crossbreeding and hyrbidization of fish today plz post opinions

4 posters

Go down

crossbreeding and hyrbidization of fish today plz post opinions  Empty crossbreeding and hyrbidization of fish today plz post opinions

Post  aquaman95 2012-02-11, 12:20

in the wild two different fish meet and make a cross breed.before u say its wrong. Think they are of the same country.and are both fish why is it wrong for cross breeding in the wild.if a fish is ableto live happy and healthy it should.if two fish are forced to hybridize thats not okay and should be a form of animal cruelty but because a texas and jack are tendimg eggs they made shoul u take them away.I don't think hybrids are wrong unless man made not by accident.isee aloto of controversy on this and wanna know how u feel .am I right
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

crossbreeding and hyrbidization of fish today plz post opinions  Empty Re: crossbreeding and hyrbidization of fish today plz post opinions

Post  DMD123 2012-02-11, 13:25

Interesting article for you: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Notice point #2 in the article

2. Does this occur in the wild?

"This is difficult to support with data, but from my many years of observations in the field in Central America, and from what I have read and heard from fellow cichlid researchers working elsewhere, hybrids are very rare in the wild. Surprisingly, two species of fishes which together in the wild will not hybridize, will do so in an aquarium quite readily."

So it kind of goes back to the point that man's meddling is what makes hybrids possible. They do not naturally do this in nature.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

crossbreeding and hyrbidization of fish today plz post opinions  Empty Re: crossbreeding and hyrbidization of fish today plz post opinions

Post  aquaman95 2012-02-11, 13:47

very well written piece.this is a better excuse than saying they are a sin or whatever.i wsnted to try a fh but after seeing all deformities im staying pure
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-02-11, 17:04

This hobby is already getting difficult to find pure species, because people do this. For instance there was a thread on another forum that someone posted hey check out my new Dovii and its colors. Several said WOW cool, those that know said its a hybrid. The guy swore up and down that the parents were both Dovii, and he showed a pic of them. Yep they were Dovii. But after months of him updating pics and the fish looking more and more like a Jag, he himself started to research. It ended up that yes, his fishes parents were both Dovii, (or shall we say looked Dovii) the female in fact has Jag in her. Her parents were a Jag and a Dovii, but because she looked Dovii, everyone thought she was. Now who knows how many tainted Dovii looking fish are out there spreading this Jag gene into this species. It could never stop, and every Dovii those fish touch are a hybrid.

The same story is on another forum. Parents are Zonatus, but the guys fish looks like a Catamaco Fenestratus. But because both parents were Zo's, than this must be some special piebold Zonatus. NOT, Zonatus does not have piebolds. As this is unfolding, it looks like the original breeder had some Fens in the tank, and there is a strong possibility that he also fertilized some of her eggs. So now we have pures and hybrids in the same litter being sold as Zo's. Now this line is all messed up.

And today it is almost impossible to find a true Red Devil or a true Midas, because of all the cross breeding and hybrids.

So allowing your fish to do what they want is your choice, but when those hybrids get out and get sold as a particular fish, then the whole species starts to get F'ed up. Sure it may get sold as a hybrid, and sold again as a hybrid, but eventually the hybrid name will drop off and they will be sold as _____________.

Where do you think Blue Convicts came from? There is no such thing. They are hybrids. No a blue Convict is not a Honduran Red Point, nor is a HRP a Blue Convict. But people are out there spawning them and flooding the market with blue Convicts and calling the HRP's or vice-verse.

I know people are completely different but actually the same. You never now when a certain crossbred genetics may show themselves. My sister is white as can be with red hair, she marries a black man and has 3 children. (everyone in my family are blondes except her, we are German) Her oldest was the lightest in complexion. Her oldest son recently married an Asian woman and had a baby girl. (with blue eyes and blond hair) Get where I am going with this?

Lets keep the fish pure. This topic here is another huge reason why the bigger fish enthusiasts buy their fish on line from a breeder. Because you never know what that fish may be at your LFS.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-02-11, 17:37

I think many people get confused about this hybrid thing when they see something like a EBJD (Electric Blue Jack Dempsey) and realize these are man made fish. But the difference is they are still 100% Jack Dempsey's. They have been selectively bred to get the characteristic but no other fish was used to get this. This selective breeding has been done with Oscars to achieve the Tiger Oscar and Red also. Again no other type of fish was used to "make" it.

So madness am I a hybrid? Im half Korean after all.... jocolor
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-02-11, 17:41

Yes you are, you mutt. Very Happy But so am I. Very Happy

Exactly D. And Red Texas are a Hybrid cross between 2 different species. Just like FH have Trimac, Lyonsi, and God knows what else in them.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-02-13, 01:45

Hard to even find a true trimac anymore. Ive seen a few out there that just have a bit too much color and spangling where it screams FLOWERHORN in its genetics. Another nice fish "improved on" by man.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-02-13, 11:14

Since tghis post I've seen 3 new to me crosses and they were funky lokin
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-02-13, 15:04

Another trend that bothers me are the short-bodied fish!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-02-14, 00:48

R u talking about the bp crosses
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-02-14, 02:51

I just posted a thread on this not too long ago... remember to look thru the archive stuff before starting a new thread.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down