Anthraxx
poffman
jrygel
13 posters

Go down

Hello from Federal Way Empty Hello from Federal Way

Post  jrygel 2014-02-07, 14:54

Hi all,

I am returning to this hobby after an almost 20 year hiatus - it helps to have kids that enjoy the fish as well.  So far I just have one 30 gallon community tank.  I currently have quite a few plants, six Schwartz's corys, thirteen black neon tetras, six otos, and one angelfish.  I plan to add a couple Rams to the tank in a few weeks, and that should be it for a while.  Does anyone know of any local stores that have Bolivian Rams (mikrogeophagus altispinosus)?  Everyone seems to have German Blue Rams (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and their various hybrids, but my pH is at 7.8, which is probably pushing it for GBRs unless they were raised in higher pH - I'd be open to GBRs as well if there are any around that are locally raised in a higher pH.

Here's some intro pictures of the tank:

Hello from Federal Way Tank10

Hello from Federal Way Cory10

Hello from Federal Way Angel10

Hello from Federal Way Neons10

Hello from Federal Way Otos10

jrygel
Fry

Back to top Go down

Hello from Federal Way Empty Re: Hello from Federal Way

Post  poffman 2014-02-07, 14:57

Beautiful tank!!! Welcome!! I'm in Des Moines and the two places I go for freshwater fish with 100% success rates (so far a course..) are Tropical Fish World in Sumner, and Aquarium Coop in Edmonds. If you haven't made the trek to Aquarium Coop, it's well worth the visit. Both of those places have the friendliest staff and nicest fish in my opinion of every store i've been to. There's also a ratings section for fish stores on the forum which is worth a read! Smile

Will you be going to the swap meet tomorrow in Auburn?
http://www.wafishbox.com/t9136p20-aquarium-cartel-swap-meet-feb-8-new-thread#90419
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrygel 2014-02-07, 15:53

I was going to try to make it to the swap meet to see what there is to see. I've been very happy with Tropical Fish World also. All of my fish except for the Corys are from there. The Corys are from Midway, which I know can be hit or miss, but some of their stock is pretty nice and they have a big selection.

jrygel
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman 2014-02-07, 16:20

jrygel wrote:I was going to try to make it to the swap meet to see what there is to see.  I've been very happy with Tropical Fish World also.  All of my fish except for the Corys are from there.  The Corys are from Midway, which I know can be hit or miss, but some of their stock is pretty nice and they have a big selection.

You should definitely come out, lots of us will be there! Tropical fish world has been great for me, I was all miss with Midway but some people have good luck! What lighting do you have on your tank?
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrygel 2014-02-07, 17:22

I have a 36" Current USA Freshwater LED+ as the main light and a Marineland 22" Hidden LED zip tied to the front of the hood to fill in the shadow at the top-front from the Current being so close to the water.

jrygel
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-02-07, 17:57

Welcome, loving that tank setup. the stand also is very nice looking, very minimalistic while still allowing good views for the tank. id be a little cautious of a substrate spawner in with the cories however. my Rams (bolivian or GBR) never seemed to get along with the cories. just my suggestion to you. have you put any thought into maybe kribs or some other dwarf cichlid? theres tons of variety's of dwarf cichlids to choose from that i think would look fabulous in there. GL to ya in your choices, your doing a great job so far
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman 2014-02-07, 18:03

jrygel wrote:I have a 36" Current USA Freshwater LED+ as the main light and a Marineland 22" Hidden LED zip tied to the front of the hood  to fill in the shadow at the top-front from the Current being so close to the water.

It looks great! Very nice setup.
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2014-02-07, 18:06

Welcome! 
Good to have you here...Another Federal Way guy! Hope to meet you soon. If you come to the swap tomorrow, stop by and say hi. I'll be at the entry at or near the registration table.
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrygel 2014-02-07, 18:44

Anthraxx wrote:Welcome, loving that tank setup. the stand also is very nice looking, very minimalistic while still allowing good views for the tank. id be a little cautious of a substrate spawner in with the cories however. my Rams (bolivian or GBR) never seemed to get along with the cories. just my suggestion to you. have you put any thought into maybe kribs or some other dwarf cichlid? theres tons of variety's of dwarf cichlids to choose from that i think would look fabulous in there. GL to ya in your choices, your doing a great job so far

I built the stand myself - all the tubing and wiring is in the wooden tower in at the back left corner. Its on a dividing wall between my living and dining rooms, so it has to look decent from all sides. This is the back:

Hello from Federal Way Back10

Also, thanks for the thoughts on my stocking - I appreciate the voice of experience. I am more sold on Rams than the Corys though and will probably try to find another home for the Corys if they don't get along. I don't intend to breed the rams - but I guess you never know what might happen.

jrygel
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2014-02-07, 18:46

When you don't expect it to happen, you can expect it to happen!
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-02-07, 19:45

Welcome, and congrats on an impressive setup!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2014-02-07, 19:56

Welcome aboard! Good to see another Fed Way member!
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2014-02-07, 20:11

Welcome! 
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-02-07, 21:39

well good thing for you rams cant asexually reproduce! just get one and keep the cories Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-02-08, 00:35

jrygel wrote:Hi all,

I am returning to this hobby after an almost 20 year hiatus - it helps to have kids that enjoy the fish as well.  So far I just have one 30 gallon community tank.  I currently have quite a few plants, six Schwartz's corys, thirteen black neon tetras, six otos, and one angelfish.  I plan to add a couple Rams to the tank in a few weeks, and that should be it for a while.  Does anyone know of any local stores that have Bolivian Rams (mikrogeophagus altispinosus)?  Everyone seems to have German Blue Rams (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and their various hybrids, but my pH is at 7.8, which is probably pushing it for GBRs unless they were raised in higher pH - I'd be open to GBRs as well if there are any around that are locally raised in a higher pH.

Here's some intro pictures of the tank:

Hello from Federal Way Tank10

1st congratulations on your return to the hobby. How exciting for you and your kids. Your tank is awesome...I love the green and black combination of plants and substrate. Everything looks extremely happy and healthy.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Will I am 2014-02-09, 02:33

Welcome aboard! Another from Fedway! Sweet!
Will I am
Will I am

Back to top Go down

Post  jrygel 2014-02-19, 21:54

Here are a couple update photos.  I figured out my fertilization  schedule and most of the plants are growing in pretty well.  

Anyone need some wisteria (Hygro Difformis)?

Hello from Federal Way Img_2410

I made it up to Aquarium Co-Op on Monday and left with a couple Bolivian Rams. This is the slightly larger of the two:

Hello from Federal Way Img_2413

Here's the slightly smaller ram.  The two rams and the angel are currently establishing who is in charge, but none of them seem to be injured or any more skittish than the others after three days:

Hello from Federal Way Img_2412

-Justin

jrygel
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-19, 22:08

afro - I dont know how I missed this intro. But that's a very nice planted set up. I like the fish choice as well. I have many of the same species. Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome to the forum!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2014-02-20, 04:33

Wow love the plantscaping. Love the fish choices also and welcome! Please continue updating us Smile
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2014-02-22, 11:16

jrygel wrote:Here are a couple update photos.  I figured out my fertilization  schedule and most of the plants are growing in pretty well.  

Anyone need some wisteria (Hygro Difformis)?

Hello from Federal Way Img_2410

I made it up to Aquarium Co-Op on Monday and left with a couple Bolivian Rams. This is the slightly larger of the two:

Hello from Federal Way Img_2413

Here's the slightly smaller ram.  The two rams and the angel are currently establishing who is in charge, but none of them seem to be injured or any more skittish than the others after three days:

Hello from Federal Way Img_2412

Welcome back to the hobby. Your tank looks nicely done.

-Justin
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-02-22, 13:16

Welcome to the box. Great looking rams Smile
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com