In-tank refugium for Puffer food?

3 posters

Go down

In-tank refugium for Puffer food? Empty In-tank refugium for Puffer food?

Post  bronzefighter 2014-06-27, 11:58

So I currently have a 10g setup outside that is pulling triple duty for the GSAS goldfish growout, the pondrace, and snail breeding for the puffs.

I was thinking about either building a small refugium-like box and placing it in the puff tank with some snails & plants in it, hopefully providing a supplementary source of food to the sporadic feedings I give them.

It could be as simple as some tupperware with holes drilled in it or even an AC30 modded into a low-flow refugium.

Any input?
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

In-tank refugium for Puffer food? Empty Re: In-tank refugium for Puffer food?

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-27, 12:02

Would a large size marina hang on breeder box work as well? May be easier that devising something in tank?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-06-27, 12:06

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Would a large size marina hang on breeder box work as well? May be easier that devising something in tank?

Possibly, but I was under the assumption that breeder boxes prevented things from getting in as well as getting out. I'm thinking more along the line of something with holes large enough for smaller snails to get out, but small enough to keep larger snails in and the puffs out.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-27, 12:10

Oh okay. Yeah probably. Unless you just picked the snails out an put it in the main tank.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-27, 14:04

bronzefighter wrote:So I currently have a 10g setup outside that is pulling triple duty for the GSAS goldfish growout, the pondrace, and snail breeding for the puffs.

I was thinking about either building a small refugium-like box and placing it in the puff tank with some snails & plants in it, hopefully providing a supplementary source of food to the sporadic feedings I give them.

It could be as simple as some tupperware with holes drilled in it or even an AC30 modded into a low-flow refugium.

Any input?
This might work okay. You may run into problems if you are unable to produce flow within the box. The water might get funky.

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Oh okay. Yeah probably. Unless you just picked the snails out an put it in the main tank.
I have an HOB breeder box made by marina. The one I have has a removable gate on the water return.  If removed I bet snails would have no problem making their way to the tank.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down