Canister Filter - Filter Media Trays Order

5 posters

Go down

Canister Filter - Filter Media Trays Order Empty Canister Filter - Filter Media Trays Order

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-13, 18:42

So, I'm just curious, how do you fill your media trays with and what order do you put them in? I'm well aware that there's really no "wrong" way of doing it, but I find that depending on the order you put the filter media in, it does have some kind of performance pros and cons.

Let's take the Fluval 206 Canister Filter for example. It comes with three media trays... I've read around and have seen people put in the spongy looking thing on the bottom-most tray, then the zeo-carb filter media is in the middle tray, then the bio/ceramic rings are on the top most tray. I've also read people ditching the zeo-carb stuff, and just putting bio rings in all the trays, or just having sponges in all the trays, or a combination of both, etc...

I'm one of the people that ditch the zeo-carb stuff, and just use two trays with bio rings, and then have one of the trays filled with a sponge. Although, I'm not sure if this is the most efficient way of doing this? *shrug*

That's where I ask you, fellow fishboxers! Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Canister Filter - Filter Media Trays Order Empty Re: Canister Filter - Filter Media Trays Order

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-11-13, 18:46

I've got the fluval 305 and 405. I ditch the carbon and just fill them with bio rings and polishing pads
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Canister Filter - Filter Media Trays Order Empty Re: Canister Filter - Filter Media Trays Order

Post  JimA 2013-11-13, 18:51

I think it somewhat depends on the flow, btm to top or top to btm as to where the pads/filterfloss is placed. Preferably the pads catch the poo before it hits the media.

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-13, 18:59

JimA, that's precisely what I was thinking, hence the sponge being more towards the part where water hits it first, before it goes to the bio-rings.

Upon further inspection, I think the fluval 206 pushes water in a U pattern, water comes in and goes downward through the sponges, then enters through the bottom media tray first, and then heads upwards through the output.

So it would make sense to place the sponge at the bottom most media tray, then ceramic rings on the upper trays.

I wonder if the water flow is similar with penn plax cascade filters. Hrmmm...
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-13, 18:59

Lamental Jester wrote:I've got the fluval 305 and 405.  I ditch the carbon and just fill them with bio rings and polishing pads
Great minds. Great minds.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-11-13, 19:00

JimA wrote: I think it somewhat depends on the flow, btm to top or top to btm as to where the pads/filterfloss is placed.  Preferably the pads catch the poo before it hits the media.  
Right, I didn't mention the filter floss...  I believe the way I have it set:  water goes through filter floss first, then bio rings, then polishing pad.  Good to mention flow!  Gotta make sure you don't have too much obstrutive media in there.  I've seen people complain that their canisters aren't flowing well, turned out they over did it with their media, took out the extra pads they had in there and problem was fixed

PokeSephiroth wrote:Upon further inspection, I think the fluval 206 pushes water in a U pattern, water comes in and goes downward through the sponges, then enters through the bottom media tray first, and then heads upwards through the output.
Like this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-13, 19:11

Nice find on the diagraph, LJ. Very Happy

I must say, I am falling in love with my fluval 206... got it for free, yesterday, and I'm still testing it for leaks. But so far, so good!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-11-13, 19:16

PokeSephiroth wrote:Nice find on the diagraph, LJ. Very Happy

I must say, I am falling in love with my fluval 206... got it for free, yesterday, and I'm still testing it for leaks. But so far, so good!
I've had my 305 and 405 for many years, only had a part break on me once in the 405, and was super easy and quick (and cheap) to get a replacement.  These are great filters!!!
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-13, 19:18

Ah yes, replacement parts are awesome, when it comes to these filters... even the penn plax cascade filters have great replacement parts. I heart them too.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-14, 21:28

I've got a Penn-Plax Cascade 1500 which flows from bottom to top with 5 trays.

5 - Fluval Pre-Filter Ceramic - I really like this stuff. Traps the big stuff and easier to clean than a course sponge.

4 - Course sponge

3 - Fine sponge + Fluval BioMax Ceramic - Seems to work well enough.

2 - Fluval BioMax Ceramic Media

1 - Water polishing pads

This, combined with the AC110 I have seems to keep the water clean enough. Or at least a clean as bunch of rowdy cichlids allows. Rolling Eyes 

As far as order goes, you always want to filter water from largest to smallest, like so:

Large Particles Arrow Small Particles Arrow Bacterial Filtration Arrow Chemical Filtration

bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-14, 21:41

Awesome! Thanks from r your input bronzefighter! The order of media makes sense. Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-14, 22:12

bronzefighter wrote:I've got a Penn-Plax Cascade 1500 which flows from bottom to top with 5 trays.

5 - Fluval Pre-Filter Ceramic - I really like this stuff. Traps the big stuff and easier to clean than a course sponge.

4 - Course sponge

3 - Fine sponge + Fluval BioMax Ceramic - Seems to work well enough.

2 - Fluval BioMax Ceramic Media

1 - Water polishing pads

This, combined with the AC110 I have seems to keep the water clean enough. Or at least a clean as bunch of rowdy cichlids allows. Rolling Eyes 

As far as order goes, you always want to filter water from largest to smallest, like so:

Large Particles :arrow:Small Particles :arrow:Bacterial Filtration :arrow:Chemical Filtration

I can relate it this. There are 3 different filtration systems I use. The system applies to all of them -HOB, CANISTER, & SUMP. The 1st being mechanical, to block debris. 2nd bio, to break down waste & convert. 3rd chemical/water parameter buffering. All 3 levels can consist of sub levels, meaning different types of sponges ,sponge with ceramics,  buffers, all can be used. Stuff the canister full but be mindful of flow. Not so sure about "polishing pads", I have used them but don't like them much. My experience is he extra fine media clogs up way to fast. For me I just use normal sponge, perhaps one a little thicker.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-15, 14:49

Yay! Well, I will be cleaning all of my canister filters soon, and knowing this, will definitely make me see if I did these stages correctly. I think I have them reveresed, because I always thought that the flow of the water was reversed. LOL... derp. =P
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down