cichlid-gal
lloyd378
Aquarium Co-Op
fishNAbowl
dwarfpike
MRTom
10 posters

Go down

Checkerboard cichlid experiences? Empty Checkerboard cichlid experiences?

Post  MRTom 2014-01-24, 23:42

Browsing the web for random things, I ran into the dicrossus group of cichlids. Has anyone tried keeping these guys here and had success (or "lessons learned"?)

Dicrossus maculatus (stolen from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seems like they love soft acidic water which seems to be compatible with seattle area water.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Checkerboard cichlid experiences? Empty Re: Checkerboard cichlid experiences?

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-24, 23:52

You can find more information under checkboard cichlids or their old genera, Crenicara.

D. filamentosus is the most common, found with cardinal tetras in the wild. Not quite as colorful as D. maculatus (ime), they do have more irridescence ... almost like a cichlid version of sparkling gouramis. They look great in a leaf litter blackwater tank and are still one of the hardest cichlids to raise fry from.

D. maculatus is a clear water species so a little easier to breed, and larger with more color.

D. foirni is probably my favorite, but extremely hard to find and when it is available, it's mostly males.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-25, 00:02

Lol, I just seen 4-5 beautiful WC specimens at APFP today. I do not remember what species it was but it was written on the tank...

I like these and probably would have picked them up today if I had the room and cash. In my opinion they look better and have a neat tank attitude when grouped (3+). They remind me of flies (in movement ). I know weird , but they will quickly zip-stop-zip-stop. And when in a group they have a tendency to stick together and do it together...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-25, 00:48

Very difficult to breed. Can be a bit sensitive. All I'm saying is Kathy Olson has been trying to spawn them for like 15 years now... And she can spawn anything Razz
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-25, 01:21

Lots of really good cichlid breeders have had issues with D. filamentosus so she's in great company.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-25, 10:43

Never kept them. And I think I've only seen them in person like twice. I like the description of the fly to describe their movements that I read above. Sweet looking fish. May have to go to apfp just to see them
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-01-25, 13:39

Sounds like I need to make a trip to APFP soon.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-25, 14:05

MRTom wrote:Sounds like I need to make a trip to APFP soon.
FYI, these where WC specimens @ $16 EA.  Let us know if you get some:) Your probably researching but just thought I would add that they display typical dwarf cichlid personalities but are not aggressive. They usually stay along the substrate in larger tanks but in tanks around 30 gal you may see them venture mid level.

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-01-25, 18:23; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-25, 15:19

Here's the cichlid-forum link on the Dicrossus filamentosus...very pretty cichlid ... write up seems to indicate that it likes really soft water
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-01-25, 20:30

I'm holding off for now till I learn more. The soft water wouldn't be a big problem, my tap is less than 17ppm, but the acidic part would be. I have a pretty consistent 7.2 PH tap. That, and I like to keep my tanks at a temp of 72 or less, so I'd have to build a special setup for them. Still, exciting to find a community cichlid! If I get anything, I'd probably opt for maculatus since they seem to prefer slightly cooler water (78?).
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-01-29, 01:18

Mr Tom,
The Fish store on Rosevelt had D. Maculatus, The Wet spot has 2 of the 3 species listed above.
I have kept these both without any issues and I'm on a high P.H. well water @ 8.2 reading and
107 g.h.
I use Turface & A.P.I. ph down to get my water back to a more managable reading and it buffers well with this combo too.
Getting D. maculatus females proved to be a challenge and most store clerks had no idea of how to sex them. Lots of batches brought in are all males too.
I have done my homework and always bring a good L.E.D. flashlight with me so I can get the right fish the first time. I have to coaxed the clerk into catching "that one" which I had just spent 10 minutes prior studying before asking for help. Most won't catch what you want as a customer either.

These fish are pretty cool and live for around 5 years. As for P.H. Tom use Turface to stablize your water as it really works well. And also remember the stores and distributers are keeping this fish in the same water "WE" are. They are already adjusted by the time you get one in your tank abyways.
Good luck! Report back
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-01-29, 01:24

Sweet! Thanks for the info Smile I'm gonna have to look out for them!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxedWater 2014-01-31, 14:21

I just picked one of these up last night, my first time at APFP actually. Was active within a few minutes of being put in my 90 gallon community tank. I'll try and get a picture up when I get home from work this afternoon. The movement like a fly is about as close to a perfect description as I can think of. I only grabbed one because I was reading that they will do fine alone, if this isn't the case I wouldn't mind heading back and grabbing a couple more, hopfully get a couple females.

BoxedWater
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  leisure_man 2014-02-01, 03:13

Love the D. maculatus "Santarem".

The male.

Here is the female with 100+ fry.
leisure_man
leisure_man
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-03-05, 03:26

Leasureman,
What are your water parameters??? NIce,,, are there any fry available????

Mr. Tom,
Go the "Tom & Martins" Apistogramma website, (they're from Norway) there is A LOT of good stuff on here, including collecting trips they'v been on!
Checker board species are found in very soft, LOW PH in the wild, (so your half way there) but can adjust as a community fish,
BUT as for breeding them,,, they have been found in PH as low as get this,,,,3.9!
I just ordered an Azoo PH kit that goes down to 4.9 off E-bay but don't know if there's one that goes to the 3 range????
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-05, 08:55

leisure_man wrote:D. maculatus "Santarem".

Shocked - Wow!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-03-05, 23:47

well, either leisure man is also on apistogramma.com, or someone else is using his photos... here is the thread where the pic came from; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and the author mentions his parameters and feeding too.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-06, 01:50

LuminousAphid wrote:well, either leisure man is also on apistogramma.com, or someone else is using his photos... here is the thread where the pic came from; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and the author mentions his parameters and feeding too.

Cool  - Wethumbs, could be. Did you PM and ask? I belong to other forums, Internet question help website (aquatics mainly), and belong to a local aquarium society. I am also a moderator on another local forum. So, it's very possible... Or not -  Suspect
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  leisure_man 2014-03-06, 02:20

Yup, that's me alright. I photoshop my pictures to add the watermark as well as reduced the resolution before posting online. Obviously, it has worked very well in discouraging others from stealing my pics. I did get request for the pictures for non-commercial purposes.

As for the breeding parameters, I have listed them on the other forum. pH 3.9 ?! Not sure if that's a typo. D. maculatus is a 'white-water' species. Its natural habitat has been well documented by European explorers. I remember seeing an underwater video of D. maculatus in their natural habitat.
leisure_man
leisure_man
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-06, 13:32

leisure_man wrote:Yup, that's me alright.  I photoshop my pictures to add the watermark as well as reduced the resolution before posting online.  Obviously, it has worked very well in discouraging others from stealing my pics.  I did get request for the pictures for non-commercial purposes.

As for the breeding parameters, I have listed them on the other forum.  pH 3.9 ?!  Not sure if that's a typo.  D. maculatus is a 'white-water' species.  Its natural habitat has been well documented by European explorers.  I remember seeing an underwater video of D. maculatus in their natural habitat.

Spot On - I knew it the WHOLE time. That other guy, geesh - what nerve, hu? LOL

Wes, I kidding Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  leisure_man 2014-03-06, 14:26

Here is the video on Dicrossus maculatus.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
leisure_man
leisure_man
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down