+3
larry.beck
Anthraxx
adal
7 posters

Go down

Tang Community Empty Tang Community

Post  adal 2011-10-31, 22:47

So tanks to the group buy Im now going to have (hopefully) a nice little TANGANYIKA aquarium.
I started with a 29g then moved to a 20g long and finally up to a 40g breeder, the surface area on these tanks is awesome.
I got a cascade canister making a nice current on the top of the tank, I also want to add a HOB filter.
I dont have a proper light for it either, so Im just using a temporary light.
all the lace rock on the background I got from anthrax's rock expedition up in poulsbo. I also thew in some of my extra dry base rock in there
substrate is pool filter sand and the shells are from various craft stores, Im ordering more shells as soon as they get them in stock at cichlid breeding.
Current inhabitants are 6 little gold occies and 2 julies dickfeldi, soon to be joined by some bulu point cyps.
anyways here are the pics

overall view

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rock detail

Occies

Dickfeldi

adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Tang Community Empty Re: Tang Community

Post  Anthraxx 2011-10-31, 23:39

really love the setup. im hoping my new 125 turns out this nice... keep us posted on how those cyps work out in there. ive always wanted to try some myself.

PS: let me know how the cedar thing is working out.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-11-01, 00:59

Looking good adal!

Just a heads up... over time those cyp's probably won't work in a 40BR. Some people say you can't keep them in anything less than a 48" tank, but personally I feel at least 60" is necessary given the amount of swimming they do. But they grow slow, so you'll have some time.

Let me know if you want to do a group buy on the shells - I've got to get some myself.

Your lace rock looks amazing - Anthraxx definitely hooked the group up well. Hell, I just went to say hi to the group and ended up buying about 40lbs worth. Smile
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-11-01, 01:04

Looks great man, really diggin the shells, and the stock. As I'm sure you have seen I am setting up a few tang tanks as well, I believe we are both a part of the upcoming group buy.... exciting!!! Anyway, looking great man, keep up the good work.

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-11-01, 01:40

Yeah I've seen that almost every African cichlids needs as much space as you can give them but I've also realized that they are real slow growers, specially tangs, calvus, cyps, comps, ect. so that's why I'm going to try to get away with this set up. Hopefully down the line I'll sell a few set ups and get a real community tank going 75g+
As far as the rock goes I think I need more, a lot more Laughing
Let's do the group buy for those shells too, might as well. I'm just waiting for them to get the one I want in stock
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-11-01, 01:54

Anthrax I think that as long. As I can borrow my uncles truck we should be good to go Laughing
I was also looking at the stand my 54g corner is on and I really like that style, what do you think?
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-11-01, 08:32

Here's a link to the place I orderd my shells from. Cichlid breeders dident have the ones I wanted either.

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-01, 12:53

Cool site for shells!

So the natural shell normally occurring in the habitat is the Neothauma Tanganyicense?

I did not see these available at the site you linked.

I still am trying to figure out my 29g... and the shell dwellers are intriguing me, so research time study
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-11-01, 12:58

I looked too, they dident have them. But there loads of others that I really liked.

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-01, 13:07

The more I have been looking into it, I think a little tang tank might be the way I want to go.

I really like the look of the calvus, a small synodontis cat and then the others have me stumped. I am not sure yet. Then the other part of me wants to do dwarf pike or Apisto.... too many choices!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-11-01, 14:00

My son has many Brichardi's available. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-11-01, 14:10

Brichardi are really cool, its nice to do a colony of them, I saw anthraxxs' colony of pulchers and was sold to do a speices tank. They really look cool.

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-01, 15:42

ya the neothauma shells are next to impossible to find. nobody out sources them from the lake in africa.. ive only ever seen one place that sells them and they are ALWAYS out of stock. GL finding em and if you do manage to locate some please post on here. ya adal my buddy just got a replacement truck so i could probably run it out there later in the week possibly. ill talk to him and text you. also if theres enough interest in more rock id probably be willing to get out there again later in the month. more likely around the 14th... let me know if youd wanna come along this time. perhaps even drive Razz
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-11-01, 20:58

DMD123 wrote:The more I have been looking into it, I think a little tang tank might be the way I want to go.

I really like the look of the calvus, a small synodontis cat and then the others have me stumped. I am not sure yet. Then the other part of me wants to do dwarf pike or Apisto.... too many choices!

tanganyikan fishes are awesome but apistos I think are even better!
just take a look at some of my SA dwarf cichlids

I know how to solve the problem, set up 2 more tanks Razz thats I got rid of that problem

Anthraxx wrote:ya the neothauma shells are next to impossible to find. nobody out sources them from the lake in africa.. ive only ever seen one place that sells them and they are ALWAYS out of stock. GL finding em and if you do manage to locate some please post on here. ya adal my buddy just got a replacement truck so i could probably run it out there later in the week possibly. ill talk to him and text you. also if theres enough interest in more rock id probably be willing to get out there again later in the month. more likely around the 14th... let me know if youd wanna come along this time. perhaps even drive Razz
I like those shells but I dout they will get them in stock anytime soon, so Im just getting a different kind.
getting the frame down here would make everything way easier.
Im interested in more rock too, Ill see if I can drive this time
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-11-01, 23:45

I have to admit, I do love apistos and would seriously consider keeping a tank of them if I could figure out how to keep plants alive. They're actually what got me into africans to begin with - we had a GBR in our community tank and he turned out to be our favorite fish.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-02, 12:15

adal, those are awesome little dwarfs you have. Thanks for the inspiring pics!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-02, 12:38

and to think we almost had a convert on our hands... Twisted Evil
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-02, 13:44

Anthraxx wrote:and to think we almost had a convert on our hands... Twisted Evil

I said the pics were inspiring not that they inspired me to get them! I like the behavior of the shell dwellers and this really interests me. Im still on the fence, so I might convert...
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-02, 13:53

Conversion FTW!
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-11-02, 23:17

any of you guys have experience with the seachem cichlid lake salt?
my tap water ph is about 7.6 and Im not going to mess with it but I wanted to
raise the gh a little bit more.
or should I just use some epson salt/marine salt?
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronfeeney 2011-11-02, 23:38

seachem works well, adds trace elements as well.
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  TerenceH 2011-11-02, 23:57

i ONLY use epsom, sea salt and baking soda.
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-11-03, 00:38

I use seachem salts and buffers in all of my tanks. I find my fish seem happier with them, and they spawn more frequently. The homemade stuff works, but seachem does have some trace elements in there as well *plus* I found they don't cost me a whole lot more.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down