Madness
VsKitchen
larry.beck
czeiszler
10 posters

Go down

Project Tank Empty Project Tank

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-22, 01:53

So I found an awesome deal on craigslist and I didn't share tongue because I knew it was destined to be mine. First of all it is 84x27x17 in dimensions and came with its own really nice stand. This is a 165 gallon tank. I bought it for 150$ from a woman whose hubby put his foot down and said lower the price or I am taking it to the dump! I want my garage back. Now for the pictures. BTW the thing is heavy as hell! Also the tank looks shorter than it is.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The last pic is of it when they had it set up.

Includes Hayward G250 filter cartridge, Lifeguard AF92 Heater Module, Under tank trickle system with Bio material, he also gave me all of his decorations. All a custom build. He also built the stand. It is huge. I am already dreaming of the possibilities and I also got a 10 gallon tank and with lid and an extra light. I am so excited my hubby says if I get the downstairs clean we can set it up so goodwill here is all my crap I don't need LOL!. Anyways tell me what you all think. I am wondering if I should bother with the trickle system or if someone on here would be interested in trading for some canister filters.
Forgot to add the hood got broken so I am hoping to convince my loving hubby to build me a canopy for it.
punk

Last edited by czeiszler on 2011-09-22, 02:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding info)
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Project Tank Empty Re: Project Tank

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-22, 03:14

Ha! I seriously considered buying that tank as well. Glad someone from here got it. Smile
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-22, 03:46

cool I am pretty excited. the glass is a 1/2 inch thick.
Spot On
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2011-09-22, 09:49

Exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it Very Happy

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-22, 12:27

So any ides yet as to what is going to live in it?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-09-22, 12:31

KEEP THE FILTER YOU GOT WITH IT!!!!!

No need to go nuts with canister filters, the filtration from the trickle system is awesome.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-22, 12:36

I saw that one and thought it looked a bit short. The picture with the canopy made it look good, so get that husband to working on it.

Now that you have a tank with some gallons on it are you ready for the dark side? CA/SA cichlids calling?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-22, 12:41

Ha I have been very tempted but also intimidated by ca/sa cichlids! Shocked
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-22, 12:43

Spyral wrote:KEEP THE FILTER YOU GOT WITH IT!!!!!

No need to go nuts with canister filters, the filtration from the trickle system is awesome.

Well does anyone else use a trickle system and if so I am ready to learn all I can. I am also going to do some research on it.
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-22, 13:19

czeiszler wrote:Ha I have been very tempted but also intimidated by ca/sa cichlids! Shocked

They can be total puppy dogs or pit bulls.... I like the puppy dog types, but even then they take an occasional nip at you.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sounguru 2011-09-22, 13:31

I personally would go micro/dwarf all the way planted to the gills on a tank that size but hey that is me.... or with the length and shallow depth that tank just screams river...

Nice find.
sounguru
sounguru
FishBox Member

Http://www.wartairsoft.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-09-22, 13:35

czeiszler wrote:

Well does anyone else use a trickle system and if so I am ready to learn all I can. I am also going to do some research on it.

I have used them and am more than happy to help.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-22, 16:02

I
Spyral wrote:
czeiszler wrote:

I have used them and am more than happy to help.

Awesome so the guy had already torn down and I have been researching but I can't find anything quite like the one he built he explained it last night but their are so many pieces pale I ended up with so much stuff. Wish i had remembered batteries for my camera. So lets start with what he uses as filter media it is hair curlers and plastic dish scrubbers? He also created his own pre filter that can be washed since there are so many of them. There are three chambers each, 2 are stacked and the third is next to them they each have slanted floors. There is a HOB custom that connects the trickle sytem to the tank. The equipment is as follows walchem iwaki magnectic drive pump max capacity 10 gpm, max head 17.7ft.,Hayward star clear cartridge filter specs effective filtration area 25sqft, design flow rate 25gpm. max working pressure 50 psi...So what I need to know is how I set it up! I am sure my hubby and I could muddle through but I have other questions like do I have to add regular filter media. How often would one need to change the filter in the hayward. I would also like to put out there that I now have a crap load of large aquarium rocks and more I will post more as I go but I am curious if anyone would be interested in the rocks for a nominal fee?

On a side note I amexcited about the in line heater. I had to order a replacement cap, but not having to see the heater in the back of my tank is pretty awesome. Anyways still have decided what kind of fish I want but I am looking at all my options and I am considering all suggestions. sunny I appreciate all the input.
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-22, 16:12

czeiszler wrote: On a side note I amexcited about the in line heater. I had to order a replacement cap, but not having to see the heater in the back of my tank is pretty awesome.

Getting the heaters out of the tank add a lot to the realism of the set up. I have been using in-lines and am very happy with them.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-09-22, 16:40

Follow this, water should flow out of the tank to:

Over flow to intake hose to trickle chamber/rain plate to bio chamber to filter media to ballast/refugium/collection area to pump to return line to tank.

Now, I am not sure where he has the Hayward unit, and I would really love to see pictures of the entire thing. That way, I could give you an exact plan, including where to put the heater, etc.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-23, 01:21

Spyral wrote:Follow this, water should flow out of the tank to:

Over flow to intake hose to trickle chamber/rain plate to bio chamber to filter media to ballast/refugium/collection area to pump to return line to tank.

Now, I am not sure where he has the Hayward unit, and I would really love to see pictures of the entire thing. That way, I could give you an exact plan, including where to put the heater, etc.

So here are the requested pictures.

This is the homemade filter and he used to run them through the washer.
The last three are bio media

So those are the pics I have tell me what you think.
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-24, 01:10

Started cleaning the great room this evening going to try to get the tank in there tomorrow. Then we are going to clean it and decide what to put in it. I was thinking Dwarf Cichlids? or Dwarf Puffers or gosh the possibilities are endless. I am also looking for quality apple snails. So any suggestions? I am ready to have this tank up and running so I can sit and watch my fish.
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-24, 13:13

czeiszler wrote:I was thinking Dwarf Cichlids? or Dwarf Puffers or gosh the possibilities are endless. I am also looking for quality apple snails. So any suggestions? I am ready to have this tank up and running so I can sit and watch my fish.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo No

Say it isnt so... Evil or Very Mad

That many gallons and you want "dwarf" fish? affraid

Some of the larger more gentle cichlids would be great in there. Something like a chocolate cichlid, with some smaller firemouths, blue acara or cutteri, add some larger schooling fish like Buenos Aires tetras of silver dollars, a school of pictus cats, bristle nosed pleco. A nice mix, might even be able to keep larger live bearers in there.

I am not all about cichlids, I have got a nice mix of larger community fish, but I will say the larger cichlids are true wet pets and you will find they will soon become your favorites.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-24, 18:07

So one step closer one step back I just paid a buddy to help move my tank and all he did was slide it into the back of my hubbys truck. Got me my truck back but wasted my time to be honest. He was like not worried about the money right now but his wife wanted it so now I have my fish tank in another vehicle and not really any closer to being in my house. I used to be able to call all my friends and say come help me but now I live 100+ miles from anyone I really know and it is frustrating. Anyways not trying to complain just felt the need to unload a little of my irritation and grief.

DMD123 wrote:
czeiszler wrote:I was thinking Dwarf Cichlids? or Dwarf Puffers or gosh the possibilities are endless. I am also looking for quality apple snails. So any suggestions? I am ready to have this tank up and running so I can sit and watch my fish.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo No

Say it isnt so... Evil or Very Mad

That many gallons and you want "dwarf" fish? affraid

Some of the larger more gentle cichlids would be great in there. Something like a chocolate cichlid, with some smaller firemouths, blue acara or cutteri, add some larger schooling fish like Buenos Aires tetras of silver dollars, a school of pictus cats, bristle nosed pleco. A nice mix, might even be able to keep larger live bearers in there.

I am not all about cichlids, I have got a nice mix of larger community fish, but I will say the larger cichlids are true wet pets and you will find they will soon become your favorites.

haha
Like I said I am still looking. I wouldn't mind having larger cichlids I just wasn't sure how well they would do in a 17 inch tall tank also wouldn't the larger cichlids eat the tetras eventually? Violent
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-24, 18:23

czeiszler wrote: I wouldn't mind having larger cichlids I just wasn't sure how well they would do in a 17 inch tall tank also wouldn't the larger cichlids eat the tetras eventually? Violent

Yes if they are the smaller type, they slowly start to disappear Suspect one by one. Possibly faster schooling fish like rainbows might not get eaten or giant danios. Silver dollars are a safe bet but are considerably larger. They are always the first fish people seem to notice in my tank, asking if they are piranha's Rolling Eyes Then everyone asks about the big Midas, asking if he is a goldfish scratch
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-24, 18:26

I'm no expert in large fish, but I don't think most would do well in a 17" high tank either. Especially since this looks like it's rimless or eurobraced so the water is quite likely to be 1" or more below the top of the tank, plus assume 1-2" of substrate. I suspect you'll end up 14" of water in there at best.

Hey czeiszler, let me know when you decide this tank is the right footprint for you - I'm still interested in it. Smile
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-24, 18:41

The only big cichlid I recommended was the chocolate cichlid which is a big boy at around 12". that might push the depth thing a little bit. I dont think there would be issue with the smaller acara or firemouths.

Knowing that the former owner used it for discus and the new owner has angels, this seems pretty appropriate to just make the tank occupants based around a large group of angels and various tetras. With this set up the dwarf cichlids would be pretty nice.

DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-24, 19:51

larry.beck wrote:I'm no expert in large fish, but I don't think most would do well in a 17" high tank either. Especially since this looks like it's rimless or eurobraced so the water is quite likely to be 1" or more below the top of the tank, plus assume 1-2" of substrate. I suspect you'll end up 14" of water in there at best.

Hey czeiszler, let me know when you decide this tank is the right footprint for you - I'm still interested in it. Smile

So why would this tank not work for me? LOL and what were you planning to put in it if you got it Larry. ALso if I did decide I didn't want it you are a fair distance away from Lake Stevens and also how would I get myself a tank this size(at the same great price) for my fish room(AKA the great room I am cleaning). It is rimless but has three pieces of glass on top used as braces.

The people who owned it had discus with no substrate.

DMD I really like angels but in my experience so far they have a hard time being together Violent and the angels need taller rather than long wider tanks. I was thinking or fish that could thrive in the depth I have.

czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-24, 20:23

I'm not predicting it won't work out, just harboring a small hope. Razz

I think it would be a fantastic planted tank. I'd have a hard time not putting shellies in it, but it might well become my first planted tank if I had it with a variety of bottom dwellers and one oversized group of shoaling fish.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-09-24, 20:34

larry.beck wrote:I'm not predicting it won't work out, just harboring a small hope. Razz

I think it would be a fantastic planted tank. I'd have a hard time not putting shellies in it, but it might well become my first planted tank if I had it with a variety of bottom dwellers and one oversized group of shoaling fish.

Do you have a larger(same size comparable) tank you would be willing to trade and would you want the filtration? Also it doesn't have a lid right now. I see what you mean about a planted tank. I still can totally use this tank and just go the dwarf route but I am open to my options. It is a really nice tank and whats funny is I just replaced the cap on the inline heater(through the mfr co.). They got me the replacement in 2 days! Anyways you realize this tank is heavy as a horse? I am open to discussion. The other thought is it will take both of my trucks to haul it that distance because of how large the stand is. scratch
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  Billiethekid 2011-09-24, 21:29

go simple with a Corys and Tertras and Apistos.. then plant it with basic or high light plants and let it just take off... maybe cherry shrimp also to add some interest >.> atleast thtd be my call on it.. cause its shallow enough to go all sorts of plants including lillies =-)
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/andrew.arcand

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-24, 23:19

Billiethekid wrote:go simple with a Corys and Tertras and Apistos.. then plant it with basic or high light plants and let it just take off... maybe cherry shrimp also to add some interest >.> atleast thtd be my call on it.. cause its shallow enough to go all sorts of plants including lillies =-)

I could actually picture this.

Dont build a canopy for it but suspend light above and pick plants that would grow out the top... Still a lot of gallons of water for small fish scratch
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-12-22, 03:22

Update Time: So I have not been able to setup this tank and I am feeling kinda disappointed on a side note though. My hubby and I moved it out of his truck last weekend and into the garage. So I can officially say it is in the house just a couple hundred feet shy of where I wanted it Smile Oh well beggars can't be choosers. On the other hand i did pay my friend Hubby 60$ to help move it into the Fish Room(Shh Don't tell my hubby I called it that, he still sees it as the family room.) Anyways the guy I paid only helped us move it from my truck to Curts and took the money and never came back to help(lost cause). So as for the Fish Room it is still technically the family room but I have managed to move 3 tanks into it. Very Happy We'll see how long he keeps his family room once I get my 150 gallon tank in there. haha Twisted Evil
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-12-22, 14:21

Good work! Spot On You will slowly make it your fishroom. Now we just need to convert you over to cichlids! And NOT Africans! LMFAO
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  vancouver_98683 2011-12-24, 02:31

I think some Geophagus Orange Head Tapajos or other smaller sized geos would be cool for this tank. To add, $60...... for a move/transport transaction and not come back!?!? Not sure if you were close to other members, but I presume peeps in here would of helped for free. If I was close, I would.
vancouver_98683
vancouver_98683
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd 2012-01-08, 16:00

My 155G with that thick glass weighted over 400 lbs according to the guy that helped hump it into my cave... 1/2 inch glass too.. Bill in Va.

williemcd
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down