new tank, new fish & dead snails... :(

+3
Spyral
sidekicking
Paintguy
7 posters

Go down

new tank, new fish & dead snails... :( Empty new tank, new fish & dead snails... :(

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-01, 00:50

Finally got up to Marysville and for a sweet deal from Sandnuka on a tank & fish. Even threw in a few plants. Got home and my Ebay purchase of 20 Nerite snails finally arrived.... all dead!.... grrr... dealing with the seller now. I realllly needed them as my 50 gal has some wicked tuff green algae that takes some serious muscle to remove.

But got the tank all set up and the fish are happy.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

new tank, new fish & dead snails... :( Empty Re: new tank, new fish & dead snails... :(

Post  sidekicking 2010-10-01, 01:00

Oh that totally blows dude
How much did you spend on the snails?
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

new tank, new fish & dead snails... :( Empty Re: new tank, new fish & dead snails... :(

Post  Spyral 2010-10-01, 01:09

I pwn snailz!
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-01, 01:21

I paid about $22 for 20 of them shipped, & got 29 dead ones. I have them in a big mug in my tank... hoping they are just "Sleeping" after the 3 day trip from Florida. I saw some down at Blue Sierra in Issaquah but they were $3-4 for one snail.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2010-10-01, 01:47

I didn't know you could buy snails on eBay pretty cool...talk to jimmy at aquarium plus he sells nerite snails for 3 for 5 bucks....pretty cheap
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-10-01, 04:25

Glad you got the tank up and running! what fish are you keepin in it now? the peacocks? or did you keep the originals? You need to throw up some pictures!

and congrats on winning the POTM last month!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-01, 13:50

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
All set up waiting to move my peacocks and haps in. Maybe today.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
And this is an embarrassing picture of my 50 gal with all the green algae build up. The cup is full of the snails that I am still waiting to awaken (e-mailing the seller back and forth a bit now to work something out). The fish are doing great in here and love my rock set up. Still need to take my last plant out and maybe the wood too to keep the ph up. Tested the water and the ph level was an exact match from their home.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-01, 13:52

& I can add that bowfront is really heavy to carry up stairs solo with a bit of sand in it.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-10-01, 15:10

i cant believe you did that yourself! lol.... your the hulk man. Anyway, the set ups look freakin awesome! glad you got them, I know you will enjoy them.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-01, 16:14

Interesting with the snail concept... I found one tiny little snail in the bowfront that made the trip here in the gravel.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-10-02, 11:08

Very nice!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-10-02, 14:07

You may or may not have done this, but...did you shake each snail or smell to conclude it or they are dead?
When my single nerite passed, it smelled like rotten eggs!!!
Imagine a box full of'em!!!
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-02, 19:05

no they did not stink when I got them.. well any worse than ocean water. Had my son float them in my tank till I got home then I put them in a bowl of the tank water to adapt to it... saw a few holding on to each other but no movement to speak of. None of them woke up from the trip. Bummer as he gave me extra and one Conch too.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  icer711 2010-10-02, 19:18

like he said there should be no smell .... besides a little fishy water smell (you will know if u smelt it kinda musty) and the warmth helps them... but you really dont need to float them just place them snail side down and shell side up and if there there they should be off and running.... one note the olive one can take up to 3 day to get moving after being shipped all others should be good to go in no time
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-02, 19:33

They were the olive ones and they are definitely wreaking now so I tossed them. Ug... I just threw up in my mouth thinking about that smell.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  icer711 2010-10-02, 19:41

yep that means there dead n gone... tell you guy they stink so he should do something for you if not look up my gal she will get you taken care of
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-10-02, 20:18

Well.. I went back threw them again and put the ones that were closed tight back in a tank. The shipper said the dead ones hang out of their shell a little. A shred of hope for them.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  icer711 2010-10-02, 20:34

Good luck but it u sniffed each one and each one smelled there gone even if alll sucked in tight
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down