gobluecichlids
TerenceH
Bassman42
JimA
11 posters

Go down

The wet spot Empty The wet spot

Post  JimA 2011-09-18, 10:08

I see they are out of Portland. Looking at some white top Afra from them, anyone know much about them good/bad? Their feedback looks good just looking for some thoughts from the locals Cool

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

The wet spot Empty Re: The wet spot

Post  Bassman42 2011-09-18, 10:52

It's a great store, high quality. They also have a wholesale part called The Cichlid Exchange in whitch many local stores order from, Like A place for pets.
Bassman42
Bassman42
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TerenceH 2011-09-18, 12:27

If you are going to order from them wait another few weeks they will have more variety of stuff. I am thinking about ordering from them and/order one of the suppliers back east.
TerenceH
TerenceH

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-09-18, 13:03

Larry Beck has em too, I had em and they are nice when the Males lightens up.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-18, 15:07

The Wet Spot is a great place to visit. Jim, if you consider driving down I'm always interested in a trip. And white-top haras are definitely one of my personal favorites, along with some of their Cyno. cousins.

My WC group finally shows signs of regular spawning. They spawned once a while back and I have 10 F1 juvies at 1/2"+ growing out. They spawned a month or so back but I was leaving on vacation and didn't get the babies, but 2 more are holding as of now.

It's surprising, but I basically had to give the group of 7 (2M:5F) their own 40B to make it work. I'm still male heavy though, as I have 2 more males in my shown tank. But they don't color up very much or very often without females around.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rattle1972 2011-09-18, 15:33

i just ordered some fish about a month or so ago. its $15 to the seattle area no matter what size box. at least thats what the guy told me and thats what i paid. alot cheaper then the gas to drive down. everthing arrived perfect. the guy called me back a couple times to inform me on my order. a very nice and easy store to deal with.
rattle1972
rattle1972

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-09-18, 15:58

larry.beck wrote:The Wet Spot is a great place to visit. Jim, if you consider driving down I'm always interested in a trip. And white-top haras are definitely one of my personal favorites, along with some of their Cyno. cousins.

My WC group finally shows signs of regular spawning. They spawned once a while back and I have 10 F1 juvies at 1/2"+ growing out. They spawned a month or so back but I was leaving on vacation and didn't get the babies, but 2 more are holding as of now.

It's surprising, but I basically had to give the group of 7 (2M:5F) their own 40B to make it work. I'm still male heavy though, as I have 2 more males in my shown tank. But they don't color up very much or very often without females around.

I don't see a trip down any time soon. Larry you looking to sell a few? All I really need is a male and a couple of female or 2 males and 4 chicks. I have not called them yet but ordering would definatley be cheaper than driving down not to mention my own schedule. Sad See what you might want to come up with?

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-09-18, 16:45

rattle1972 wrote:i just ordered some fish about a month or so ago. its $15 to the seattle area no matter what size box. at least thats what the guy told me and thats what i paid. alot cheaper then the gas to drive down. everthing arrived perfect. the guy called me back a couple times to inform me on my order. a very nice and easy store to deal with.
'

I'd do that option too. Saves a lot of time and money.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-18, 17:45

Yeah Jim, these guys will be for sale as soon as they're big enough to move. PM me with how big they'd need to be before you could take them and we'll see if we can work something out.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-18, 21:11

I like the wet spot Embarassed that sounds bad...

Whenever I am down in Portland I stop in, you can get lost in that place for hours looking at fish.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-09-19, 17:46

I make the trip from tacoma to portland just to see that shop. Great place.

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-19, 19:51

Current fish list:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-19, 20:42

Im am more than willing to take a road trip if a few of you want to tag along, and help with fuel. Then again, 15$ for shipping is probably cheaper. But seeing in person is almost worth it. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-19, 21:04

Where do I sign up?
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-09-19, 21:16

It's much more fun to walk up and down the aisles and actually see the fish. I spend way too much time looking, but the employees have always been nice and don't seem to mind. When they say they will call you when a fish comes in that you are looking for -- they do, which is not my usual experience with fish stores.

I go down to Portland to see some metal shows now and then and always try to stop in at the Wet Spot while I'm there.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  me 2011-09-22, 23:34

Awww, I miss the wetspot. Still trying to find it's equal here in Japan.

Hi Larry, how are your Kampampa? Or were they Moba??
me
me

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-23, 01:21

me wrote:Awww, I miss the wetspot. Still trying to find it's equal here in Japan.

Hi Larry, how are your Kampampa? Or were they Moba??

What are the typical kinds of species you find in Japan, Todd?

I went with the Moba from Allen. All 15 are thriving, along with a couple groups of calvus, some goldhead comps and a school of cyps that I got during the Reserve Stock Cichlids group buy. The bull male about 4" now, and the smallest is about 2". Beautiful blue colors and their barring is impeccable. We just moved into the house we built all last year and they were able to move from the 55g grow-out to a 125g grow-out. I have their next sitting in the garage already, a 8 foot 300g acrylic. It needs a fair amount of work before I set it up though.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-23, 01:23

madness wrote:Im am more than willing to take a road trip if a few of you want to tag along, and help with fuel. Then again, 15$ for shipping is probably cheaper. But seeing in person is almost worth it. Very Happy

Madness - I've got a guy ready to build me a steel stand down there, and need to pick up some 55g drums. Probably several weeks out (I haven't confirmed on the stand) but are you interested in a trip down in 4-6 weeks? I need to do a weekend day, and I know you had summertime commitments - will those have ended by then?
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-23, 02:00

Quite possibly. But going to Portland and then Poulsbo. affraid Thats a lot of driving. Its like driving to Portland twice. affraid Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-23, 02:03

LOL nah, I'd meet you either downtown or in Tacoma.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  me 2011-09-23, 02:45

larry.beck wrote:

What are the typical kinds of species you find in Japan, Todd?

I went with the Moba from Allen. All 15 are thriving, along with a couple groups of calvus, some goldhead comps and a school of cyps that I got during the Reserve Stock Cichlids group buy. The bull male about 4" now, and the smallest is about 2". Beautiful blue colors and their barring is impeccable. We just moved into the house we built all last year and they were able to move from the 55g grow-out to a 125g grow-out. I have their next sitting in the garage already, a 8 foot 300g acrylic. It needs a fair amount of work before I set it up though.

Weird, I wrote a response and it isn't here, I will try to replicate now but it's never the same Razz

In general there are allot of community fish, smaller fish, since most people have smaller homes. As for cichlids, lots of Rams, and some Discus. I have seen Africans once at a corner of a hardware store or something that had a surprisingly big pet store attached. Some weird lookin Oscars, and that's about it. tons of shrimp, plants, guppies, beta, and tetras. I also keep seeing random"What is that!?" Cichlids, sometimes I can't tell if they're Africans or SA/CA. But cool none the less. Of course the local water ways are filled with Koi, and also some Cichlids and various tropical fish which were let go. There is a nick name for the Tama River.. THE TAMAZON. Apparently there are Gar Pikes, Arrowanas, and many other Tropical fish in the River. The theory is they hang out buy the industrial plants in the winter, staying warm from the run off. Kinda tempted to throw a line in and see what I get. My wife says no fishing license is necessary in Japan. Not sure if I believe that 100%, but in general I think the rule in Japan is if the public as a whole believes it, the police let it slide.
me
me

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-10-26, 02:14

id love to contribute on a trip down to the wet spot. always wanted to go down there... would love enough time to work on my new tank first tho.. just snagged a 125 today. plz post up somewhere if you guys do end up deciding to head down that way. thanks!
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down