DMD123
JimA
Nick_87
MorganEA
8 posters

Go down

Beamswork LED lights Empty Beamswork LED lights

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-27, 18:52

Hey guys has anyone used this beamswork's LED?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Beamswork LED lights Empty Re: Beamswork LED lights

Post  Nick_87 2014-06-27, 19:21

I have the older first gen single brights and love them for the price and decent quality although mine will not grow plants so I switched over back to my old cf fixture since I went fully planted now. If you are planning on planting you tank I would spend a little more and go with something else but if it's just fish then it would work great. I also think I saw these on eBay for cheaper a little while ago so check there out too.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-27, 19:27

this newer one is supposed to be for plants, I just got mine in the mail and I have 30 days to decide if I  want to keep it. It is definitely bright! I haven't found any good plant LED's in my price range Sad
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2014-06-27, 21:40

I have been happy with mine, going almost 3 years now I think. I did have to replace one transformer that quit awhile back.

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-27, 21:51

my only problem is that it makes everything look really green, my red plants look washed out.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-06-27, 23:29

Its really hard to beat the price on the Beamsworks lights. I had used the single bright on a fish only tank. It was ok but I ended upgrading after about a year because I wanted something a bit brighter and a bit different spectrum. I went with the Current Satellite + and it works great for my fish only tank. Seems like there are tons of good reviews for the Finnex fixtures but they are not cheap.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-27, 23:42

Some people say that the Current Satellite + isn't good for deeper tanks, This is for my 55 gallon.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-06-28, 07:44

I can't say anything for any other brands, but I can attest that Finnex fixtures are worth the slightly higher price. Think of it this way; would you rather spend an amount of money that makes you a little uncomfortable at purchase time but be comfortable with the product, or spend a smaller amount that is more comfortable at the time but be uncomfortable with an inferior product for the rest of the product's life?

Again, not saying that any brand is inferior because I haven't tried them, I just think that on lighting for a planted tank, you don't want to skimp just to save $20 or even $50 at purchase and then be perpetually unsatisfied with what you have.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-06-28, 09:04

In making your choices for your planted tanks its important to think about what type of tank the fixture will go on...will you be growing mostly lower light plants or are you stepping up to the plants that need the higher lights.

I have cheaper LED's like Current Satellite and Current Satellite +'s on my tanks with low light plants. I have stepped up to the Finnex lights on my tanks with the higher light plants. I also have one "Build My LED" light fixture that I had ordered for a specific tank but never set it up so I have now added it to my 75G planted tank. I'll try to get a pic of the BML light only on the tank vs. the Finnex light so you can see the difference. I think both of those lights are great lights but the lighting does look different. I believe that price is about the same although the BML can be customized so it can become more expensive depending on options.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-28, 20:53

My problem with the finnex is that most people say that you have to buy two different ones to get the right look, I dont have that kind of money.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-28, 21:22

MorganEA wrote:this newer one is supposed to be for plants, I just got mine in the mail and I have 30 days to decide if I  want to keep it. It is definitely bright! I haven't found any good plant LED's in my price range Sad

I don't have any experience with this fixture but by the reading on the website it sounds good. If your plants have issue you should be able to tell within a couple weeks.

May I ask what size tank this fixture is on? Can we see a picture of the tank with the new fixture?

Just throwing this out there about Finnex. The only time i use multi fixtures is to gain more lighting due to tank depth or the type of plants i am growing. Not because i don't like the 'look' of the lighting.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-06-28, 21:27

so i know this may be off topic, but im curious if any of you guys might know where to seek replacement LED light cords. i bought a few off ebay and the cords have slowly gone out. now ive got 2 LED fixtures just gathering dust. just trying to get an idea of where to go.. (couldnt find the seller)
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-28, 21:30

You can see how yellow-green everything looks. It is on my 55 gallon I have medium light plants.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-06-28, 21:38

Anthraxx wrote:so i know this may be off topic, but im curious if any of you guys might know where to seek replacement LED light cords. i bought a few off ebay and the cords have slowly gone out. now ive got 2 LED fixtures just gathering dust. just trying to get an idea of where to go.. (couldnt find the seller)

The transformer cord?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-28, 21:53

@ Morgan, is there BLUE colored LED's in this fixture? And can you turn them off?

@ Anthraxx, sorry about the negative vote. I was trying to remove the tool bar on my mobile and pressed the minus on accident...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-28, 21:55

fishNAbowl wrote:@ Morgan,  is there BLUE colored LED's in this fixture? And can you turn them off?
they all look like bright white lights too me
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-06-28, 22:34

I started a topic [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for all of us to show tanks and what different LED lights look in various tanks. Maybe that will help Wink
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-28, 22:55

I'm so new to this and its all so confusing!! thanks for starting that thread Donna I think I'm going to return the Beamswork and keep researching lights.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-06-28, 23:20

@ DMD thanks a bunch that should fit my needs perfectly. its a cheap chinese one but im assuming they all follow a pretty similar setup ballast wise.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-29, 02:25

MorganEA wrote:my only problem is that it makes everything look really green, my red plants look washed out.
I have to keep it simple. I get confused with all the technical stuff. I was just getting a handle on lighting + Watts + spectrums then BAM along came LED's and put me through a tail spin. But check this out.

Anything with a K rating of about 6,500K and lower is going to give you a yellowish hue in your tank.

A light with a K value of 6,700K and above will give you more of a clear WHITE light.

At 10,000 K you start loosing the benifical needs in your lighting for optimum plant growth.

The finnex Ray is an LED fixture that's all 7,000K. The lighting gives a nice crisp clear look in the tank while providing a good spectrum for plant growth.

Fuge Ray planted plus also uses 7,000K but also uses red spectrum LED's. This combo gives a nice warm visual look in the aquarium.

This isn't a pitch to sell you on Finnex. But if you are searching for that nice crisp look I would start looking into fixtures of a spectrum rating of 7,000K.

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-29, 15:12

Thank you Chad!! That's what I have been looking for! I couldn't figure out why I kept getting this strange yellow look with LEDs.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down