+2
Ratlova30
Fishbowl
6 posters

Go down

Photographing Fish Empty Photographing Fish

Post  Fishbowl 2012-02-23, 03:18

Quick and unbelievably random question.
I would love to get some pictures of my fish, but some are less then will to stay still long enough to get their picture taken.
I'm not exactly a photography buff, but I can work a camera well enough to point and shoot. And even when I custom focus and everything I can't get a good picture of any of then besides Lorcan the Betta. (He comes to the front of his tank and poses for pictures)
I digress. Does anyone tips or trick for getting decent photos of your fish? Or at least having them not look like shinny blurs?
Thanks!
Fishbowl
Fishbowl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Photographing Fish Empty Re: Photographing Fish

Post  Ratlova30 2012-02-23, 03:35

It helps to have a good enough camera that can take decent pics without the flash on. The flash will always wash everything out and cause glares. Add as much light to the tank as possible when taking pics and hold the camera still and wait for the fish to come into the frame. My camera is a cybershot(I think) 16.2mp and it takes pretty decent pics of the fish.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I hope someone else can shed more light on the subject but sometimes it's just about having a higher quality camera.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishbowl 2012-02-23, 03:39

I am using a good quality camera. It is my father's photography camera. But I could increase the light in the tank, might try that and see if it helps since I had the flash off to start.
Fishbowl
Fishbowl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-02-23, 03:41

I take pics with the flash, but always take at a slight angel as to not cause the glare. I also speed up the shutter speed.

My son takes them with his school camera with the flash off on manual focus. He also speeds up the shutter a bit. The problem with manual focus is the fish has to at least sits still long enough to get it focused, or swim into an area that is already in focus.

You really just have to play around with the settings. I am hoping to purchase a DSLR and a couple remote flashes soon. Then I should have no problems taking good pics.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-02-23, 05:17

manual focus is the key for me! and 100 shots to get 1 good one.... The pictures ive seen lately that just blow my mind are all slr cameras.... look amazing.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-02-23, 14:24

I took these pictures with an old Canon point and shoot camera set to automatic with the flash turned on. I always set it in Macro for close up shooting and either shoot at a slight angle (too much of an angle makes them look distorted) or just crop the flash glare out if it's in the photo somewhere, but isn't obscuring the fish. Doing this at night without a room light reflecting on the glass helps as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I take a lot of blurry pictures too, but every now and then I get one in focus. Spot On

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-02-23, 14:36

Nice pics Betty!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-02-24, 01:57

I love bettys pictures... just amazing that she does it with a old camera, not one of the new dslr
's
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-02-24, 13:35

Thanks guys. I mostly use my dslr now, although I don't know anything about it and still just point and shoot with it. Embarassed But I put those older photos up to show that you don't need an expensive camera or any photography skills to take a decent picture. It just takes practice and patience and some luck.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down