Water chemistry in or near Issaquah?

4 posters

Go down

Water chemistry in or near Issaquah? Empty Water chemistry in or near Issaquah?

Post  anchlo_808 2014-03-28, 19:38

He all, I just recently move to Issaquah from Hawaii. I have a passion for planted tanks, my set-ups have generally been mid to high-tech set ups. In Hawaii, I never had issues with the tap water, no chlorine, relatively neutral, no heaters and no additives.

I don't have any test kits with me currently. Does anyone living in the area know what the basic make up of the water is around here? im in the Issaquah Highlands area.

Also, In all my set-ups I have used SAES, OTTS and AMANOS... are these readily available at the LFS?

Thanks!

anchlo_808
Fry

Back to top Go down

Water chemistry in or near Issaquah? Empty Re: Water chemistry in or near Issaquah?

Post  dwarfpike 2014-03-28, 20:16

I want to say I remember the Issaquah Plateau is mostly limestone, so the water might be harder than normal for the area, depending on where the city gets it's supply some. If no one down there has tested, you could call Sierra up and they would probably know.

I frequently see amanos and ottos, sae's less so though.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Water chemistry in or near Issaquah? Empty Re: Water chemistry in or near Issaquah?

Post  anchlo_808 2014-03-28, 20:39

Will probably be using kitty litter substrate.... I've had much success with it... Anyone still using this method? Lol...

anchlo_808
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-28, 20:49

anchlo_808 wrote:Will probably be using kitty litter substrate.

scratch KITTY LITTER?! Oh please DO tell!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anchlo_808 2014-03-28, 20:58

Kitty litter works great! Kinda an older idea but still effective.... The problem is finding the right brand... It's called "Special Kitty" which was readily available at Walmart. Although not sure if the still carry it. Special Kitty is essentially clay, which does not affect PH.... It also contains no additives, and no chemicals... It's basically inert... But works wonders as a base 2-3" layer.... Simply top with fluorite... I also pressed home made fert balls or flourish tabs into the litter where the plants are. Roots grow like crazy and the cool thing is that the litter doesn't compact and is a couple bucks a bag!

anchlo_808
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-28, 21:03

Wow, in all my years I've never heard of people using kitty litter. Interesting concept, I am sure there is a few organic brands on the market.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anchlo_808 2014-03-28, 22:02

Yeah it was an idea that someone thought of at least ten years ago. It's cost effective for larger tanks where substrate can get pricy..

anchlo_808
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-29, 00:14

anchlo_808 wrote:Yeah it was an idea that someone thought of at least ten years ago. It's cost effective for larger tanks where substrate can get pricy..
Yeah I hear you. I have about 230 pounds of fluorite gravel/sand and Eco complete in my 140 gallon, lol.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-03-30, 16:52

As far as I understand it, kitty litter (the variety used in aquariums), safe-t-sort, turface, and soilmaster select are pretty much the same stuff - clay granules.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down