+3
bad-daddio
DMD123
KaraWolf
7 posters

Go down

Stand construction Empty Stand construction

Post  KaraWolf 2014-07-19, 14:34

I build this what feels like months ago and its been sitting around waiting for a plywood skin. Thing is everytime I look at it I get a bit worried even though its based on a stand proven to hold 300 gallons and its only for 125.
Its 72 long by 18 wide by 42 tall which I think is what worries me. Though it needs to be this tall cause I want it to be a divider wall. Of awesome.
Would love to hear opinions. Though I'm pretty sure its solid, guess I'm just weirded out that its got to sit so long staring at me waiting for me to finish it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Stand construction Empty Re: Stand construction

Post  DMD123 2014-07-19, 18:02

That thing is plenty strong! Time to get it covered and get a tank on it.  Spot On 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-07-19, 18:24

I'm trying. I'm trying so hard!!!! I might actually be getting the plywood today Very Happy it has all the functional pieces except lid and light. You can see the filter box under/beyond the 55 in the 2nd pic Very Happy
Thanks for the confirmation Very Happy
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bad-daddio 2014-07-19, 19:50

You have it built plenty strong - Nice work! With it being so tall, the only thing I would be worried about is lateral strength but once you put the plywood on, it will have plenty of lateral strength in both directions.
bad-daddio
bad-daddio
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfalcons 2014-07-19, 21:27

You'll be able to park a car on that thing once the plywood is on. Build on.

Flyfalcons
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-19, 21:46

i would add a few side supports. connecting more between the 2 longest sides if that makes sense. i know its overkill but meh better safe then sorry Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-07-19, 23:51

Very Happy thanks!!!! Lol idk bout a car o.o
makes sense anthraxx. Been wondering about that but also trying to think of how I want it to work cause I'm gonna try to seat my aquarium-turned-anole-tank below it. As well as storage and the massive filter.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bad-daddio 2014-07-19, 23:55

Looking at it again, I agree with Anthraxx - it could use some front to back support on top. Are you going to put plywood on top? If so, I think that would do the trick.
bad-daddio
bad-daddio
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-07-20, 00:37

wasn't going to do a plywood top. 2x4s are cheaper.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-07-20, 01:18

This is only $9, and it is what I have on top of all of my wood stands

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-20, 02:17

i went to a local lumber shop here in tacoma, cant remember the name but its on 6th ave. they had multiple types of plywood, i ended up getting something with more of a wood venyer type look. its still plywood but has a grain pattern to it. looks great stained up and doesnt weight nearly as much as doing a board front (did that Razz)
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-20, 11:12

That stand is beefy. It will totally hold the weight. Once the tank is on top and full of water it won't go anywhere. I built my stand. 7 foot X 16 inches. With the skin it's more like 19 inches front to back. It's completely solid with the water weight. But if I was going to have it as a divider sticking out I may consider a way to attach it to the wall. Perhaps find a wall stud and attach with lag screw. If there is ever an accident like a child pushing against it, someone falls against it, or falls and grabs the tank for support it may fall over. Not likey, but you never know. If something this size falls on anyone it could do some damage...

I would consider putting a floor in the stand using ply wood (not particle board) before putting a skin on. Once the skin is installed this frame will be completely solid. The skin adds support against any sideways movement. If you want this stand to look super nice I would consider using a ply wood (not particle board) that's finished on one side for a skin. Anything  that's at lest 1/4th thick will work and add to structural support.

Puting a top on isn't going to anything but make the stand heavier. The tank bottom never touches. Only the rim of the tank does. If you are looking for a nice finish consider using a  finished 1x4 for a cap. I went as far as using a router to round the edges. Please don't use particle board. If any water is absorbed by particle board it will expand and fall apart.

The stand looks great and  rigged. Very nice build!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down