lava/lace rock

4 posters

Go down

lava/lace rock Empty lava/lace rock

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-08, 22:52

I see people comment from time to time on the importance of filing down any sharp edges on pots but I'm wondering peoples thoughts on how sharp lace/lave rock is yet it's still used in aquariums.

I've handled lace rock before and have a bunch of nice pieces of lava rock but just handling it will tear up my fingers.

Are there certain fish that are built to tolerate such sharp objects?
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

lava/lace rock Empty Re: lava/lace rock

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-08, 23:05

scaled fish can take a beating along with almost all riverfish imo no soft skins though.And i agree its just as if not more dangerous.
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-04-09, 01:59

My Malawi cichlids do fine with lace rock. I have a tank filled with it. The stuff has been there for years and I've never noticed any injuries. They are constantly dashing in and out and around the rocks and have avoided hurting themselves somehow.

The lace rock has been in the tank for so long now that it's built up a layer of algae that helps with those rough surfaces.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-09, 05:19

I used to file down pots I broke, but that was it... im using corals now.... and they are SHARP! my fish have no problem with them.... They dont brush up against them or anything.... think they learn quick.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-09, 05:33

I'm getting some Honduran Red Points and it's so out of my league to not use plants. Even managed to have plants in my Jewel tank without much problem but the person I'm getting them from said they shredded her plants. I have a bunch of what I think is called rainbow rock. You can buy it at LFS and it's tan with red streaks in it and it has holes carved in it. However because of the holes it looks fake even though it's not. I'm still considering using it because I've collected it for so long from tank buys so I've got tons but I just don't know if I'll like it. Then I have a good amount of lava rock that I've held onto but I'm so afraid of them injuring themselves. Originally had some large gnarly lava rock in my goldie tank. Tons of colors and textures on it but it kept tearing Dennis's fins. I suppose if I run into problems I can switch it up.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-09, 08:02

if the fish do not freak out and slam around like my severums they are highly agressive i would not worry
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down