+5
Addictedtofish
stierwalt3
sandnuka
Mikey
Betty
9 posters

Go down

Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid)  Empty Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid)

Post  Betty 2010-09-28, 18:32

Rusties are one of my favorite mbuna.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Males can be very nasty to each other. The one in the net was so badly beaten up that I was able to pick him up in my hand to transfer him to a hospital tank. After he recovered I put him in the breeder net to let the others get reacquainted. I had to try every trick I could think of to keep him from getting beat up again. I tossed in all the fake plants and decorations that I had around, switched the rocks around, and finally had to cover the tank for a couple of days of darkness before the others left him alone. They still fight, but it hasn't gotten that bad again.

These are offspring of one of the males above. Fighting just like Dad!

A video of them going at each other.

Holding female -- not as brightly colored as the males.

Fry
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid)  Empty Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid)

Post  Mikey 2010-09-28, 18:37

Awesome pics Betty! And great video as well afro
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid)  Empty Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid)

Post  sandnuka 2010-09-28, 18:47

Wow! think you made the one of my fav. mbuna now! ..... almost, still a demasonai fan though. Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-09-28, 18:52

Yeah I'm digging those as well. Would they mix well with Saulosi??

BTW great boxing ing footage!
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addictedtofish 2010-09-28, 19:03

I have 4 of those in my peacock/mbuna tank, they do have some nice coloring to them and not overly aggressive.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-09-28, 20:38

Addictedtofish wrote:I have 4 of those in my peacock/mbuna tank, they do have some nice coloring to them and not overly aggressive.

Their aggression seems to be very tied to their tankmates *and* tends to be very con-specific. A quad seems to do nicely in most tanks, but having multiple males is hit-or-miss.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SomethingFishy 2010-09-28, 21:09

Oh I cant wait to get some oh boy oh boy lol like waiting to go get candy when your little lol!!
SomethingFishy
SomethingFishy
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-09-28, 21:14

Stierwalt3, I do have a few older juvies in a tank with saulosi and they have been fine so far.

Larry, my quad consists of one female and three males. Shocked I started with five juvies a few years ago, one died early on.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-09-28, 22:34

Very nice pics Betty..... you are really doing these fish the justice they deserve with your camera skills. Once again amazing pics.

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-09-29, 00:23

Betty wrote:Stierwalt3, I do have a few older juvies in a tank with saulosi and they have been fine so far.

Cool I just might have to get some to add more color to the tank! Spot On
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2010-09-29, 09:44

Very nice pics!

In the video...theres a larger blue fish that keeps coming into shot......can I ask what that is?
Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-09-29, 12:00

Thanks all. Very Happy

Kiana, that's a Dimidiochromis compressiceps aka Malawi eye biter. A really cool fish.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  me 2010-09-29, 18:25

I always tell people these are one of the most under rated Mbuna. I've got about 20 at 2" BTW and a couple large females which the fry came from. (betty you need any breeders?)

I love these but I am trying to clear out the tank they are in and use it for an overly aggressive front female in hopes of getting the rest of the colony to spawn. I'll post the fry in the offering to sell section if anyones interested.
me
me

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down