Considering a 20g salt tank

5 posters

Go down

Considering a 20g salt tank Empty Considering a 20g salt tank

Post  TRD_Power 2010-09-14, 23:21

One of my favorite fish is the Clown fish, but I put all my time and effort into the freshwater tanks. Anyways, I am thinking about making a small tank for 2 Clowns, a cleaner shrimp or 2, and a small amount of live coral. What would you recommend within the 20g range? Could I go smaller? I'm just lost when it comes to salt tanks because I heard how they cost a lot more to maintain than just a freshwater, so I never really gained too much of an interest. Any saltwater tank info/opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
TRD_Power
TRD_Power
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Considering a 20g salt tank Empty Re: Considering a 20g salt tank

Post  allouttabubblgum 2010-09-15, 01:41

I have a 75g SW and its fun and a challenge but if you fish is what you like to do yea.Bigger the better,the smaller the tank the harder it is to get a hold of your PH level.SW its very hard to say i just what clown shrimp and 1 or 2 corals ,because then you go back to the store or see a post .Good luck with that.SW cost a lot more ,alot more.You can do a 20g tho ,but dont just go to the store buy everything and throw fish in it.Read Read read see what kind of tank you what ,see what kind of power heads you want to use , what kind of rock you want to us .Slow is the key with SW.Another site that i use for SW is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are cool guys know everything SW and are mostly local in washington
allouttabubblgum
allouttabubblgum
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-09-15, 02:13

At that size would you be looking at a nano? I've never kept saltwater and when I read about them (extensively) it's always about the big tanks.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Alien 2010-10-06, 14:57

This is kind of an old topic, but I'll reply anyway.

I kind of like the all in one tanks. Biocube put's out a nice product for a nano tank. My 14 gallon is probably the easiest setup I've ever had. You can even buy protien skimmers that fit into the back .

Salt water really isn't much harder to do if you're going fish only. It's when you're dealing with specialized species of fish or corals that you really need to start shelling out the money and spending alot of time.
Alien
Alien
Fry

http://www.ReptileChat.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-10-06, 16:52

Just a side question for you Alien, will the fish be as happy with no corals? I am currently wanting to set up a 30 gallon bowfront I just got with salt water but the thought of all the coral and such scares me as I have never done SW before. Could we possible PM about this or maybe I can post a thread so we don't overload this one? I am either going to run with Dwarf Cichlids or SW. I haven't fully decided yet. But would LOVE more info on SW.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-03-11, 04:02

I will never get another nano i lost $250 worth of live stock after an OVERNIGHT trip.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down