+5
vance1013
Gryphon
jrmakawoody
fishNAbowl
Anthraxx
9 posters

Go down

Advice on snail removal required! Empty Advice on snail removal required!

Post  Anthraxx 2014-05-03, 01:13

so i seem to be having a bit of an issue with snails populating my 10g tank. its gotten to the point where theyre producing more waste then the tank is capable of dealing with and need to get gone asap. its planted pretty well with crypts (like 2 java ferns) so anything that will damage plants id like to avoid, but at this point theyre breeding faster then my assassin snails can keep up. any advice would be well appreciated, thanks in advance.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Advice on snail removal required! Empty Re: Advice on snail removal required!

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-03, 01:22

Do you have enough room in there for a Pea Puffer or 2?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2014-05-03, 10:41

If you have the option, I would move all of the fish that you have in there to another thank, and starve the snails out. While doing this pick out as many as you can at least once a day. Maybe invest in an assassin snail as well? Are they MTS?
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-05-03, 12:51

fishNAbowl wrote:Do you have enough room in there for a Pea Puffer or 2?
 I agree  They will destroy the snail population in no time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2014-05-03, 13:55

I have a pea puffer you can borrow to clear out those snails.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  vance1013 2014-05-03, 15:36

what is your feeding schedule like, over feeding can cause a population outbreak, cutting back feeding will help also blanching a piece of zucchini or lettuce then put it in your tank over night the next day remove the piece itll be covered in snails repeat process until snail are in smaller numbers adding extra livestock to fix and issue isn't always the best option whats your stock in your 10g
vance1013
vance1013
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-05-03, 18:53

Indeed. Cut back on feeding and maybe add a few more assassins - they should bring the population under control within a month or two as long as you stop over-feeding.

Adding stock to solve a problem is rarely a good idea, but there really aren't any negative consequences to assassins (in my experience).
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-03, 19:30

I agree with pbmax. All my tanks have snails in them. From 9.5g to 140 gallons. Like everyone always says the population can be controlled by how much fish food goes into the tank. However, pea puffers rock! But , now that I think about it I should add. IF you where to add something to eat the snails like a pea puffer I would recommend more frequent gravel vacs. The puffers will leave bits and pieces of snails and once these start to rot it could foul the water. I just like watching puffers decimate snail populations Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-05-03, 20:56

i have no idea what type of snails they are, at this point all the assasins just cant keep up with the amount of breeding going on, currently its a shellie pair so that wont work for adding anything, theyll pick it to death for sure. however i could easily move the pair to a spare tank and toss a puffer in for awhile. id rather borrow then buy, but im at the point where id poison them and just hope the plants survive and come back. its been 2-3 month fight. also the other issue here is the simple amount of waste the snails are producing. no matter how often i do the changes it doesnt seem to matter, im hesitant to do too much as last time i did that the tank crashed and i lost all but the pair i have now.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  vance1013 2014-05-03, 21:01

Can you post a pic that would help a lot and I agree once they are there its hard to get rid of them but with patience and hard work you can get it done try the piece of lettuce or blanched zucchini method it really does work also googling snail traps might be a good idea
vance1013
vance1013
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-05-03, 22:21

Put some zucchini in a glass jar and the snails will crawl in then once the zucchini is covered in snails take the jar out.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  vance1013 2014-05-03, 22:23

MorganEA wrote:Put some zucchini in a glass jar and the snails will crawl in then once the zucchini is covered in snails take the jar out.

I agree
vance1013
vance1013
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-05-03, 23:05

Borrow the puffer! Your snails go bye bye, the puffer is fat and happy, and its owner doent have to buy something most are trying to get rid of.  bounce 
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-05-04, 00:16

Chiisai wrote:Borrow the puffer! Your snails go bye bye, the puffer is fat and happy, and its owner doent have to buy something most are trying to get rid of.  bounce 

Coming from a puffer owner, I agree! lol Move the shellies to a temporary tank, borrow the puffer and then let the puffer have at it. Mine eats me out of snails and I have to buy them. Seems silly when most people have snail over population! Or use the jar/green veggies option and give them away to people who have puffers? Even flat rate small box could probably hold quite a few for a cheap price. They also LOVE unsalted french cut green beans. I put them in my for my bristlenose and the snails latched on to them first. When you get the beans underwater just squeeze them a little and it will push the air out and they will sink. I would put them in a jar as well. Snail trap would work well too.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  vance1013 2014-05-05, 22:36

any update on your snail problem
vance1013
vance1013
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down