Mandarin Neo's

3 posters

Go down

Mandarin Neo's Empty Mandarin Neo's

Post  Guest 2011-09-18, 16:26

So when I was at pet pourri they had just a few orange/mandarin/tangerine neo's in a tank. I loved the look of them, and sense we have a large breeding pop of RCS I thought maybe we should give them a try. Any one know if they are as easily bred? Or even maybe where I could get a few more to increase the odds?

Back to top Go down

Mandarin Neo's Empty Re: Mandarin Neo's

Post  VsKitchen 2011-09-19, 01:35

I've been reading a bit about shrimp the last couple weeks for my own knowledge, and your post made me think of something I'd read - that RCS & a couple other varieties are all the same species of shrimp just selectively breed for color. I'm not sure what you saw at the store, but maybe it's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and if it is, it should breed just as easily as a RCS since they are essentially the same species just selectively bred for color.

On a side note, I read somewhere that if other Neocaridina Heteropoda variaties are put in with RCS that eventually they'd lose their selectively bred colors and return to the wild colored appearance. I don't know how true that is, but it might be something to investigate further.

Hope that helps Smile

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kruz253 2011-09-19, 01:47

Mandarin's, They can breeding in captivity. Its not the easiast for most.
Good Luck.
Kruz253
Kruz253
Fry

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kruz253?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-09-19, 13:29

That picture looks exactly like them. They are in a separate tank from the RCS so no worries about cross breeding. The only thing is that we only have four. I am not sure how good the odds are. One is for sure a girl because she has that saddle thing.

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2011-09-19, 14:19

I would think they'd breed just as easily as the RCS then. If there's just 1 female, it'd be a slower growing colony due to the logistics of that. I haven't bred shrimp before. You might ask for help from Jacko (he's got quite a shrimp breeding project going), Addictedtofish, or Larry.Beck. There was a thread a bit ago about shrimp breeders and they mentioned colonies they have going.

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-11-10, 15:11

So I want to get more shrimp for this tank, but I am not convinced they are the neo's. I am worried they could be orange bee shrimp. So how do I tell the difference? I can't get a good picture of them because my camera doesn't do well when zoomed at all. So are there subtle differences I could look for? I would like to know so I can either try to get the same exact shrimp, or look for the opposite species so they won't breed together.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-11-10, 15:23

Or maybe they are sunkist? Sigh, I hate that the place wasn't clear on exactly what they are.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacko 2011-11-15, 00:44

How much were they marked at? The orange sakura/pumpkin neo are still new in the hobby and if you found thm for less than 15 a peice I doubt its them, same goes for tangerine tigers. 3-6 is common for sunkist shrimp so that might help narrow it down.
Jacko
Jacko
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-12-02, 17:29

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Im thinking based on the price they may be the sunkist then... I am trying to add a picture of one that we just moved temporarily to maybe help id it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacko 2011-12-04, 05:39

Defenitely looks like a sunkist to me!
Jacko
Jacko
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-12-05, 00:49

sad days Sad no baby shrimp for me!

Back to top Go down