USPS shipping delays for live cargo

+2
ShortyKiloGyrl
Livebearer
6 posters

Go down

USPS shipping delays for live cargo Empty USPS shipping delays for live cargo

Post  Livebearer 2014-06-03, 01:08

Has anyone had trouble receiving or sending tropical fish? with the US postal service
It's happend now 3 times in 3 months. Delays of up to 10 days.  
Priority mail is a 2-3 day service and they're not living up to what's promised.
Please share your troubles here then go to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  and add your complaints about U.S.P.S.
So much for the slogan;
"Speed, Agility, Reliablility"!

Last edited by Livebearer on 2014-06-03, 01:29; edited 1 time in total
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

USPS shipping delays for live cargo Empty Re: USPS shipping delays for live cargo

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-03, 01:10

Wow. I recently took my first live shipping purchase and it was usps priority mail. I received them from Ohio in 3 days. :/ Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck. Is it the same seller or different each time?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

USPS shipping delays for live cargo Empty Re: USPS shipping delays for live cargo

Post  zach_discus 2014-06-03, 01:22

I lost 3 shipments of angels due to there 2-3 day priority service. Pay the extra and go FedEx overnight!!
zach_discus
zach_discus
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-06-03, 01:42

Shortykilogyrl,
Ohio you say, that's were my fish were shipped from! Same seller also, but it was not their fault.
It's their "sort facility" in Cinncinati. The box sat idle 3 days before any new tracking info was updated on Saturday. I just got this box TODAY (had to go get it) that was shipped last Tuesday!
The prior box in April was delayed, then went to Denver, then on to Seattle and was out 9 days total! In this shipment today all were alive but 1 and were very cold... I'm amazed, and ready for a major Ich outbreak.
In one bag a female Poeciliopsis gracilis female have given birth in transit and died thus fouling the water and turning it yellow in color.
All the others in that bag (4 + 5 fry) were on their last leg! I'm now nursing all fish back to health and fry (5mm) got fed well this afternoon as this was their first meal and first time seeing daylight! I'm bumbed this has happend 1 too many times. I'm considering using UPS next time I ship.
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-06-03, 03:09

If they are writing live fish on the box, there's the problem. They get put on different planes etc. You'll experience more delays that way.

That being said I ship like 20 boxes a week all prioirty and have a late box maybe once every 3 months.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-03, 10:30

Mine were not marked live fish. They were shipped in a kordon breather bag with a 72 hour heat pack with Styrofoam lining. It was 5 juvy bn plecos. I wonder if something as simple as 2 words has that kind of impact like Cory stated. If so that's not right of USPS.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-06-03, 10:40

This is unfortunate, and I am glad I have not had this problem. The only way for me to ship is through USPS. Both FedEx and UPS have told me that I can not ship live fish through them without a shippers license.

Hopefully I dont have any issues, and I have shipped both ways, boxes stating whats in it and boxes that dont.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-06-05, 18:25

I was informed by my post office TO mark the box "live fish" the pkg is then separated and send as live cargo.
It take preferance over other pkgs. I found out the problem was with the Sort facility in Cinnianti, OH.

Madness UPS and FED EX ship live aminals. It's way more expensive though
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-06-05, 19:17

Livebearer wrote:I was informed by my post office TO mark the box "live fish" the pkg is then separated and send as live cargo.
It take preferance over other pkgs. I found out the problem was with the Sort facility in Cinnianti, OH.

You should know that they say it takes preference. What they really mean is it has to ship on planes that can handle live cargo. So the problem is. There might be 10 flights going from Seattle to Florida a day. But only 1 of them can handle live cargo. If your box misses that package it waits an extra day. I believe that live cargo planes have to fly at a lower altitude or something like that due to pressure on bags, pets etc. I'm not sure of the specifics. I was just told by a guy that ships a ton. That live fish puts it on a special plane and they run a lot less than just an ordinary postal plane.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-06-05, 19:40

Livebearer wrote:I was informed by my post office TO mark the box "live fish" the pkg is then separated and send as live cargo.

Yes FedEx and UPS will ship live fish, but you have to have a shippers license here in Washington. Which means spend a lot of money, have your facility/home inspected as to what you ship, have your shipping method and packaging methods inspected, and the pay for it all. Another reason why I hate this state. I have friends all across the country that have no issues shipping, but here in Washington, Nope..................
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-06-16, 17:17

Interesting Madness?

I had recieved a box of dwarf cichlids in February from Fed Ex. and the driver asked if I would be interested in using there services (I'm sure hes was promoting his company) but never did metioned this requirement to me. He delivers alot of fish in the P.S. area. I will look into this. I was very happy with their timelyness and care of the pkg, He had it inbetween the seat and not in the back box area. Yes the box was marked "Tropical fish".

Cory,
I have ONLY had a problem with this one shipper from Ohio and have received other pgks. from Hawaii faster than any other location including California!
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-06-16, 21:31

I was told the same thing that Madness said about requiring a license of some sort (I think it was a business license) when I wanted to send some fish to a friend a few years ago.  That was when I went to the FedEx facility at the airport to ask them.  I've heard from other people that if you go to one of those mailbox/shipping type stores that are in a lot of shopping areas, you might be able to mail them from there because not all of the employees at those places are aware of the license requirement. I don't know how true that is though.  I would call or ask them before I showed up with a box of fish to send out.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-06-16, 21:45

I looked it up:  from the FedEx site... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Live Animals and Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish)

FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Live Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:

1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).

2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.

Contact your FedEx account executive for details and additional requirements.

Here is UPS's info on shipping fish.  It looks like they will do it if they aren't threatened or endangered species?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-06-27, 23:30

Wow Betty GOOD INFO
I did try to look it up on Fex Exes site and did find the section you did but didn't take it further as I was not inteterseted at the time. The driver who delivered my fish here in February did give me a pamplet and a # to call but have not followed up since their rates are pretty high.
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down