+3
shua
Ashley
Wolf-Keeper1
7 posters

Go down

Snakehead Or Wolf Fish Empty Snakehead Or Wolf Fish

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-25, 22:04

Does anyone know of any fish, similar to these two? I really like the wolf fish cause the thing looks crazy it's mouth just screams danger zone. Same with the snake head.I know these arent fish I can get at the lfs but what out there is similar to these fish?

Anyway I'm looking for something pretty fierce for the new tank. 72x18x22
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Snakehead Or Wolf Fish Empty Re: Snakehead Or Wolf Fish

Post  Ashley 2010-07-25, 22:46

Bowfin!
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-07-25, 22:52

you can get wolf fish lots of places have them there pricey but like you said dope

another op would be a lung fish mean as eff and if you plan on up grading to a much bigger tank than a payara or a African tiger fish and if you dont know what this is google it and remember that there is several kinds of this fish all you are going to see is huge bad asses
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-25, 23:01

Ashley wrote:Bowfin!

That is tite i just did a quick read might do a little more looking into on that one. Thanks You rock.

shua wrote:you can get wolf fish lots of places have them there pricey but like you said dope

another op would be a lung fish mean as eff and if you plan on up grading to a much bigger tank than a payara or a African tiger fish and if you dont know what this is google it and remember that there is several kinds of this fish all you are going to see is huge bad asses

I dont know why i was under the impression wolf fish were illegal? Hm...

As far as the other two lol I've seen them doing some searching a much, much, much bigger tank indeed, probably the size of my fish room lol.
I must say i did not know lungfish where savage, i honestly would have never guessed. But thats why I'm here is to learn.

Thanks for your info, i may ask aquarium paradise if the can get any wolf fish, that would be ideal.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-07-25, 23:11

ohhhh yeah lungs are MEAN as it gets bosif and down @ Aquarius world in white center there are two blacks that are good size and mean as all hell and also in everett there are a few reds @ pet pourie ~they also have some lungs and bowfin gl and have fun choosing a new pred it can be ruff

Last edited by shua on 2010-07-25, 23:20; edited 1 time in total
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-07-25, 23:16

oh and also there are diffrent kinds or payara and ATF
Payara Armatus~ or Payara scombs they dont get as big even though aquascapeonline will tell you otherwise, you are looking @ about a 20 to 25" fish

and as for ATF Goliath or Zambezi

and i think there are more kinds for boyh of them as well but hope to sway you toward big tanks its the only way to go lol
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-25, 23:58

shua wrote:ohhhh yeah lungs are MEAN as it gets bosif and down @ Aquarius world in white center there are two blacks that are good size and mean as all hell and also in everett there are a few reds @ pet pourie ~they also have some lungs and bowfin gl and have fun choosing a new pred it can be ruff

Thanks i just youtube some lungfish there pretty crazy looking, a mix between a worm snake and eel ha doesnt really even look like a fish lol.

shua wrote:oh and also there are diffrent kinds or payara and ATF
Payara Armatus~ or Payara scombs they dont get as big even though aquascapeonline will tell you otherwise, you are looking @ about a 20 to 25" fish

and as for ATF Goliath or Zambezi

and i think there are more kinds for boyh of them as well but hope to sway you toward big tanks its the only way to go lol

Man That Payara armatus was pretty savage looking those teeth are nuts!

Thanks for your input, looking for a predator will be harder then i thought, i thought my dovii was pretty tough lol.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-07-26, 05:03

and from what ive heard they can live out of water for 3 months or maybe longer i dont remember exactly
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-26, 05:22

There is "pet pourri" up here in everett that has bowfin and wolf.... they arent too bad in price... they have a whole wall for aquatic predators now... very cool...
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-26, 14:05

shua wrote:and from what ive heard they can live out of water for 3 months or maybe longer i dont remember exactly

The lungfish or all of them?

sandnuka wrote:There is "pet pourri" up here in everett that has bowfin and wolf.... they arent too bad in price... they have a whole wall for aquatic predators now... very cool...

I was always scared to travel too far to get fish cause I thought they would die in the bag from no oxygen. But it sounds like some people do it all the time. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-07-26, 14:31

^^^ Wolf keeper. Just to be safe coming from spanaway I would just get like a 5gal bucket or a cooler would be even better and just get a battery powered air pump and hook an air stone in there. People travel from different states doing just that. They might be fine in just the bag but it wouldn't hurt to get an air stone.
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-26, 14:48

Ashley wrote:^^^ Wolf keeper. Just to be safe coming from spanaway I would just get like a 5gal bucket or a cooler would be even better and just get a battery powered air pump and hook an air stone in there. People travel from different states doing just that. They might be fine in just the bag but it wouldn't hurt to get an air stone.

Ha i didnt even know they made battery operated ones. Do you know where i could find one? Would a new bucket from home depot suffice?
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-07-26, 14:56

Yeah I'm sure just a bucket would do...as long as you are just getting small fish. I will suggest pet pourii, they have some cool red wolfs and I don't know if the bowfin are still there. It would be worth your drive though. I know they have the battery powered air pumps online for cheap (I included a link for ya) and I don't know if they have them at just pet shops. I have never seen them, but I haven't been looking either.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I guess it is on PETCO.com so maybe they have them in the store.
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-07-26, 15:18

The last time i was in Pet Pouri they had lots of Bowfin's, and 3 or 4 Wolfs too. I know if you come up the eastside on 405 stop at Denny's pet world right off the freeway and they have the battery operated pumps there for sure. I was just looking at them a couple days ago.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-26, 15:19

Ashley wrote:Yeah I'm sure just a bucket would do...as long as you are just getting small fish. I will suggest pet pourii, they have some cool red wolfs and I don't know if the bowfin are still there. It would be worth your drive though. I know they have the battery powered air pumps online for cheap (I included a link for ya) and I don't know if they have them at just pet shops. I have never seen them, but I haven't been looking either.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I guess it is on PETCO.com so maybe they have them in the store.

Hey thanks for the info I just read the reviews alot of people dont like the noise, but I dont like dead fish more lol. Plus I would only use it when traveling to get fish further away. Thanks you rock!
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-26, 15:22

hbluehunter wrote:The last time i was in Pet Pouri they had lots of Bowfin's, and 3 or 4 Wolfs too. I know if you come up the eastside on 405 stop at Denny's pet world right off the freeway and they have the battery operated pumps there for sure. I was just looking at them a couple days ago.

I'll look into that, thanks for the heads up. It still wont be for a couple weeks, I have to do my business every other weekend lol have to love working in a hospital.

Maybe I can Make a day of it and just hit stores along the rout starting with the furthest one and working my way back. That sounds like a cool afternoon. (sorry typing inner thoughts)
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addictedtofish 2010-07-26, 15:23

Also you can get a AC/DC converter that plugs into your cigarette lighter pretty cheap. Then you can use your regular air pump from home.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-26, 15:29

Addictedtofish wrote:Also you can get a AC/DC converter that plugs into your cigarette lighter pretty cheap. Then you can use your regular air pump from home.

That is a good idea and cheaper since I have like 2-3 pumps that are just extra.

Good call thanks!
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-31, 15:52

Last ditch efforts to get the wolf fish locally proved unsuccesful. Looks like I'm headed up north lol.

Also has anyone seen the ticket on them? What am i looking to spend? Thanks again everyone!
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-07-31, 16:07

I wanna say the smaller bowfin's were like $25 and the bigger ones were 40-50.. I never really looked at the price if the others, but you might be able to wheel and deal a bit being they've had them for awhile.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-31, 16:10

hbluehunter wrote:I wanna say the smaller bowfin's were like $25 and the bigger ones were 40-50.. I never really looked at the price if the others, but you might be able to wheel and deal a bit being they've had them for awhile.

Thanks, I could deal with that. If it was in the hundreds that may take some descision making lol.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-31, 16:52

I think the red high fin ones they had were like 70 bucks... pretty expensive... I think.... I knew I looked at the price and thought they were really expensive fish.... but then they are super rare for pet stores to carry. but defineltly not in the 100's Smile tell us when you get him, and take some pictures, Im excited for you!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-07-31, 17:08

Yeah whatever you get do take pics. And I'm sure you already know this but bowfin are cold water so make sure you drop the temp in your tank and make sure if you have any other fish in there, they can handle that!
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-07-31, 17:53

Yea what Ashley said, but check and see what temp they have them in, they might already have them acclimated to regular tank temp..
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-01, 13:37

sandnuka wrote:I think the red high fin ones they had were like 70 bucks... pretty expensive... I think.... I knew I looked at the price and thought they were really expensive fish.... but then they are super rare for pet stores to carry. but defineltly not in the 100's Smile tell us when you get him, and take some pictures, Im excited for you!

I will def let you guys know when i get it. Sould be this week fingers crossed

Ashley wrote:Yeah whatever you get do take pics. And I'm sure you already know this but bowfin are cold water so make sure you drop the temp in your tank and make sure if you have any other fish in there, they can handle that!

Thanks for the heads up, you've been so helpful with allmy questions i appreciate that a bunch!

hbluehunter wrote:Yea what Ashley said, but check and see what temp they have them in, they might already have them acclimated to regular tank temp..

Will do, thanks for your help, and info!
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-06, 00:11

There Holding one for me till tommorow. A wolf fish. Now I'm kinda stuck. Cause they don't get that big so
depending on what I see I may get a bowfin instead either way I'm excited!!
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-06, 00:12

Oh lol I guess I should say it's Pet Pouri.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-08-06, 01:43

keep us updated

and are you talkin about the red hifins that they have very cool bad ask fish
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-06, 03:12

shua wrote:keep us updated

and are you talkin about the red hifins that they have very cool bad ask fish

Yeah, atleast thats what the dude said.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-08-06, 04:11

PICTURES! dont forget, soon as you get 'em... I want to see it! The wolf stays smaller, but just looks so hard core! bowfin look awesome too, I was gonna get one, but then I remember i love cichlids too much to use a big tank for one MEAN fish.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-06, 16:26

Ok I couldn't pull the trigger. I tried so hard to make myself get it. But when I was there and talking to the guy. And we both ened up with the same conclusion. That a 10" fish in a 125 would just be weird lol. I ended up getting a bowfin. They get bigger and the guy said he would put the bowfin as meaner then the wolf. Sorry guys. I tried I really did but I couldn't pull the trigger.

I will say though I may buy another tank maybe a 55 or something just for the wolf. I couldn't do it this time around.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-08-06, 16:36

Lets see pictures of the bowfin!
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2010-08-06, 16:44

I would rather have a Bowfin anyway.. I almost bought pair of them to grow out.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-06, 16:51

I will try to get pics tonight. I have to throw a party for my sister. I just walked in and the bowfin is chilling in the bucket. The store had there tank at 76 mine is at 77. So I'm going to transfer some fish and then get some lights. So give me a few hours and I'll snap sone pics for everyone.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-08-06, 21:15

I didnt know you were thinkin of puttin just the wolf in a 125gal... that would be a pretty big waste of a tank! lol.... definetly better to get the bowfin... i wonder if you can get another one and pair them, you probably got enough room in that tank? How much was the price on the wolf and bowfin, just so everyone knows.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-07, 00:41

The bowfin was 39.99 and the wolf was 89.99. I really wanted it I'll have to get another tank though. Oh and I had absoultly no idea that flowerhorns got that big. I though they where palm sized. Anyway still no pic yet. I have a house full of young women. But I will get some tommorow at the latest.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-07, 00:42

Oh they also had a bicher the length from my wrist to elbow. And the guy said it was just a baby. Crazy!!
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TRD_Power 2010-08-11, 06:13

God bless fish you have to worry about putting your hand in the same tank with. Can't wait to get some fully grown Goliath African Tiger Fish. I'm thinking about building a tank filled with caves and getting some Wolf Fish. Get some pics up!
TRD_Power
TRD_Power
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-08-11, 09:22

Well I saw one more beautiufl high red fin wolf fish left at pet pourri..... 89.99 .... they mustve sold the other Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-11, 14:45

sandnuka wrote:Well I saw one more beautiufl high red fin wolf fish left at pet pourri..... 89.99 .... they mustve sold the other Smile

Man that really sucks, it just makes me want to get it even more. I need more tanks lol and bigger lol. Although something tells me i'll never have enough lol.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-08-11, 15:03

welcome to the addiction
lol
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-08-11, 17:03

LOL. Yeah I see the tank list in your sig.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-08-11, 22:58

They got wicked african pike there as of yesterday.... expensive, but I guess the fastest striking freshwater fish! Awesome lookin... like a fatter barracuda!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down