EBJD-Getting better or what? (When is madness getting his to breed?)

+4
cichlid-gal
Madness
KaraWolf
DMD123
8 posters

Go down

EBJD-Getting better or what? (When is madness getting his to breed?) Empty EBJD-Getting better or what? (When is madness getting his to breed?)

Post  DMD123 2014-05-15, 15:18

After adding my new Regani to my tank I thought how beautiful this iridescent fish looks and how awesome an EBJD would look in the tank.

A while back when I was at The Wet Spot in Portland they had a tank full of these little guys and the prices were under $20 for about 1.25" fish. I also had seen some slightly bigger ones in Sumner a while back too, though not that great a price. The thing Ive been noticing is a much better looking group of fish the stores are getting. Seems like for a while I was seeing tons of defects with funny beak mouths, spine curvature and all kind of misshapen fish. What Ive seen lately look very good.

That brings me to my next topic, when is madness going to get his EBJD project up and running?  jocolor 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

EBJD-Getting better or what? (When is madness getting his to breed?) Empty Re: EBJD-Getting better or what? (When is madness getting his to breed?)

Post  KaraWolf 2014-05-15, 17:53

Id hazard a guess that the massive floor spillage from the washer stalled it right up. Though I don't recall if he gave it away or relocated until later?
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

EBJD-Getting better or what? (When is madness getting his to breed?) Empty Re: EBJD-Getting better or what? (When is madness getting his to breed?)

Post  DMD123 2014-05-15, 18:55

I think he is just slacking, house has been back up and running for a while.  jocolor 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-05-15, 19:11

Thanks D, lol, all of them have been in the same tank since they were acquired. Just no activity from them. I actually have two of the blue gene Jacks wanting to pair up, but no BG and EB yet.

All I can say is, "patience my children, patience". Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-05-15, 19:12

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-05-15, 19:19

Gorgeous...just gorgeous!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-15, 19:42

Was just joking about it all, I know its been a lot to get the place back together.  Spot On 

Your Jack looks good. Cant wait to see them produce some fry.

Was just an interesting observation that the EBJD have been getting better looking lately.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-05-15, 19:59

I think the strains are getting stronger because the breeding is being done correctly.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-15, 20:01

Madness wrote:I think the strains are getting stronger because the breeding is being done correctly.  
I think so too. Used to be if you got an EBJD under an inch you would be fortunate to get it to adulthood and you pretty much had to raise it in a super clean environment with a UV attached to the filter. They are much healthier now.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-05-15, 20:06

Healthier, yes.
Harder to breed ... Yes
Still cool..... Even more!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-05-16, 00:11

Man Madness! Making me drool for massive fish that I totally don't want to keep LOL
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2014-05-16, 01:23

DMD123 wrote:After adding my new Regani to my tank I thought how beautiful this iridescent fish looks and how awesome an EBJD would look in the tank.

A while back when I was at The Wet Spot in Portland they had a tank full of these little guys and the prices were under $20 for about 1.25" fish. I also had seen some slightly bigger ones in Sumner a while back too, though not that great a price. The thing Ive been noticing is a much better looking group of fish the stores are getting. Seems like for a while I was seeing tons of defects with funny beak mouths, spine curvature and all kind of misshapen fish. What Ive seen lately look very good.

That brings me to my next topic, when is madness going to get his EBJD project up and running?  jocolor   

The Regani is a beautiful iridescent fish, no doubt, but some of them have quite the temperament. Even though they are the more docile of the Paraneetroplus species, they might be a little too aggressive for the EBJD. The Regani can grow to 14".
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  leisure_man 2014-05-16, 02:17

Here are my EBJDs and Platinum JDs fry.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
leisure_man
leisure_man
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-05-16, 11:32

Drd62 wrote:The Regani is a beautiful iridescent fish, no doubt, but some of them have quite the temperament. Even though they are the more docile of the Paraneetroplus species, they might be a little too aggressive for the EBJD. The Regani can grow to 14".

The Regani is kept in check by the big Pearsei at the moment so its OK for now. Not showing any aggression yet toward the smaller red bay snook or the pleco and bichir. Before I got the regani I did a bit of reading and most said they were pretty easy going but one person absolutely had a killer that was uber-aggressive. On one of the forums the person actually described the Regani as having a JD personality, thus the possible idea of one in the tank. I still have the het's growing out which I will eventually add one to the 210g when it is big enough not to be snook food.

My goal is to try and have five cichlids in the tank, with my final stock to have: Pearsei x1, Regani x1, red Bay Snook x1, Heterospilus x1 and the last being either the red isletas I already have or something like the EBJD. The Isleats has pretty much proven itself not a good tankmate to the Regani so likely it will just be a solo wet pet for the 72g bowfront. Might possibly also consider something like a Robertsoni or Thorichthys pasionis.... but the EBJD was something I was just thinking about.

leisure_man very nice looking EBJD you got going there!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jmatthewvan 2014-06-01, 20:02

I currently have fry of both Electric blue and Electric pink Dempseys. My Blue gene male and gold blue gene female have laid 3 times and only this post third time did he fertilize them. I'll have many of both kinds available very shortly.

jmatthewvan
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  leisure_man 2014-06-03, 00:35

Blue gene male with gold blue gene female will only get you maximum 1/4 electric blue jds.  You need both with gold blue genes to get platinum jds (only 6.25%).
leisure_man
leisure_man
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down