EXTERNAL / INTERNAL SUMP PUMP RECOMENDATIONS

4 posters

Go down

EXTERNAL / INTERNAL SUMP PUMP RECOMENDATIONS  Empty EXTERNAL / INTERNAL SUMP PUMP RECOMENDATIONS

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-27, 01:15

I think its time. Have a 1150GPH EXTERNAL pump, 6 years old starting to make a whining noise (possible bearings). Was thinking to get a replacement then possibly rebuild the one I got and or just use as a back up...

Thinking to stay with external but could switch to internal (submersible) if need to be. Its been a while since I researched these , anyone have recommendations of top of the line manufacturers? Pump power, power consumption, quietness , quality all play in effect over price here.

Any input appreciated,
Chad
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

EXTERNAL / INTERNAL SUMP PUMP RECOMENDATIONS  Empty Re: EXTERNAL / INTERNAL SUMP PUMP RECOMENDATIONS

Post  Madness 2013-11-27, 02:23

I have 2 externals that I dont use, I like the internals better, less noise. For internal I like the Rio 3100 only 900gph, and the the Deep Blues 1500gph.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

EXTERNAL / INTERNAL SUMP PUMP RECOMENDATIONS  Empty Re: EXTERNAL / INTERNAL SUMP PUMP RECOMENDATIONS

Post  bassetman 2013-11-27, 07:49

Rio hyper flow 27 and 31 are a great bang for the buck. 31 rated at 1900 gph. With two feet of head it tests at about 1400 by time.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-27, 09:00

Thanks guys, gives me a good place to start reading. I could go either way with internal and external, and the over flow is rated at 1600 gph & plumbed with a 3/4" return line so i think it's good to go with something a little bigger than 1150 without doing additional plumbing.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-29, 19:19

Though I personally have never used them, almost every reefer i've talked to recommended a danner mag-drive.

I had a cheapy harbor freight pump in my old sump and it worked well enough. only $30 or so, and it moved a ton of water, and behind a cabinet door it was quiet enough.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-29, 20:45

bronzefighter wrote:Though I personally have never used them, almost every reefer i've talked to recommended a danner mag-drive.

I had a cheapy harbor freight pump in my old sump and it worked well enough. only $30 or so, and it moved a ton of water, and behind a cabinet door it was quiet enough.
Danner mag-drive... Check! Off for some more reading I gooo.
Thanks bronzefighter!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-11-29, 21:13

fishNAbowl wrote:
bronzefighter wrote:Though I personally have never used them, almost every reefer i've talked to recommended a danner mag-drive.

Danner mag-drive... Check! Off for some more reading I gooo.
Thanks bronzefighter!
I like the mag drives but they are far from cheap, (money wise) and they are not low in wattage.  A mag drive 1200 has a 13' head pushes 1200gph at 110 watts, and runs about $120.

The Deep Blue Triton 5 is 1350 gph at a 13' head draws only 60 watts and runs you about $60.  

The mags are strong pumps, I have had 1 of those and a Deep Blue running in tanks side by side for 2 years now and the deep blue does push more water and is still running strong.  The only reason I have not replaced all of my pumps to the Deep Blues is because I dont have the money to replace 7 pumps. LOL
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-30, 02:06

Good stuff Madness, thanks!

My 1st big pump is a GEN-X PCX40 running 1150GPH MAX @ 55W. I picked it up at Pet Pourri about 6 years ago. Being relatively a noOp at that time I never researched the quality but has been a great pump without failure.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down