+5
pbmax
fishNAbowl
cichlid-gal
Anthony J.
DrakeAquatics
9 posters

Go down

My Stand and Tank Build (Almost Free) Empty My Stand and Tank Build (Almost Free)

Post  DrakeAquatics 2013-10-28, 02:20

I came across and free 29 gallon with a bunch of accessories and figured I would get a new tank up and running. This is a super budget build with all the free materials I could find in my shed and scraps from other projects. Bored and thought I would throw these up. Let me know what you think! Questions, Comments, and Suggestions are all welcome!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This is when I first thought I should start taking some photos for the heck of it.

Using it to store the supplies while working on it haha

Painted it black and tossed it in the already cramped office

Set up tank (Only thing purchased at this point was my gravel and filter)

Wanted to go planted but for now the fakies and huge structures will stay

Came across a 10 gallon set up and threw it on top shelf until I clear out a spot elsewhere.
DrakeAquatics
DrakeAquatics
Fry

Back to top Go down

My Stand and Tank Build (Almost Free) Empty Re: My Stand and Tank Build (Almost Free)

Post  Anthony J. 2013-10-28, 02:47

Nice, mts so early? I LIKE IT!
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

My Stand and Tank Build (Almost Free) Empty Re: My Stand and Tank Build (Almost Free)

Post  DrakeAquatics 2013-10-28, 03:09

Thank you. It's only a matter of time before another tank gets set up.. I will find a nice spot for that 10 gallon and a different 10 gallon will go there! lol
DrakeAquatics
DrakeAquatics
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-28, 08:09

SCORE! to make all this from stuff laying around and free equipment. Nice work...great job!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-28, 08:55

Looks really good DrakeAquatics!

I notice when ppl build stands they put a lip around the top of the stand. Is this aesthetic or does it serve a function? My thought is over time water, & debris would find its way down between the lip & tank. When doing maintenance I notice that water always drips down the side of my tanks...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-10-28, 09:57

Great job with the stand! It looks very nicely made. Spot On 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-10-28, 10:53

Pretty inspiring DIY. I'll second the question about the lip though. Just curious what you thought about it in case I get the DIY bug myself Smile
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrakeAquatics 2013-10-28, 11:49

Thank you all.

MRTom and fishNAbowl ---- The lip is purely aesthetic. Since I used plywood on the top on this budget stand I wanted something to cover the edge of that plywood and where the different types of wood meet. It gives a much better look in the end. I thought of the build up of water and left a decent gap where I can run a rag with finger pressure if there are any spills although it would look better without said gap.

I went a little over kill on support and this thing is pretty heavy. There are a lot of changes I will make mentally if I make another stand for this size tank. I could stretch this same build out to hold up to a 220gal. Maybe at the next house : )

Last edited by DrakeAquatics on 2013-10-28, 16:19; edited 1 time in total
DrakeAquatics
DrakeAquatics
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DrakeAquatics 2013-10-28, 11:52

Another note. I covered the back which looks a lot better when you leave the front open. Another route I was thinking which would have been costed more is leave the back open to house all my pumps, cords, etc. and put on a couple doors. This was the more affordable and plan on getting some nice looking baskets to hold all the extra fish supplies.
DrakeAquatics
DrakeAquatics
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-10-28, 12:13

Very cool, thanks for sharing!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-10-28, 19:36

really digging it thanks a ton for sharing.. but i do have a follow up question..

HOW WILL YOU GET TO YOUR BEER IN THE MINIFRIDGE?!?!?!?!?!????

Shocked Suspect Shocked 
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrakeAquatics 2013-10-28, 19:56

Anthraxx wrote:really digging it thanks a ton for sharing.. but i do have a follow up question..

HOW WILL YOU GET TO YOUR BEER IN THE MINIFRIDGE?!?!?!?!?!????

Shocked Suspect Shocked 
LMAO I know!!! I moved it over just enough to get a six pack in and out haha.
DrakeAquatics
DrakeAquatics
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessikins 2013-10-28, 20:32

Very nice stand! Not bad for piecing together scraps! Spot On 
Jessikins
Jessikins

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-28, 21:19

Well it looks really good! I also built a stand a few years back for a 7 foot tank. I also used black stain (looks like what you used). I haven't put on the doors yet , had planed to. Ended up putting a 30 gallon tank opposite of the 30 gallon sump underneath the tank.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrakeAquatics 2013-10-28, 22:02

Isn't the inside of the stand supposed to be for more tanks? lol
DrakeAquatics
DrakeAquatics
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-28, 22:26

DrakeAquatics wrote:Isn't the inside of the stand supposed to be for more tanks? lol
Or any available space, ha!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrakeAquatics 2013-10-28, 23:47

Lol that's why fish lovers either open up a pet store or try to work at one.. Plenty of tanks to look at and play with haha.
DrakeAquatics
DrakeAquatics
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-10-29, 02:40

DrakeAquatics wrote:Lol that's why fish lovers either open up a pet store or try to work at one.. Plenty of tanks to look at and play with haha.
Well, that's why I enjoy working at Aquarium Co-Op hahaha.
Great build btw! Smile I love that it holds two tanks!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down