black worms living in my substraight?!

4 posters

Go down

black worms living in my substraight?! Empty black worms living in my substraight?!

Post  Guest 2013-06-03, 00:18

For the 1st time I fed my fish live black worms. Taking care to poor them in from the bag a giant clump fell in the tank. Apparently the fish couldn't eat them all, now I notice worm heads poking from the substraight flowing in the current. Is this okay? Will they multiply in the tank? Is there any negative outcome having these worms chilling in the substraight?

Any insight appreciated,

Chad

Back to top Go down

black worms living in my substraight?! Empty Re: black worms living in my substraight?!

Post  CrazedAce 2013-06-03, 15:39

I have some sort of worm in the gravel of my 28gal bowfront, and that's the healthiest tank I have! Worms in the substrate are a good sign IMO. Do you have any bottom feeders in the tank? All of my community fish in the tank (porthole cats, blue and gold gouramis, and bristlenose plecos) love to dig around in the gravel to get at the worms.

I would suggest adding something that feeds off the bottom, or just stop feeding for a day or two to encourage foraging.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

black worms living in my substraight?! Empty Re: black worms living in my substraight?!

Post  Guest 2013-06-03, 16:08

Oh yes CrazedAce, top feeders bottom feeders, meat eaters, veggie eaters, got them all.
Thanks for responding. After more research and the help of another forum I found out these worms can be beneficial. Some hobbyists will intentionally introduce black worms into the tank. Fish love them, and they will feed on debris in and on the substraight. They are a natural part of ecosystems...
These worms help kick breeding off in many fish.

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-06-04, 00:31

theChad wrote:For the 1st time I fed my fish live black worms. Taking care to poor them in from the bag a giant clump fell in the tank. Apparently the fish couldn't eat them all, now I notice worm heads poking from the substraight flowing in the current. Is this okay? Will they multiply in the tank? Is there any negative outcome having these worms chilling in the substraight?

Any insight appreciated,

Chad

i have never tried live worms, where do you buy them from? all of my tanks get frozen worms as treats once or twice a week. and my big guys get frozen krill. but I'd love to treat them to live worms sometimes (and not night crawlers)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-06-04, 01:15

Cory at Aquarium Co-Op sells live black worms Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-06-04, 02:03

PokeSephiroth wrote:Cory at Aquarium Co-Op sells live black worms Very Happy

Yup, that's where I got them. Cory hooked me with a free sample , fish loved em!

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2013-06-04, 10:38

I think A Place For Pets has live ones as well, or maybe that was blood worms... I can't remember
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down