Hey dwarfpike,

4 posters

Go down

Hey dwarfpike, Empty Hey dwarfpike,

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-24, 19:38

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just thought I would share. Lost a fat male a few moths ago. Made a trip to APFP where I found my last 2 C. Regani & low and behold they had a male large enough to stand against my beautiful adult female. I took extra care with acclimation to make sure he was beast healthy against her possible aggressions. Wish I could have gotten a photo, all the action took place under plants and woods but the female went nuts flaring and curling in front of the male. The male at a home disadvantage has done well so far. I love these dwarf pike cichlids. I'll get more photos and update after the male colors up.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Hey dwarfpike, Empty Re: Hey dwarfpike,

Post  Madness 2014-01-24, 20:23

Spot On 
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-24, 20:57

Awesomesauce!!!  Spot On 

Your tank is big enough, they should be able to escape each other when the need arises. The Tapajos regani are a little more aggressive towards each other than normal regani, but they don't reach compressiceps levels of aggression so you should be fine.

Looking forwards to more pics.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-01-24, 21:07

Pardon the question and derailing the thread FishNABowl, BUT, lol

dwarfpike, what do you know about the Acustirostris Pike? Tempermant? Compatibility? Rare? Expensive? ETC?????
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-24, 22:09

Nice fish... and $14.99 aint bad either. Were they on sale?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-24, 22:28

Chiisai wrote:Nice fish... and $14.99 aint bad either. Were they on sale?

Typical price at APFP.  -15% GSAS discount he was a little over $13 with tax. There was 1 more.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-24, 22:31

They also had WC checker board cichlids. Was a hard pull away without purchase. This is a fish that's nice to have 3-4 but at $16 a piece would have broken the wallet. But man, they had flashy iridescent fins...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-24, 22:57

fishNAbowl - Do you know if they were D. maculatus or D. filamentosus? I am guessing for the price they are the D. filamentosus.

madness - They usually only show up once every three or four years, and if I remember correctly, last time I saw them from Rapps (or it was Snookin) I think they were about the $200 range for 7"-8" ones. The sharp nose group don't tend to be as aggressive as the big bruisers of the lugubris group. I think I remember someone keeping them with big geos (altifrons) without issue, but don't quote me on that.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-01-24, 23:04

so picking up a pair for 200 bucks is a good deal then.? And putting them in with my more aggressive cichlids should work?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-24, 23:15

Well, it didn't take long for him to settle in. Here he is eating with the Angels and other dwarves in the tank. The female was a bit reserved tonight at dinner time....

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-01-24, 23:17; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-24, 23:16

It's a price I'd grab them at. I'd avoid putting them with Amph's myself, their jaws aren't as strong as the lugubris types, more delicate. Astatheros and such, sure.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-24, 23:19

They are such a neat shape difference compared to the angel, looks sharp. Hopefully you can get a shot of the female flaring. It's tough, I've always had a bad time of it.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-01-24, 23:22

fishNAbowl wrote:Well, it didn't take long for him to settle in. Here he is eating with the Angels and other dwarves in the tank. The female was a bit reserved tonight at dinner time....

Those are a nice looking Pike, looks like it will fit in nicely.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-24, 23:28

Dwarf Pike,

Last time at APFP this exact male was marked c. Regani Tapajos. This time it was unmarked but this is the exact same fish I purchased before, no differences. Now, I have no idea really what that means and have to admit that I thought Tapajos was a place and not a fish, lol. But when I research the fish on the Internet this is the fish that came up under that name. I tried to research as much as possible because I got the male before the female some time back and I was focused on finding the same species incase I got lucky and they bred. It took me a year to find the female only to have the 1st male blow her off then later die in a tragic accident in an overflow.
Here is one picture off the Internet. These two fish look exactly like the pair I have.

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-01-24, 23:29; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-24, 23:28

Thanks madness!!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-24, 23:33

It's tough trying to match them up, because males of regani, regani 'tapajos', sp. xingu, noto's, wallacii, and sp. orinico dwarf pretty much all look identical. Except for the extended dorsals on noto's and the slightly different stress pattern on sp. xingu ... I can't tell the males apart without the females being present.

If it was the same fish that was marked as regani Tapajos last time, and was still in the same tank, it's a good bet that's what it is. Usually you don't see the Colombian species until spring.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-24, 23:53

dwarfpike wrote:It's tough trying to match them up, because males of regani, regani 'tapajos', sp. xingu, noto's, wallacii, and sp. orinico dwarf pretty much all look identical. Except for the extended dorsals on noto's and the slightly different stress pattern on sp. xingu ... I can't tell the males apart without the females being present.

If it was the same fish that was marked as regani Tapajos last time, and was still in the same tank, it's a good bet that's what it is. Usually you don't see the Colombian species until spring.

I like that.... "Stress patterns", never heard that before. But I assume that's the baring along the the fishes body when "stressed". That's cool because that's one way I identify these fish as well - along with settle coloring around the eyes, and fins.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-24, 23:59

Yes, the body saddles when stressed. Apistos also are ID'd often by their stress patterns as well. I think that's where I picked up the term come to think about it, hanging out on the apisto forum.

As an example, the same sp. Irinidae dwarf in stress pattern and settled in:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

vs

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-25, 13:26

dwarfpike wrote: Do you know if they were D. maculatus or D. filamentosus? I am guessing for the price they are the D. filamentosus .

Sorry dwarfpike, I thought you where talking about the pike. I get so hung up on scientific names. If I remember correctly the full name of the checker boards was on the glass but I dont remember the name. I can tell you they looked exactly like the picture in MRToms thread he just created about checker boards & researching a little bit about the differences the fins where a striking irridecent blue (no red).
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum