Thai Micro Crab

5 posters

Go down

Thai Micro Crab Empty Thai Micro Crab

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-03-03, 11:43

first of all, i apologize as i don't have a working shift key on my laptop

i stopped by denny's yesterday on the way home from work, and found something i had not heard of in their shrimp section. thai micro crabs! at first i could not even see any in there, so i thought they might be sold out; i had to ask an employee who moved some wood around before i could finally see the little buggers.

this guy's page has some great pics and a short video; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

they are probably the most expensive critter i have bought--by weight--but it was an impulse buy i couldn't pass up. i went home with 3 little tiny crabs, who were clinging to each other in the bag all the way home, and then put them in my 10 gallon with most of my guppies. at this point they are about 1/2inch including their legs; the carapace is probably 3-4mm wide, so pretty tiny. they look big in the pics on that page, but that guy has a camera that is better than most human eyes.

so far i have read that no successful breeding of these guys has taken place. people have had larvae, and some people think a few of their larvae have survived to adulthood, but only in huge colonies with thousands of larvae being produced. no one can say for sure if the larvae need brackish water or can do it in fresh, much less what to feed them. i suppose heavy green water might be a way to raise the young, and i haven't read about anyone trying it.

i don't have any pics because they are too small for my crappy camera. anyone else on this forum have experience with them?
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Thai Micro Crab Empty Re: Thai Micro Crab

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-03-03, 11:51

Oh man those are too cute! I would love to have those rather than shrimp! How cool!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gizmo 2014-03-03, 12:19

Make sure you keep your guppies well fed, otherwise the crabs might become a snack.
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-03-03, 12:20

they are overpriced imo at denny's, which is why i only bought 3 to see how they would do, but i'm sure you can find them online for a lot cheaper.

the only concern i have about these guys is that since there is no captive breeding going on, i don't want to support unsustainable collection practices which will eventually hurt the wild population or even wipe them out. i hear they live in water hyacinths in the wild, so it's probably the easiest thing in the world to go out and collect massive numbers of them- hopefully they breed easier in the wild and will keep their numbers up. i will have to look into that.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-03-03, 13:27

Found a little bit of info. First site I looked at though.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-04, 01:38

LuminousAphid wrote:they are overpriced imo at denny's, which is why i only bought 3 to see how they would do, but i'm sure you can find them online for a lot cheaper.

Shocked - odd critter, how much where they?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-03-04, 03:45

same as online i guess, so not bad. but for the size of them, 4 dollars is a lot

the only worry i had about them has already come true... i cannot find them without moving rocks and things around  Crying or Very sad they are probably nocturnal and come out much more at night, but that does me no good because i need light to see them

i would definitely recommend getting 10 or more, so that maybe you will see 1 or 2, once in a while Smile 
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-04, 08:35

LuminousAphid wrote:same as online i guess, so not bad. but for the size of them, 4 dollars is a lot

the only worry i had about them has already come true... i cannot find them without moving rocks and things around  Crying or Very sad they are probably nocturnal and come out much more at night, but that does me no good because i need light to see them

i would definitely recommend getting 10 or more, so that maybe you will see 1 or 2, once in a while Smile 
 king - at that size they are probably naturally skittish . And choose safe spots, rocks and crevices. I planned on going by Denny's Pet World today - gonna check em out. They might be that neat little critter you only see but every once in a while, I like those... plus there is a red plant in the display tank there I am trying to talk these ppl out of clipping me a starter -  Suspect
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-04, 21:39

Seen these today @ Denny's Pet World. Interesting crab. Looks like a spider crawling on wood, creepy. This little guy would defiantly get lost in any aquarium but would be neat to have.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-03-24, 15:12

Looks like MsJinkzd is getting closer to breeding these guys:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down