look. (branchy is not a real word, but it sounded good to me)
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 13:19

DMD123 wrote:The Tantora wood reminds me of a scaled down version of a Manzanita branch. I really like that branchy look. (branchy is not a real word, but it sounded good to me)

Lol that's why I bought. it I couldn't find a branchy (Yeup I use it too) enough piece that was small enough for the tanks.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down