Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration?

4 posters

Go down

Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration? Empty Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration?

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-04-30, 13:05

My little axolotl that was once housed in a 12 long, then moved to a 15 gallon tank, has finally outgrown the 15, so I'm moving him into my 40 breeder. It's bare at the moment. I'm curious what type of filtration would be adequate for a tank that size, that won't cause too much water flow.

In the 15 gallon, I used a cascade 300 internal filter, that uses a spray bar. I then pointed the spray bar along the edge of the tank to break up any water flow, since axolotls prefer lower flow rates.

Anywho, I will be placing that exact filter into the 40 gallon tank, and figured that, that might be enough for just 1 axolotl... but I'd like to get a 2nd opinion here, first.

I also have a fluval C3 HOB, that I could also use, but would that be overkill (in terms of water flow) for an axolotl, in a 40 gallon breeder tank? I could place something on the waterfall part/outflow to help break up the water's flow, if that's the case. =D

Here are some pictures:
Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration? Unname28
(I took out the resin treetrunk/ugly decor/root thing, out of my 36 gallon tank, and placed it in here, since I figured it would benefit Axl more, plus the space it opened up in my 36 gallon, makes the tank look even bigger now! Win-win!)

Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration? Unname29
(Here's the Fluval C3 HOB filter, along with the Cascade 300 Internal Filter... I figured I'd start seeding the Fluval filter since the Cascade one has been established with bacteria, since it has been running in the 15 gallon for a while now.)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration? Empty Re: Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration?

Post  MorganEA 2014-04-30, 14:11

MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration? Empty Re: Moving Axolotl to 40 Breeder Tank...Filtration?

Post  KaraWolf 2014-04-30, 14:39

0.o I need one Morgan XD so much easier then trying to figure out how to put a spraybar on a HOB.
Personally I would say as long as you have no dead spots the filter should be fine, there's no *more* ammonia going in then there was before.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-04-30, 16:44

Kara: True. Smile I was just concerned more about the water flow being too strong, because axolotls like little, to no, water flow..which is why people often times prefer using sponge filters, and..... I'm just not a fan of sponge filters, because they just get in the way of things. hahaha... =P
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-04-30, 16:45

I have tried the baffle thing, infact, I have a video on how to make your own, and how to put them on Very Happy

But I don't think a baffle would "please me" so to speak. LOL.

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-30, 17:42

I had a canister (Fluval 305) filter with a sponge on the outtake as I didn't have a spraybar...I kinda made a sponge spraybar. It worked great. On the HOB, you might do the plastic bottle trick (cut the bottle center out, then cut the round down the long way and place over the HOB...it diverts the water flow to the sides of the tank instead of allowing it to come out across the tank). Not sure if that would solve the flow as that doesn't stop the flow but does divert it and spread it out. Anyway...just another option.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-04-30, 17:49

I definitely like that canister filter idea, too bad I don't have a canister filter for it. LOL... It looks like a baffle will have to do. I did place the taller resin decor thing directly underneath the HOB filter, so that it would block the flow a bit...granted, it just diverts the flow (like a baffle). . . I don't think it's cause much water flow down below. Although, I could be wrong! Haha... I'll see if I can make a baffle for that HOB filter. Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down