Has anyone ever had a fish that will LET YOU pick it up out of the water?

+9
flo77
SonicsDC25
Anthraxx
thecarl
zach_discus
ShortyKiloGyrl
Madness
DMD123
fishNAbowl
13 posters

Go down

Has anyone ever had a fish that will LET YOU pick it up out of the water? Empty Has anyone ever had a fish that will LET YOU pick it up out of the water?

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-23, 12:38

I was amazed . My family says its a stupid fish Sad they just don't understand, LOL....

I haven't housed a Comet since my WC Peacock Bass days. My son brought it home a few months ago as a school project. He eats my plants in my 140. Having enough of that I went over to the 140,  'Goldie' came to greet me. I stuck in my hand cupped and he swam near. I slowly scooped him up and he just chilled.... With no respect to the past foOd source I gently  transported him to my 9.5 gallon. He was confused with the solitaire confinement but chill, no panic.

Best part of this is he has eaten all the damn algae that I am constantly plagued with in that tank (besides what actually grows on the walls). This tank hasn't looked this good in months!

So, lesson - respect the Comet. Is he 'stupid' or a supEr cool spiritual being with a calm soul? You be the judge.

Spot On

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-05-23, 12:49; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever had a fish that will LET YOU pick it up out of the water? Empty Re: Has anyone ever had a fish that will LET YOU pick it up out of the water?

Post  DMD123 2014-05-23, 12:42

All my fish hate to be handled. Your fish is special.  whistle 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever had a fish that will LET YOU pick it up out of the water? Empty Re: Has anyone ever had a fish that will LET YOU pick it up out of the water?

Post  Madness 2014-05-23, 12:49

Super cool, it takes a cool personality to become one between wet pet/owner  Cool 
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-23, 12:54

DMD123 wrote:All my fish hate to be handled. Your fish is special.  whistle 
He's sp3ciAl , yup!

Madness wrote:Super cool, it takes a cool personality to become one between wet pet/owner   Cool 
 Spot On
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-23, 13:02

My comet (that I had for 10 years) would let me pet it and so did my peacock cichlid. Unfortunately both have since passed. I wonder if it is a goldfish thing?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  zach_discus 2014-05-23, 13:05

A lot of my Discus will allow me to pick them up and display them in my hand.
zach_discus
zach_discus
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-23, 13:12

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:My comet (that I had for 10 years) would let me pet it and so did my peacock cichlid. Unfortunately both have since passed. I wonder if it is a goldfish thing?
I've pet my Angels before but not to pick it up out of water... It's pretty neat when fish are docile enough to come near like that. It's creepy though when I am aquascaping and fish will pick at me like I am foOd. My Apisto's  and Kribs would attack  me without me paying attention and it would be like a 9V shock. It's not good to jump shoulder deep, HA!

zach_discus wrote:A lot of my Discus will allow me to pick them up and display them in my hand.
This is awesome zack_discus!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-23, 13:16

fishNAbowl wrote:
ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:My comet (that I had for 10 years) would let me pet it and so did my peacock cichlid. Unfortunately both have since passed. I wonder if it is a goldfish thing?
I've pet my Angels before but not to pick it up out of water... It's pretty neat when fish are docile enough to come near like that. It's creepy though when I am aquascaping and fish will pick at me like I am foOd. My Apisto's  and Kribs would attack  me without me paying attention and it would be like a 9V shock. It's not good to jump shoulder deep, HA!

I have to confine my puffer when I am cleaning and messing with his tank. He hates my painted nails and bites at my fingers. With teeth that does not feel good! And as well makes me jump lol. I have learned to cup him or net him while I work in there with plants or removing snail shells and cleanings. I miss petting my cichlid Sad He was about 6", maybe a little more. He was old and didn't make the move Sad
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-23, 13:18

fishNAbowl wrote:I was amazed . My family says its a stupid fish Sad they just don't understand, LOL....

I haven't housed a Comet since my WC Peacock Bass days. My son brought it home a few months ago as a school project. He eats my plants in my 140. Having enough of that I went over to the 140,  'Goldie' came to greet me. I stuck in my hand cupped and he swam near. I slowly scooped him up and he just chilled.... With no respect to the past foOd source I gently  transported him to my 9.5 gallon. He was confused with the solitaire confinement but chill, no panic.

Best part of this is he has eaten all the damn algae that I am constantly plagued with in that tank (besides what actually grows on the walls). This tank hasn't looked this good in months!

So, lesson - respect the Comet. Is he 'stupid' or a supEr cool spiritual being with a calm soul? You be the judge.

Spot On

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

by the way, super awesome you finally got the algae under control! lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-23, 13:27

Yeah, it was all messed up. I was/am about to give up. We will have to give credit to Goldie here. He's the star, LOL Very Happy
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thecarl 2014-05-23, 14:53

I've had the same experience with Discus, the friendlier ones will let you pet them and pick them up out of the tank without a fuss.

thecarl
Fry

http://www.shorelineweather.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-05-23, 17:39

lol thats awesome, love that he started out a pest. yet now is the hero Smile on a side note, i wish my shellies would take a page from your comet here. im so sick of getting bit, even after a decade of keeping them i STILL get shocked lolz.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-05-23, 18:27

Very cool, yeah I have the same relationship with a lot of my mbuna and peacock cichlids since I hand feed them all the time, they're used to my hand now lol Smile
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  flo77 2014-05-24, 19:21

I had same experience with my discus and some of the endlers(endlers mainly at the feeding time). On the other hand both species hate the fish net and take cover whenever they see it.

flo77

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-05-24, 19:34

Same here flo (fish scared of the net), except for my OB peacock, if there's a chance there's food on/in something, he's not shy lol  haha
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2014-05-24, 20:17

I used to be able to pick up and pet my striped raphael catfish.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-05-25, 01:36

The Fancy Goldfish Ranchus at Aquarium Co-Op tend to do that whenever I approach them with handfuls of duckweed... Smile

They're so adorably ugly.....in a cute way. =P
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  wi_fishguy 2014-06-23, 11:14

Our Golden Wonder Killie lets us pet him, and he'll swim right into our hands to be lifted out of the water, then he freaks out. Always make sure to do it over the tank to prevent any problems. A few of our bettas would do the same.
wi_fishguy
wi_fishguy
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-23, 11:16

Speaking of petting, well this goes beyond petting. I.... don't know what to say about this... I mean, you would think that fish wouldn't like this, but.. he just keeps coming back for more. How interesting.

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-23, 12:38

PokeSephiroth wrote:Speaking of petting, well this goes beyond petting. I.... don't know what to say about this... I mean, you would think that fish wouldn't like this, but.. he just keeps coming back for more. How interesting.

I just watched a video on another site of an Umbee that did this as well as playing a tag game with the owner. He would pet him the Umbee would swim away and come back and act like he was going to bite the guy. He said he has never physically bit but would keep and open mouth and push the guys hand. It was pretty cool to watch. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-06-23, 21:14

I have a Paradise Gourami that does this. He will nip at my finger, then wait for me to 'chase' him with my finger. When I stop, he comes back and nips again, like a little game of tag. He also jumps completely out of the water to grab food out of my hand, and will stop and rest in my cupped fingers if I let him.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-23, 23:25

^ Okay , I don't know about anyone else but I have family members that say stuff like " its not like your fish are like dogs or cats" during discussions about pets. This video blows that out of the water. The fish in this video is awesome!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-24, 00:36

I knew you would like that video, Chad! :-)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down