My Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated' flowered!

+4
cichlid-gal
hobbyorobsession
PokeSephiroth
bronzefighter
8 posters

Go down

My Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated' flowered! Empty My Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated' flowered!

Post  bronzefighter 2014-04-28, 18:15

So I've got a stem of this growing emersed in a HOB, and I had no idea that this plant flowered!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'll post an update when it flowers fully. This is the first emersed plant that I've had flower!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

My Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated' flowered! Empty Re: My Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated' flowered!

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-04-28, 18:58

awesome! Smile

Usually, most stem plants will flower, when grown above the water line.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

My Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated' flowered! Empty Re: My Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated' flowered!

Post  hobbyorobsession 2014-04-28, 19:03

awesome good job
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-28, 21:10

Beautiful
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-04-28, 21:22

Very nice!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-28, 21:27

Thats a +1 from me... Super cool!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-04-29, 14:17

Thanks! So I have a love hate relationship with this plant. It never seems to thrive, but it won't die off either. It always uproots itself or breaks off. However, once it grows emersed it takes off! The foremost flower in the picture actually withered up, and another stem grew about a centimeter from the same node.

In other news, both of my aponogetons and two of my anubias also flowered. Must be that time of the year!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-29, 14:38

Good idea on the egg crate to hold the plants up by the way!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-04-29, 14:48

MRTom wrote:Good idea on the egg crate to hold the plants up by the way!

Thanks!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-15, 23:12

Just wanted to share this wittle flower.

Spot On
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-06-16, 08:54

Dang...so beautiful. Congrats!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-16, 10:29

I have some of this I purchased from fishNAbowl and mine has done the same thing with no growth and uprooting and such. I moved it from one tank to another to see if this helps. The tank I moved it into the other plants are thriving. But alas it keeps uprooting Sad I'm blaming the snails. If my cat wouldn't eat it I would try it out in my HOB the flower is pretty. My bacopa Carolina in this tank has emerged from the water and I'm hoping maybe it will flower. Congrats on all the flowering plants!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-06-16, 14:00

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:I have some of this I purchased from fishNAbowl and mine has done the same thing with no growth and uprooting and such. I moved it from one tank to another to see if this helps. The tank I moved it into the other plants are thriving. But alas it keeps uprooting Sad I'm blaming the snails. If my cat wouldn't eat it I would try it out in my HOB the flower is pretty. My bacopa Carolina in this tank has emerged from the water and I'm hoping maybe it will flower. Congrats on all the flowering plants!  

I had the same problem with mine. Everytime it started growing out and looking nice, it would uproot or break apart. I found that the best way to encourage growth in this is to beat it into submission!

First I would plant it horizontally, about 2" or so, so it would have more roots. Then, when the stem would reach about 4"-6" in height, I'd cut it half. Replant the trimming, repeat ad infinitum (or Ad nauseam depending on how you feel about this plant). Eventually it should develop a strong enough root structure to grow higherand bushier. I have some in my tank that I did this too, and now it grow nice and high, about 10" or so. You can see what I mean in the right side of the tank.

bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-06-16, 14:09

Also Chad, looks great!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-16, 15:13

scratch - no problem with uprooting here. But like bronzefighter mentioned I will plant at lest 2" of the stem, perhaps even more. I plant many stem plants that way.

The picture was taken from a plant in a 9.5 gal ,but look at this column in my 30 gallon. Grows like a wild weed...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-16, 15:26

Wow! The one I have lost half it's leaves and keeps floating to the surface my snails keep crawling on it too Sad I may need to move them.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-16, 21:22

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Wow! The one I have lost half it's leaves and keeps floating to the surface my snails keep crawling on it too Sad I may need to move them.

Hmmmm.... is this in your BIG rock substrate tank? If so, that maybe the issue? If you kill it, I'll have more for you Smile noooooooo charge (except maybe shipping).
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-16, 22:03

Nope, was dying in the sand substrate with Leaf zone added
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-17, 00:03

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Nope, was dying in the sand substrate with Leaf zone added
 scratch gotta be something we missing here!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-17, 10:47

I moved it into the 30 gallon Bowfront with the medium sized rock substrate and it seems to be doing better than the sand substrate for some reason and no leaf zone added yet. I'm leary to in this tank because of the juvenile BN.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-18, 01:02

Should be fine with bristle nose.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-06-18, 01:03

There are a few snails in this tank that I believe I am going to move. I think they are going to be a problem when the bristle nose start breeding.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down