Current discus owners, info appreciated.

2 posters

Go down

Current discus owners, info appreciated. Empty Current discus owners, info appreciated.

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-06, 13:29

I am considering adding discus to my 75 gallon tank and I'm wondering if this is something possible to add to its current stock. If anyone who owns discus could give some advice. I'm not looking to breed as I have angels for that I just wanted to add 2 for now. Or even one if it's better. I want to get the experience of discus some before choosing to do a discus tank in the future. Everyone gets along well currently. This is also being converted to a planted tank.

Current stock:
Columbian tetra
Angelfish
Black and Gold skirt tetra
Black neon tetra
One deformed zebra obliquiden
One featherfin catfish
And one sailfin pleco

I currently feed Southern Delight tropical pellets and Southern Delight veggie krill pellet, a few flake for the small mouth tetra and frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and krill.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Current discus owners, info appreciated. Empty Re: Current discus owners, info appreciated.

Post  zach_discus 2014-08-06, 16:10

Two would be the minimum. They are a very social fish and stress quickly if keep singly. The other fish except for the sailfin are ok. You will want to remove the sailfin. They tend to like to "feed" of the body slim produced by Discus and will harass and again stress them. The angels are hit or miss, but usually not a problem. Hope this helps.

PS. I would not start with small discus in that set-up, IE less than 4" and you will want to do a rescape to break up everyone terratory and start everyone out on a even playing feild.
zach_discus
zach_discus
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Current discus owners, info appreciated. Empty Re: Current discus owners, info appreciated.

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-06, 16:32

The sailfin I wouldn't think would bother the Discus really. It LOVES the Southern Delight Veggie Krill and I keep it fed with those and veggie wafers. It also eats the frozen blood worms and krill. I think with how lazy they are and all the other foods it gets easily chasing down a discus wouldn't be in it's interest for the slime coat.

No one right now really has territories in the tank. They all swim all over and I never see any fish in one spot specifically other than the sailfin and the featherfin.

Do you think I would need to change food diets or anything like that? Or would everything I feed suffice the diet that they need?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down