Puyallup Soil???

4 posters

Go down

Puyallup Soil??? Empty Puyallup Soil???

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-20, 21:08

Ok so wife and I want to do another plant tank but use soil instead of just gravel/sand. For those who dont live near the puyallup valley the local soil is black as night. I was wondering if anyone has tried using this soil???
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Puyallup Soil??? Empty Re: Puyallup Soil???

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-20, 21:16

Did you want to use outside "dirt" in particular? Because, even though it is possible when ppl refer to "dirted" tanks or using "soil" they are referring to organic potting soils sold in stores.

Please excuse me if I am off topic. I dont have any "dirted" tank experience, but it is rare to hear someone talking about using "real" dirt/soil. So if I am off mark, with above comment I apologize.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-20, 21:21

If I understand correctly potting soil is peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, sand and usually cedar or hemlock bark. It would seem the soil I have locally would be equivelent to or better then. But I would have to consult my friend @ WSU to confirm
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-20, 22:54

I hope someone who has actually used earth soil will chime in, but I have read of ppl using earth soils. There is some sort of process they put the soil through to kill live critters like parasites, unwanted bacterias, and molds. If & when you finally take on this project I hope you post step by step of the progress. Makes for an interesting topic & read!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-11-20, 22:55

since you live in graham, have you ever though of maybe getting some soil out of one of the lakes (tanawax, kapowsin, clear, ohop,silver,or rapjohn?) i am less than a novice when it comes to planted tanks and even less than that when it comes to dirted tanks...... but in my mind, if you got soil from those lakes, they are already proven fish safe(at least for our local species).

I think that might be pretty cool if you could in fact make that work
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-20, 23:17

Well I am gonna try some normal soil first. though lake soil isnt a bad idea either. My only concern is nitrate and phosphate levels. Gonna put some soil in a 10gal cover with sand and let it cycle. I will check it in a week. Bacteria wise was considering a UV sterilizer for the cycling portion? I will keep tabs on everything and report what I find.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-21, 00:03

Read on walstad method and mineralize dirt method. That will give you a better idea on dirted tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-21, 00:15

Baking the soil first will kill off any bacteria/mold/bugs living in the soil first :)I believe it is 250 for 40? min or longer. I used organic potting soil left in the sun to dry and then sifted so I only got the dusty particles.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-21, 00:22

KaraWolf wrote:
 I used organic potting soil left in the sun to dry and then sifted so I only got the dusty particles.
Thats mineralize method.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down