Somebody is behaving badly

2 posters

Go down

Somebody is behaving badly Empty Somebody is behaving badly

Post  Ratlova30 2012-02-13, 19:52

So bought a tank and it had some fish in it. Until I get the tank set up most of the fishies went into my 30gal semi-aggressive tank. There was already a couple harlies in the tank that were moved out of the platy tank to protect the fry and they seemed to be giving the new fish a hard time. A couple juvi plecos, a couple emerald splendens, a lone endler and rummynose and three sunset tetras were added to the tank.

On a side note was wondering if someone could help me identify the sunset tetras as google can not make a match. They have the body shape as well as the two black stripes and silver body as a black skirt but their fins are a pinkish red. The anal fin doesn't seem to be as long as the black skirts but it still has good size to it. Anyone know the correct name or if it's a hybrid?

Anyways this morning I woke up to find one of the sunset tetras dead, tail fin gone. Then about ten minutes ago I see that one of the two remaining sunsets has half of it's tail fin gone and is struggling to swim. I scooped both of them out and put them in a breeder box till I get back back from work and can figure out what to do with them. The fish that were already in there before the new guys came were an adult BN, two juvi angels(pushing 2" in body size) an the two harlies. The endler and rummynose are both unharmed. Anyone's guess to the bully? The angels didn't seem thrilled about their new guests but didn't seem to bother them either. The harlies were the ones chasing everyone but everyone says they're incredibly docile...so? The sunset tetras are being targeted by someone. I would think if any fish to be targeted it would be the endler because it's so slow and small. Would have been a snack for the angels if they were just a smudge bigger but nope, just the zippy tetras are being terrorized. Any my first guess as to who the bully is would be the angels but like I said they've been chill.

I don't believe the missing tails fins is being caused by disease. I've seen fin rot before and this isn't it. Has to be another fish.

Last edited by Ratlova30 on 2012-02-13, 20:08; edited 1 time in total
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Somebody is behaving badly Empty Re: Somebody is behaving badly

Post  DMD123 2012-02-13, 19:56

In nature dont angels dine on tetras? These would be the ones I think did it.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-02-14, 12:18

I don't know, the rummynose that was in there should have been a much easier meal if food was the reason for the attack and not just bullying. I moved the rummynose into my mothers tank to be safe and the two remaining sunset tetras are in a 5gal with some loaches that need a new home. That's the only place I have for them right now until another tank is set up. Hopefully that ones tail fin will grow back. I'd like to get more pals for the sunset tetras but I don't know what they actually are. They look like a cross between a black skirt and a bloodfin tetra. I don't know, hopefully I'll have some pics up soon.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum