Lilly bulb dormancy

2 posters

Go down

Lilly bulb dormancy  Empty Lilly bulb dormancy

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-13, 00:40

Here's an odd topic! I have a Lilly bulb, Tiger Lilly. I've had it going on 4 years. It's the size of a golf ball, and solid as a rock. Its an odd thing, it sprouts, grows well for a while, then bulb will POP out of the substrate, roll around a bit, then sprout again. Only to start the process again.

This bulb has started numerous plants only to months later POP out again and lay dormant.  

I've tried researching this without success. My questions would include, what triggers growth? If you take a look at any recent pictures of my 140 you'll see a nice looking Lilly right in the middle. The bulb has since popped out of the substrate and has been dormant now for about 4 months. Once it took a good 8 months before sprouting!

Is there a particular life cycle these things have? I wonder what would happen if I removed it from the water, dry it out for a few weeks, then put it back into the water? Would that trigger the bulb to sprout?

Anyway, all input appreciated.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Lilly bulb dormancy  Empty Re: Lilly bulb dormancy

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-13, 04:26

Is this from the same Tiger Lotus Lilly you gave me?? I've yet to experience the one you gave me sprout any floating leaves, it still has nice submersed leaves, and I've yet to see the bulb POP out from the substrate. That's pretty interesting though, I never would have thought that they could do that!

I too, am curious as to what other info can be gained about these bulbs Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-13, 09:07

The floating leaves has since melted away off the plants in my tank and haven't grown any more since. When I look under the actual plant there is pea sized bulbs forming ABOVE the substrate suspended by "arms" and root from the plant.

The "mother" bulb has been just sitting there now covered in star grass. I may pull the bulb & dry it out to see what happens...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down