Breeding test trial begins

3 posters

Go down

Breeding test trial begins Empty Breeding test trial begins

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-04, 14:16

So after an unknown cause in my 75 gallon tank I lost two of my male angels, within 2 days of each other and no other fish loss in the tank. I'm still baffled as to what happened. This was bitter sweet to me as they were adults I had raised from fry from another pair I have. Where it gets sweet in this is I have a male ghost pinoy who was the 5th wheel in the tank. With those two males dying, this made him top dog with 2 females. He has chosen my veil female as his mate, however, this has made the other sunset female segregate herself into a corner due to the two of them chasing her. When I had 5 in there the chasing was divided out and no one felt that way.

So today I decided to take the 3 other angels I have in other tanks, put them all in the 75 and remove the ghost pinoy and zebra veil that have paired and see if I can set them into breeding. They have laid one batch of eggs, however with the tank mates in the 75 these are gone within minutes. So if I want to try and keep fry from these two, which I would love being the veil AND a ghost pinoy cross! I must move them. So the current breeding pair I have is getting put into the 75 gallon as well as another female. Which opens the 20 gallon the breeding pair was in and thus the ghost pinoy and veil will be going in there.

I will give them a few batches to get their rhythm down and I have a large Marina exterior breeder box on the way from Ken's, if it ever gets here. After I return from my vacation I will attempt to start raising those fry. If all goes well. I figure 3 females and 1 male in the 75 should balance things out better and keep the one from hiding in the back corner. We shall see, they of course are cichlids and in doing this I may start a battle royale in my 75 gallon! lol If this is the case I will devise a way to separate off a portion of the 75 for a breeding pair as well. And return everyone back to their original set ups. I am unable to add any more tanks or else I would just add an additional 20.

I'll let everyone know how the process goes and if I am able to raise some ghost pinoy fry. This would make me very happy! Very Happy

Here are some photos of the ghost pinoy and veil.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Breeding test trial begins Empty Re: Breeding test trial begins

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-04, 15:28

bounce - sorry for the loss, but this is going to be interesting...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-04, 15:33

I agree! I'm trying to get some other stuff around the house taken care of and then the process will begin. Shouldn't be too difficult, I'm just going to do water changes at the same time so just take a little longer than switching some fish around should.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-07-05, 03:03

Good luck! Thaat's about all I can say since I don't know anything at all about breeding angels  scratch 
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-06, 19:34

So I switched out stock in tanks and put all angels except one in my 75. This made 6 in there total. I had decided to leave the pair I want to breed in there until I returned from vacation to make feeding while gone easier. These two had another idea. They didn't like the idea of other angels in their territory. The female went after all other females and the male went after the other male. So I took them out and put then in their own 20 and all is peaceful. There is still a mix of 3 tanks combined in the 75 now, 3 females and one male (1 pair). Here are some pictures prior to me removing the pair. And the pair in their own tank.

All the girls

The two males one up front and one to the right

Everyone in the tank before moving the pair

The new pair in their own tank

Last edited by ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-07-06, 21:34; edited 1 time in total
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-07-06, 21:26

Sorry for your loss. How long has your 75gal tank cycling?

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-06, 21:31

It's been up and running for 3 years almost. It had 5 angels in there before I lost the 2, they were in there for about 2 years. Now there is only 4 residing in there after rearranging. Smile good to go. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down