Lighting for a 25 gal planted tank

4 posters

Go down

Lighting for a 25 gal planted tank Empty Lighting for a 25 gal planted tank

Post  funkyfish 2010-12-18, 03:57

Need some advice regarding whether this may be too much lighting. Planning on setting up a 25 gal cubed tank, which is 18" across. So far only lighting that I have found is the Nova Extreme T5HO X2 - Saltwater : 18" - 36 Watts - (1x18 Watt 10K Daylight + 1x18 Watt 460nm Actinic). Since freshwater setup only starts at 24", thought I would get this and then replace the 460nm Actinic with a TrueLumen 18" 18W 12000K T5. Is this too much light? I also plan on having a CO2 setup as well.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

funkyfish
Fry

Back to top Go down

Lighting for a 25 gal planted tank Empty Re: Lighting for a 25 gal planted tank

Post  Billiethekid 2010-12-18, 04:01

3.5 watts of power per gallon is what u want for planted tank...
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/andrew.arcand

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2010-12-18, 09:48

Replace the 12K with something like this one- 18W, TrueLumen Flora:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

36watts for a 25gal is less than 2watts per gal so it might be a little on the low side for co2. How deep/tall is the tank?
Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  flo77 2010-12-18, 13:52

Agree with Kianna, a 6500 or 6700K will be a better choice.
By now stay with 36W you can grow some nice plants because you have CO2. Any Fern, Bolbitis, Anubia will be more than satisfied with that light. I grow with this amount of light: Eichornia diversifolia, Blyxa japonica, echinodorus vesuvius, Echinodorus quadricostatus.
However you may have problems with foreground plants, you can try any moss, Pelia, Staurogyne, Dwarf hair grass.
If you try 3.5W/gal you will live on the edge: you will have a lot of growth, plants or algae, that's depends how much experience you have to keep your aquarium balanced.

flo77

Back to top Go down

Post  funkyfish 2010-12-19, 14:20

Kianna wrote:Replace the 12K with something like this one- 18W, TrueLumen Flora:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

36watts for a 25gal is less than 2watts per gal so it might be a little on the low side for co2. How deep/tall is the tank?

Thanks for the advice. Ironically, I had just found the above site carrying the flora bulb in 18" - at least my choice has widen (I was trying to find a supplier that carried the 6500K in 18").

Depth of tank is 18", figured once I put in substrate, would really only be 16".

So, this may not be the way to go for the lighting? I was also looking into building a hanging type of pendant light that used CF spiral bulbs (the design I like better, but would not solve the wattage issue) - similar to the Current USA Brushed Aluminum Pendant. But of course I will run into wattage issues.

Think I am getting loss by the minute in this hobby. confused

What are my alternatives for this tank (18" x 18" rimless) as far as lighting? That would have the right light intensity.

Thanks.

funkyfish
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  funkyfish 2010-12-19, 14:24

flo77 wrote:Agree with Kianna, a 6500 or 6700K will be a better choice.
By now stay with 36W you can grow some nice plants because you have CO2. Any Fern, Bolbitis, Anubia will be more than satisfied with that light. I grow with this amount of light: Eichornia diversifolia, Blyxa japonica, echinodorus vesuvius, Echinodorus quadricostatus.
However you may have problems with foreground plants, you can try any moss, Pelia, Staurogyne, Dwarf hair grass.
If you try 3.5W/gal you will live on the edge: you will have a lot of growth, plants or algae, that's depends how much experience you have to keep your aquarium balanced.

Thanks flo77. Have to figure how to increase the w/gal given the setup I am thinking. Have not commit to lighting route yet since cabinet is being built for this tank. Design and visual are just as important.

funkyfish
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Billiethekid 2010-12-19, 15:29

for my 7.5 gallon planted I have a standard desk lamp that I lined the inside of the shade with Tin Foil shiney side out and then stuck a 24 watt Florescent bulb in there... the desk lamp is one that has the rotating arm for the top to so I can put it directly over my tank and have it sit really close. this is what I did to save Money and Create a nice light for my tank.. But my tank is much smaller than yours.
Moral: Aquarium Stuff is More Expensive while the Common Stuff is Cheaper and can do better for less.
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/andrew.arcand

Back to top Go down

Post  funkyfish 2010-12-19, 16:46

Billiethekid wrote:for my 7.5 gallon planted I have a standard desk lamp that I lined the inside of the shade with Tin Foil shiney side out and then stuck a 24 watt Florescent bulb in there... the desk lamp is one that has the rotating arm for the top to so I can put it directly over my tank and have it sit really close. this is what I did to save Money and Create a nice light for my tank.. But my tank is much smaller than yours.
Moral: Aquarium Stuff is More Expensive while the Common Stuff is Cheaper and can do better for less.

I purchased a sunlamp from Fred Meyer the other day ($45) that comes with a 6500K 4 pin CFL, 27 watts. A possibility is to remove the base and clamp the pole onto the cabinet and have the light directly over the tank (it's gooseneck style). I have not gotten a 2 thumbs up from my husband yet due to style. The pole and light are white. Would probably look better if they were polished nickel. Again, seem like the wattage are not sufficient, will wait and see if this option would work. Will continue to seek out other options and great suggestions!

Thanks.

funkyfish
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down