jettej
CrazedAce
Admin
fishNAbowl
13 posters

Go down

subwassertang Empty subwassertang

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-15, 13:12

The word for today is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Seems I have acquired some of this stuff as a hitch hiker & has currently stuck itself to the grill of one of my power heads & growing which looks pretty darn cool. Anyway I can camouflage a power head is a good deal if you ask me :)ha!

Anyway, anyone else growing this stuff? Experiences of best ways of growing the stuff appreciated, and of course pictures would be great.

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2013-09-15, 22:52; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

subwassertang Empty Re: subwassertang

Post  Admin 2013-09-15, 13:14

I find the less light the better with that plant. It might be because it has less to compete with with less light, but it'll seriously grow without any light lol.

Admin
Admin

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-15, 13:31

I got some of this from Tanya at the swap meet. So I am new to it as well. She attaches it to wood in her tank and it looks amazing!
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-09-15, 14:40

I got it when i bought my black moscows and bn plecos over a year ago. It was a deal! It was big and all together. Until after a while they start loosing their strength due to lack of care. Then one day i realized i'll try to wash them and replace them to a well established tank. So now i got some pieces of it and its starting to form as a carpet on my 10 gallon on my breeder tank. Pictures next time.
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-15, 17:41

subwassertang, looked it up and its real LMFAO  Pretty cool looking plant.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-15, 21:49

Admin wrote:I find the less light the better with that plant. It might be because it has less to compete with with less light, but it'll seriously grow without any light lol.
Wonder how it will grow under highlight? What do you mean "less to compete"? The piece I have is currently stuck to a power head which is about 3-4 inches under a light. Do u suggest I should move it to shade?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-09-15, 21:52

Well if you have a fast growing stem plant such as cabomba. It will use nutrients really quickly. Where subwassertang seems to always grow slow. So if stems plants are using up all the available nutrients something slow will struggle to push forward.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-15, 22:31

I have a ton of the stuff in my mystery snail tank. Once you reach critical mass you'll have more than you know what to do with. Smile Granted, it took me years to get to the point where I had a whole 10g covered with the stuff.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-15, 22:40

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:Well if you have a fast growing stem plant such as cabomba. It will use nutrients really quickly. Where subwassertang seems to always grow slow. So if stems plants are using up all the available nutrients something slow will struggle to push forward.
Understood! Then I think I will just keep it where it is for now & watch how it does. It is in a place I will see it everyday during feeding.

pbmax wrote:I have a ton of the stuff in my mystery snail tank.  Once you reach critical mass you'll have more than you know what to do with. Smile Granted, it took me years to get to the point where I had a whole 10g covered with the stuff.
Sounds like a rather slow grower then. That's good, there is no room in this particular tank for fast growing plants.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-15, 23:55

I've always wondered why subwassertang looks like sea weed. The first little sample I ever got of it was from pbmax, and it looked really cool. It looked more like a sheet of seaweed, rather than smaller intricate strands/flat leaf-like looking things that is usually sold in stores.

I do like the "sheet" look more though, pbmax, what is your secret to getting them growing like flatter sheets, instead of a whole massive clump of intricate foliage? (If that makes any sense...)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-16, 00:49

I'LL TAKE MY SUBWASSERTANG SECRET TO MY GRAVE!!!! nanana 

I dunno... it just grows that way? scratch  I don't affix it to anything, it just grows free. It's a pain after water changes... floats to the surface so I have to poke it to free the bubbles before it'll sink again.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 01:02

pbmax: I figured as much, maybe it's the years of having it in your tank. Hehehe... ;-)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-16, 02:57

Its a grandfather subwassertang. How many clippings have you taken from it? Perhaps that's the trick.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 18:15

That one tiny portion of subwassertang I got from pbmax, several months (actually, I think it's been a year now?) back, is ... well, it hasn't grown much. LOL.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-09-19, 21:27

I first had some on some petite Anbuias as a hitchhiker and freaked out (thinking it was algae) and kept pulling it off when I saw it and tossing it...Rolling Eyes ! Then i realized what it was and put a very small piece in my high tech planted tank and it's about the size of a small apple and it's very healthy. It is a very slow grower. It's one of my favorites besides my Fissidens fontanus, that plant is even better and similar in growing pattern.
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-19, 21:36

BallardFishGuy wrote:I first had some on some petite Anbuias as a hitchhiker and freaked out (thinking it was algae) and kept pulling it off when I saw it and tossing it...Rolling Eyes ! Then i realized what it was and put a very small piece in my high tech planted tank and it's about the size of a small apple and it's very healthy.  It is  a very slow grower.  It's one of my favorites besides my Fissidens fontanus, that plant is even better and similar in growing pattern.
Picked up some Fissidens fontanu early this summer. It's about the same size as when I got it, lol!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jettej 2013-09-23, 12:09

Heres a pic of my Ugly Grown subwassertang. It uses to be a solid bush until I meesed it up with poor water quality Now i'm trying to put it back to life!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
jettej
jettej

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-09-23, 13:30

I got some of this stuff as a hitch hiker on some java fern needle. Seems every month I pull a a few inch long chunks out and throw it away. I thought it was a pest. It reminds me of a macro algae you would use in a refugium. Looked up some pics, pretty cool stuff, may have to ket it grow a bit and see what I can do with it. Thanks for the thread.
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-23, 16:32

My opinion may change with time but for now I am thinking if I could get it to grow around my power head & the bracket it would make for a great camouflage. I like how its a different shade of green as well. Contrasts neatly against all the other shades of green in my planted tank.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-23, 16:36

I have some growing on one of my heaters (plastic rena smartheater). I likes to attach itself to my sponge filters as well. I should attach a bunch to a lava rock like my java fern and see how long it takes to grab on.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  awungfoo 2013-09-28, 10:38

I saw this growing in a show tank in LA and there's so many forms it takes that I think it's one of the coolest liverworts out there.  I've seen it dark green in free flowing form, I've seen it look like a clump of brain matter and translucent, but I actually really like how they get undulated and clump together sometimes like how mine are doing.  I just stuck a bunch into an opening in the driftwood and let it do it's thing.  As a Landscaper, I like watching landscape mature over time and the less I have to do, the better.

awungfoo
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-28, 10:59

awungfoo wrote:I saw this growing in a show tank in LA and there's so many forms it takes that I think it's one of the coolest liverworts out there.  
In fact, it's a fern gametophyte, not a liverwort (though it was long considered to be one).

pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-13, 00:56

Admin wrote:I find the less light the better with that plant. It might be because it has less to compete with with less light, but it'll seriously grow without any light lol.
So, months have gone by. For the most part this stuff is strung out  in pieces floating around getting stuck in plants. These are the pieces I have been sharing with other members. I notice this plants growth is different if it's under direct light, or in shade. I noticed today in a dark corner some Subwassertang has attached itself to a piece of wood. This piece in the shadows has sparked my interest because it's dark, and tightly compacted, and not all stringy like the pieces Chilling in full light.  I am hoping it will make itself around the whole piece of wood. It would look pretty cool taking the space where no other plant has grown.

Here is a picture of what it looks like. This isn't my actual plant but it looks just like it.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-01-20, 12:25

Okay, so there's something that I need to get of my chest here... it that bugs the crap out of me is when people call it subwassertang. There's no B in the spelling! In german the 'ß' character is pronounced as a double 's' sound. The closest English approximation would be to spell it as Süsswassertang. I feel better now!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-01-20, 12:27

Plus One

You and the wikipedia are of like mind.

Last edited by pbmax on 2014-01-20, 12:27; edited 1 time in total
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-20, 12:27

It's like when some people call Anubias as Anubis, or Anubas... lol
I will be honest, I used to pronounce subwassertang with a B, and I'm still trying to get out of the habit of saying it that way. =P
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-01-20, 12:45

PokeSephiroth wrote:It's like when some people call Anubias as Anubis, or Anubas... lol
I will be honest, I used to pronounce subwassertang with a B, and I'm still trying to get out of the habit of saying it that way. =P

I'm bored at work and have too much time on my hands, so I made this for you:

bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-20, 13:34

Well, I spelled it the way its spelled on the internet. Y'all can pronounce it anyway you want. Its kind of funny though, I can totally see how that would get mixed up.

90% of the time I get the pronunciations of plants and fish wrong anyway, lol!! The weird azz names ppl come up with anyway, gezz...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-01-20, 13:46

fishNAbowl wrote:Well, I spelled it the way its spelled on the internet. Y'all can pronounce it anyway you want. Its kind of funny though, I can totally see how that would get mixed up.

90% of the time I get the pronunciations of plants and fish wrong anyway, lol!! The weird azz names ppl come up with anyway, gezz...

oh i know! just giving everyone a hard time  Razz i sound like an autistic chimp when i try to stumble over some of the latin names
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-20, 13:59

bronzefighter wrote:

oh i know! just giving everyone a hard time  Razz i sound like an autistic chimp when i try to stumble over some of the latin names

I pretty much dont try. If I cant figure it out I just rename them... for instance "Laetacara araguaiae." Just too damn hard to say to people so I have named them the smiley fish lol. I figure if I goto a lfs or swap and want something they will be able to figure it out. If not then I just look elsewhere. I figure if someone ever gets snippy with me for not being able to say it correctly I can offer to them that they wont be able to say it at all if their jaw is wired shut. Its my pet peeve.

I suspect thats why alot of plants and fish have common names. Too many pissed off aquarists with their tongues tied. So maybe I should just stick to aquatics with common names eh? lol
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-20, 14:02

bronzefighter wrote:
PokeSephiroth wrote:It's like when some people call Anubias as Anubis, or Anubas... lol

I'm bored at work and have too much time on my hands, so I made this for you:

I did something similar to that graphic you made, we even used the same anubias photo. LOL!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-20, 14:08

I still want an anubis in my fish tank... I promise I will clean up after his messes and keep the mummification to a minimum.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum