New Hardscape ^_^

5 posters

Go down

New Hardscape ^_^ Empty New Hardscape ^_^

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-12, 22:34

So yeah I designed my very first fish tank to accommodate my juvie Ps. Saulosi, but they've gotten rather big now and I didn't really like my previous design due to the man-made look on the right side of the tank. After a long day's work, I've finally finished and the old/new tank pictures are below ^_^ The water is a tad cloudy since I took the pictures a minute or two after replacing all the water and turning on the filters again.

OLD (those green plants didn't last very long, so imagine this tank with no greenery lol):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

NEW:

Last edited by SonicsDC25 on 2014-01-13, 00:11; edited 1 time in total
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

New Hardscape ^_^ Empty Re: New Hardscape ^_^

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-12, 22:44

Nice!!!! Really NICE!!!!! I love it. Again...just watch these tanks with these tall "standing" rocks...I so worry about a topple and hitting the glass but really it looks awesome.

Basalt right? Very heavy and it doesn't grow algae well...mostly the purple type as you can see in some of my pics. I haven't had any green algae on it. But its good looking rock ... tanks will be dark so good lighting is a must.

You did awesome!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-13, 00:19

Thanks cichlid-gal, I've secured the standing rock with supporting rocks around it, so even a good nudge on the tank wouldn't knock it over ^_^, only worries is the bottom of the tank, as I adjusted the rocks I heard the sand scratching the tank here and there, which caused me to worry since I thought it could cause a crack O_O I'm hoping to get green algae on the rocks as well to give the black & yellow contrast a kick, however with these rocks I've only gotten up to brown algae (completely covered all rocks) in 4 months, which then I re-scaped. I'm not sure what the type of rock is, but they're used to support foundations around houses and also as landscaping decoration for gardens, took them from a relatives house.. She'll notice the big gap in her mulch sooner or later LOL!
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-13, 00:26

Good find/choice on the rocks. Are you interested or have you thought about using Anubias, and or Java ferns. I heard they stand up to Africans really well?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-01-13, 01:40

Looks very nice.  I have the same rock (leftover from construction) in a couple of my tanks.  In one tank it grew a nice green algae.

Your saulosi are looking good as well.  There appear to be more than enough males.  Neutral 
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-13, 02:51

Yeah I bought 6 juvies and 4 appears to be male :(I contacted the seller and he said he'd swap my extra males for females; however his batch of Saulosi are still juvs. I've been looking for some females all over Craigslist and every fish store, Aquabid only sells juvs as well Sad As for the rocks, I'm glad to hear that this type is capable of getting the elusive green algae ^_^
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-13, 09:36

Betty wrote:Looks very nice.  I have the same rock (leftover from construction) in a couple of my tanks.  In one tank it grew a nice green algae.

Your saulosi are looking good as well.  There appear to be more than enough males.  Neutral 

I have noticed that my tanks that are located near windows grow great green algae but for some reason this basalt rock seems to be a little resistant to growing it.  I've had this big tank set up for over a year...no green.  Maybe my mbuna eat it faster than I can see it.  And here's what the anubias look like tucked into the basalt.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2014-01-13, 13:33

I didn't think a rock had a choice what grows on it?

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-13, 15:47

JimA wrote:  I didn't think a rock had a choice what grows on it?  

Well I don't know about your rock Jim but my basalt is not the best for letting much of anything grow on it.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-13, 16:13

Well all I have for lighting is 1x T8 17Watt 50/50 Coralife bulb (10k Daylight & 50% True Actinic), the 2nd ballast is burnt out Sad Not really sure if this is enough lighting, though it possibly may be since I was able to achieve brown algae? I'm debating on getting an LED set (Marineland Single Bright) instead to see if there's better lighting and algae growth. Anyone have experience with LED's or any input on the matter? Smile
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-13, 21:45

Betty wrote:

One of my males (the 3rd biggest) seems to be really beaten up when I came home to feed them today Sad! I only saw 5 in total and was wondering where the last one was because he's always the first to the top for food. I looked all over and he was hiding under a rock, I poked him out with a stick and he had a few bites of food and then hid back under the rock, which was EXTREMELY cramped. I pushed him back out and covered up that hole with sand and noticed that his fins were all tattered.

I think I may have to drop him off at a LFS tomorrow since the other 2 dominant males have claimed the left and right side of the tank  Sad Right now I have 6 Saulosi in total, 4 are clearly male and the other 2 haven't really barred much. I'd like to have 6 in total, so should I go with a 2M/4F ratio? I can't find any females as well, which is the challenge...

**EDIT**

One of the fish I thought was a female started to bar up and chase another around.. hope I don't end up with 5M/1F or even 6M/0F in this batch I bought a couple months ago Sad
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2014-01-13, 22:36

I don't know much about Saulosi. But most Mbuna as I hope you know need more hot chicks! That being said what size is your tank? Starting with 6 is what it is, but if your thinking 4 males to 2 females prolly wont end well. 1 male to 5 females would work, either way you need more females pretty quick! You also changed the hood which means the males are claiming space, loser out is the one hiding in the rock till the dom kills him or he gets some balls and kicks a--.

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-13, 23:01

I didn't purchase the M/F ratio intentionally, as with most Ps. Saulosi that are sold, they're sold as juveniles, so I had no choice in the matter unfortunately Sad. My tank is only 30Lx12Wx20H, so it's not too big. I plan on either getting 1M/3F, 2M/4F, or 3M/9F (but this option is rather bleak due to the size of the tank). I've been checking all the LFS and even a few online places for months, but they're not in stock or don't ship in cold weather Sad. In quite a pickle at the moment O_O
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2014-01-14, 00:53

Good luck with it then I guess, you could take all the rock out so they have no territory to fight over, might help. You also can get some female labs, just don't re-sale the fry if they produce, not the best problem solver but it might keep your Saulosi alive till you get more, then find a home for the labs.. What about Cory, can he order any in?

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-14, 01:00

Who's Cory  confused  Also, I've contacted the couple that sold us the juvies, they'll be swapping my wife and I two females for two males, which is AMAZING of them. I'll still have to find new homes for the other 2 or so males, but at least this alleviates the problem a bit  cheers
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-14, 01:05

SonicsDC25 wrote:Who's Cory  confused 

Shocked .oO WT_?

Very Happy
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2014-01-14, 01:06

Good to hear! Cory owns aquarium co-op, pretty good re source.

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-01-14, 01:10

I have the same problem. I bought a bag of them at an auction not too long ago and all but one looks to be male.  Crying or Very sad 

I always had a lot of males when I used to keep saulosi and their fry.
This pic was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly, most of these were males!

Great that you'll be able to swap a couple of them.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-14, 01:21

SonicsDC25 wrote: debating on getting an LED set (Marineland Single Bright) instead to see if there's better lighting and algae growth. Anyone have experience with LED's or any input on the matter? Smile
I've been converting over to LED but I am a plant growing foOl. I like em, low energy consumption great light out put, low profile designs. The only thing , you gotta do your research because you can not change spectrums.

SonicsDC25 wrote: My tank is only 30Lx12Wx20H

Like I said , I have been converting to LED. I have a 30" CORALIFE duel T5HO fiXure collecting dust. It's a year old and needs a new home. PM me if interested Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-14, 01:55

fishNAbowl wrote:
SonicsDC25 wrote:Who's Cory  confused 

Shocked .oO WT_?

Very Happy

Ah, I've heard of the place, but I haven't had the chance to drive up there. Though I did contact them via e-mail before inquiring about Ps. Saulosi and they didn't have any. I didn't know they could possibly special order them in, but maybe I'll give that a shot later.

Betty wrote:I have the same problem. I bought a bag of them at an auction not too long ago and all but one looks to be male.  Crying or Very sad 

Great that you'll be able to swap a couple of them.

I see  Shocked  My goodness I hope everyone's luck isn't like this when it comes to these beauties. Although, those males you have in your picture are STUNNING  Smile  Whoever got them now are quite the lucky ones ^_^
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum