Advice on snails, want to breed them possibly for puffer food

+3
ShortyKiloGyrl
KaraWolf
DMD123
7 posters

Go down

Advice on snails, want to breed them possibly for puffer food Empty Advice on snails, want to breed them possibly for puffer food

Post  DMD123 2014-05-06, 11:41

So I know this one is weird since most are trying to get rid of snails. I possibly want to breed them.

I have been looking into a puffer and realize they need hard food items to wear down their teeth. Snails are one of the food items used in this case.

So what does it take to raise food snails?

So questions are:
1. What size tank is required? (What equipment do I need)
2. What type of snail to get? (Ive heard some have too hard of shells)
3. Is this realistic, to keep up with a hungry puffer? (Or do snails grow too slow to cultivate as a food item)

Im just at the research part of this. The puffer has not even been determined yet but it would have to live comfortably in a 40B.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Advice on snails, want to breed them possibly for puffer food Empty Re: Advice on snails, want to breed them possibly for puffer food

Post  KaraWolf 2014-05-06, 12:51

Lots of people manage to raise plenty to feed their puffer Smile my little 2 gallon is full of bladder snails no raising required. But I think you'd have to get a good population growing first with lots of eggs being laid to keep up, and of course it would depend on how big the puffer gets to figure out just how many you need going. A little pea puffer wouldn't need too many while Hank had moved on from snails mostly LOL I've only heard of one kind with shells too hard and it was either ramshorn or Malaysian trumpets. Snails require about the same fish do, and eat veggies and need a source of calcium. Be it the bird calcium thingies or other snail shells exc.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Advice on snails, want to breed them possibly for puffer food Empty Re: Advice on snails, want to breed them possibly for puffer food

Post  DMD123 2014-05-06, 13:01

Ive also heard of using clams in the shell. I really dont want to have to raise snails but Im just researching at this point. I guess some are more piscivores and may even not eat snails anyway.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-06, 13:17

For my GSP I have bladder snails I buy and put in tanks (which have bred but not fast enough) and feed Krill as a primary food source. About once a week I won't feed him krill for 2 days and in the night he snacks on the snails in his tank keeping his teeth ground down. Seems to be working well for him so far. And he LOVES the krill. I buy them from Ken's. I can hold the krill in my fingers and he will come up and bite it and take it from my fingers. Smile I believe the MTS are too hard of a shell and the bladder snails seem to be appropriate. They do not eat the whole shell though. Just at the opening to get to the snail it self. Then I have to remove the snail shells when empty. I haven't tried clams since the krill and bladder snails are working.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-06, 13:43

Right now I am looking at three puffers in particular, Hairy Puffer, Congo Puffer, Arrowhead Puffer

They are pretty much the same in regard to care so its just a matter of finding the one I like the most and being able to feed and care for it it right.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-05-06, 14:20

I have tons of ramshorn snails, if you decide you want to breed snails let me know.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-06, 15:11

Thanks MorganEA for the offer. It will see be a little while, if I do decide to do this. I still have a fish in quarantine to deal with and growouts that need to get some size on them. Then the  final decisions on what fish go in what tanks. I pretty much have it figured out that the 40B should be free when Im done. So I might need to buy a snail breeding tank when the time comes.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-06, 16:23

This last year my 140 has accumulated a nice population of MTS. Shorty's last post about snails got me thinking about cultivating some and share them within the community , I could do this for stores as well for store credit.

If your feeding a fish 1-2 snails a day you maybe able to support a snail population. But if your throwing in like 10 a day then I would think it would be difficult to keep up.

Here is  my suggestion for cultivating snails. Get a 55 gallon tank. Plant it.... Add snail population by gathering from WashFishBox members.... Throw in a school of fish and feed em fat. You'll have a bunch of snails in no time Very Happy

Thoughts?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-06, 16:54

A 55 gallon snail breeding tank is too much. I think I would look to some frozen food sources before doing that.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-06, 17:06

I ended up with a bladder snail from the plants fishNAbowl, I was grateful and tossed it in my puffer tank Smile I wonder if MTS have too hard of a shell?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-06, 21:20

DMD123 wrote:A 55 gallon snail breeding tank is too much. I think I would look to some frozen food sources before doing that.

whistle - Was trying to get you to plant a tank, not grow snails. Snails are sort of a bi product and go hand in hand with planted tanks...  Wink
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-06, 22:04

fishNAbowl wrote:
DMD123 wrote:A 55 gallon snail breeding tank is too much. I think I would look to some frozen food sources before doing that.

whistle - Was trying to get you to plant a tank, not grow snails. Snails are sort of a bi product and go hand in hand with planted tanks...  Wink

haha  Now I get it  haha 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-06, 22:32

So 'The Puffer Forum' had info from some puffer owners that all three puffer types Im interested in do not require the hard foods and that they are piscivores. So maybe what I need is to breed some livebearers instead.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-05-06, 23:32

Ever since I got my Target Puffer (about two weeks now), I've set up a 2.5 gallon tank and just picked up a bunch of snails from my other tanks and dumped em in that 2.5 gallon tank, bare bottom, and I plan on just placing a bunch of food in there such as cucumber or sinking pellets. Any food that's just laying around, really.

I've got a mix of ramshorn snails and bladder/pond snails right now. I think that's all I will do for now since puffers can't break malaysian trumpet snail shells. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-05-07, 10:47

fishNAbowl wrote:This last year my 140 has accumulated a nice population of MTS. Shorty's last post about snails got me thinking about cultivating some and share them within the community , I could do this for stores as well for store credit.

If your feeding a fish 1-2 snails a day you maybe able to support a snail population. But if your throwing in like 10 a day then I would think it would be difficult to keep up.

Here is  my suggestion for cultivating snails. Get a 55 gallon tank. Plant it.... Add snail population by gathering from WashFishBox members.... Throw in a school of fish and feed em fat. You'll have a bunch of snails in no time Very Happy

Thoughts?

Yes...that's why I have so many snails in my planted tank. It's not an infestation, it's an ongoing snail breeding setup. yup, that's it  Suspect silent Suspect 
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-07, 10:54

DMD123 wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:

haha  Now I get it   haha 

haha I was kind of thinking the same thing. Wink
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-07, 12:08

After doing more and more research, I like the fact the types of puffers I am wanting do not require snails. Many said they fed earthworms, home raised feeders and crayfish/crab. So I think I might be able to do this pretty easily.

I would love to be able to do the self cloning crays but I know they are not legal here. What about the fancy 'lobsters' that are allowed? Are they easy to breed? Though the resale value on those is worth more than using them as feeders.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-07, 12:50

Well I learned something new. I didn't know self cloning crays were illegal. Although I've never wanted to have one. Great news about not needing snails. On another forum I'm part of a girl has a ray and the only thing she can get it to eat is earth worms lol. She has tried garlic on scallops and all kinds of stuff.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-07, 13:30

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Well I learned something new. I didn't know self cloning crays were illegal. Although I've never wanted to have one. Great news about not needing snails. On another forum I'm part of a girl has a ray and the only thing she can get it to eat is earth worms lol. She has tried garlic on scallops and all kinds of stuff.

She needs to wrap the scallops in bacon.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-05-07, 13:37

DMD123 wrote:
ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Well I learned something new. I didn't know self cloning crays were illegal. Although I've never wanted to have one. Great news about not needing snails. On another forum I'm part of a girl has a ray and the only thing she can get it to eat is earth worms lol. She has tried garlic on scallops and all kinds of stuff.

Great, now I'm hungry.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-07, 13:43

bronzefighter wrote:
DMD123 wrote:

Great, now I'm hungry.

haha... dang, now I am too... I do have scallops in the freezer. I think I know what I'm having for lunch! Very Happy
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-05-07, 16:13

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:
bronzefighter wrote:
DMD123 wrote:

Great, now I'm hungry.

haha... dang, now I am too... I do have scallops in the freezer. I think I know what I'm having for lunch! Very Happy

Snails?
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-07, 16:21

Yes snails. Mark your calenders, National Escargot Day is May 24th.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-07, 16:33

I didn't take a picture but I had sauteed scallops in garlic butter Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-07, 16:34

DMD123 wrote:Yes snails. Mark your calenders, National Escargot Day is May 24th.

YUCK!  silent I'll leave that to the puffers!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down