What's your favorite frozen food to feed your fish?

3 posters

Go down

What's your favorite frozen food to feed your fish? Empty What's your favorite frozen food to feed your fish?

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-29, 23:01

I'm just curious what the rest of you like to feed your fish?

The common staples for me are:
Frozen Bloodworms by Hikari, Frozen Daphnia by Hikari, and Frozen Cyclops by San Fransisco Bay

I usually just alternate between three, but I feed my fish about twice a week when it comes to frozen foods, other times, I just feed flake, but that's besides the point =P

I don't know what it is about Frozen Adult Brine Shrimp (Hikari), or Frozen Spirulina "infused" Brine Shrimp (Hikari), that I don't like... my fish don't seem to like those two either, so that's why I don't have them.

I've never tried Frozen Mysis Shrimp, or Frozen Beef Heart, so I can't really speak for those.

What about you guys and gals?
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite frozen food to feed your fish? Empty Re: What's your favorite frozen food to feed your fish?

Post  DMD123 2014-08-29, 23:13

Bloodworms and whole krill are usually in my freezer all the time. I also keep whole shrimp in shell for my puffer and tilapia fillets for the bichir. While not frozen I also keep nightcrawlers in the fridge.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite frozen food to feed your fish? Empty Re: What's your favorite frozen food to feed your fish?

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-29, 23:22

I have live blackworms in my fridge as well, I really should upgrade to earthworms though... my axolotls are getting huge!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-29, 23:32

Ive also used frozen beefheart but I only buy one package and feed it to real young fish to bulk them up. Its not the best choice as a steady diet. I have used glass worms which the fish seem to take as readily as bloodworms. I never really seemed to have fish like brine but they loved the Spirulina brine also liked the mysis shrimp.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-29, 23:41

Oooh, glass worms, I don't think I've ever tried those before! Hmm.. wonder where I can find some of those...
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-29, 23:54

Petsmart used to have them but with the changeover to Omega One frozen Im not sure if they carry the old San Fransisco bay brand of glass worm.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-08-29, 23:59

Hmm... upon further research, they look a lot like Bloodworms, minus the coloration. I wonder what their pros are, for feeding them to fish, compared to Bloodworms...
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-30, 14:34

Not sure the difference in nutritional value between the two types. scratch

I do like to get my nightcrawlers from Walmart's sporting goods because they carry a 'baby' night crawler that is not giant and does not need to be chopped up to feed. Plus they pack in a fine material that makes it easy to clean out the worms. If Im desperate I buy the full size ones from Fred Meyer but they pack in a more paper like bedding and its hard to squeeze out of the worm.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CMooreCichlids 2014-08-31, 11:56

PE Mysis
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Guaranteed Analysis (from dry weight)
Crude Protein 69.5% min.
Crude Fat 8.35% min.
Crude Fiber 2.75% max.
Ash 5.5% max.

When I had my dwarf pikes, I could hold a cube of this frozen delight in my fingers and all of the pike would be so crazy for it that they'd eat it straight from my hands.

It has the most protein out of any frozen foods I've found. Its a bit more expensive, should not be used as a staple diet, but works amazingly well to get predatory fish away from live food.

Sierra and APfP has them in my area.
CMooreCichlids
CMooreCichlids
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down