Controversial issues....

+3
lloyd378
DMD123
fishNAbowl
7 posters

Go down

Controversial issues....  Empty Controversial issues....

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-25, 22:35

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Controversial issues....  Empty Re: Controversial issues....

Post  DMD123 2014-01-25, 22:43

Controversial or illegal?

It seemed like an innocent question, but in its simplest form it was asking how to perform an illegal act. So I understand the need to close it down.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-25, 22:53

I understand too. The post seemed more of a "what should I do" enquiry to me. I appreciate and respect this post and madness was 100% correct but seems a bit abrasive. It's like telling your child NO and that's it! This may have turned out to be a useful and informative thread instead turned out to be a slam the door shut on the new kids nose.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-25, 23:06

As dmd stated, I feel it was immediately shut down to protect the members of the forum.

On a separate note, discussing fish that are illegal to own in Washington, for the mere purpose of expanding our knowledge base on the fish seems harmless enough ( like a profile on them or something along those lines) . I say this because I can walk into any library or bookstore and get a book on them, in a 100% legal way. though I do believe that conversations could lead into where do I obtain some which could not only get the forum in trouble but also the individuals ......, and this leads right back to why it isn't allowed.

Hope you all can follow my mad scientist ramble .... Haha
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-25, 23:14

One word: snakehead
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-25, 23:16

lloyd378 wrote:As dmd stated, I feel it was immediately shut down to protect the members of the forum.  

On a separate note, discussing fish that are illegal to own in Washington, for the mere purpose of expanding our knowledge base on the fish seems harmless enough ( like a profile on them or something along those lines) . I say this because I can walk into any library or bookstore and get a book on them, in a 100% legal way.  though I do believe that conversations could lead into where do I obtain some  which could not only get the forum in trouble but also the individuals ......, and this leads right back to why it isn't allowed.

Hope you all can follow my mad scientist ramble .... Haha

Now if only you taught law or ethics... would make for an EPIC ramble.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-01-25, 23:19

If Cory feels it should be unlocked then he can unlock it, this is his forum and I was protecting him.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-25, 23:25

Madness wrote:If Cory feels it should be unlocked then he can unlock it, this is his forum and I was protecting him.  

Were you protecting him when you slipped that under age fishy a drink?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-25, 23:42

I don't think that it should be unlocked as the conversation had a feel to it of going sideways quick ( like offering the fish up to members on here or something) ..... The initial question seems to be an honest question by someone looking for some help. I think the short responses given hopefully help to solve the problem.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-26, 00:01

There was no need to sugar coat it. The point was made and it was closed. I think it was handled the way it should have and I dont see a need to reopen it for discussion.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-01-26, 00:03

Chiisai wrote:
Madness wrote:If Cory feels it should be unlocked then he can unlock it, this is his forum and I was protecting him.  

Were you protecting him when you slipped that under age fishy a drink?

Seriously, I have know idea what your talking about. Are you trying to be funny?  scratch scratch 
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-26, 00:05

Yes... I failed miserably. Was trying to lighten the convo as it seemed a bit heavy.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-26, 00:07

LMFAO   haha   ROFL 

Courtesy laugh thrown in....
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-26, 00:07

I don't want anybody to get into trouble, nor would I ever wish harm to the forum. It's just a simple enquiry. I was wondering why even if it was illegal why couldn't it be discussed openly in the forum. If a friend with an issue came to me for advise I would discuss it with him. Are we all not "friends"?

What would happen if I opened a discussion on my old modified Mustang 5.0. Exhaust is illegal, window tent illegal, no emissions and registered in another county. At what point would it become closed for discussion?

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-01-26, 00:08; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-26, 00:08

ty
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-01-26, 00:13

Topics like this escalate so I MADE THE DECISION TO NIP IT IN THE BUD PRIOR TO THAT HAPPENING. Conversation closed.

I am sorry if you dont like the decision, but unfortunately we come across a lot of things in life that we dont agree with, understand or like, but those decisions are made for a reason, whether you agree with them or not.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-26, 00:15

The car scenario is not quite the same. There are plenty of cars that are not 'legal' for the street but still can be bought, sold and owned just not driven on public streets.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-01-26, 01:45

Guys, the rules are pretty clear on this. If the question is "OMG, I got landed a piranha, what do I do?" then the answer is to check with Fish & Wildlife and do the right thing. Going any further leads us into grey area that can get us in trouble.

pbmax wrote:Washington FishBox respects all Washington State and United States federal laws governing the keeping, transportation, and sale of aquatic animals and plants.  As such, it is a violation of forum rules to discuss the keeping, transportation, and / or sale of plant and animal species that are prohibited by law, or to discuss engaging in aquaria-related activity that violates the law.  Please see the below information on Washington State and Federal law covering aquatic plant and animal species.

Failure to abide by these rules may result in one or more of the following forum actions, depending on severity: private lecture via PM, public lecture via post, deletion of post and / or thread, removal of offending user from Washington FishBox.  The last step is highly unlikely, but please try to respect the rules.

Discussion is always welcome, but unless we have any fish and wildlife reps or lawyers willing to give an authoritative answer, we are not equipped to answer questions of legality or procedure as the one asked. (Do we have anyone from F&W? I need a job there.)
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-01-26, 01:59

I should add, if someone does figure out what the right thing to do from F&W is, share that so the rules can be updated. Or if you guys have ideas on rules of thumb we should add to the rules, that is always welcome.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-26, 02:27

Here is my take. That thread could really only hurt people.

What if a member had said go put them in a pond. Person gets caught and he says well this person on the forum said to do it. I get summonsed to release the IP address of that person etc.

What if a member said, leave them in a bucket outside a fish store? That gets the person animal abandonment charges etc. Even if it's illegal. In general talking about illegal subjects in a public place will always be a bad idea.

In order to protect everyone on the forum. Closing such topics when they are found is the best practice.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-26, 12:23

Understood.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down