Jubs
cichlid-gal
MRTom
KaraWolf
bassetman
DMD123
15 posters

Go down

GloFish, Not legal in CA... Learn something new every day Empty GloFish, Not legal in CA... Learn something new every day

Post  DMD123 2014-04-18, 13:09

So I saw a discussion about GloFish on another site and someone mentioned that they were not legal in California. Of course this led to a bit of debate until the person posted some info.

Here is the info: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just one of those strange things I had to pass on.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

GloFish, Not legal in CA... Learn something new every day Empty Re: GloFish, Not legal in CA... Learn something new every day

Post  bassetman 2014-04-18, 13:21

Notice in the legal section if they breed you are violating a patent and can be sued.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

GloFish, Not legal in CA... Learn something new every day Empty Re: GloFish, Not legal in CA... Learn something new every day

Post  Guest 2014-04-18, 13:45

Wished it was banned in all 50 states.  Genetically modifying fish to make glo fish.  Mad  Nut Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-04-18, 13:49

and the fact that some proceeds go to the research is why they're so darn expensive in comparison. Mine also didn't live long. Chased eachother to death >> so I replace them with black skirts.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-18, 14:02

Genetically altered fish do have a place in research, as they are a necessary step used by scientists when investigating new medicines, treatments, as well as other experiments that help with fish population management... So there is good out of this... hence I don't knock the idea altogether. That some company figured they'd also sell these fish because they might be nice to keep at home... I think that's just morally ambiguous and I don't mind that they are banned in places like CA.

But when we get to the fashion industry of breeding random species x with glo genes and what not, as well as enforcing some patent... yeah that's a bummer alright.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-18, 14:33

Keen eyes bassetman...that legal section begins with the statement "GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish are intended solely for visual enjoyment as aquarium fish by end-users who have purchased these fish through authorized channels, and not for commercial reproduction." and then item #4 states "Intentional breeding and/or any sale, barter, or trade, of any offspring of GloFish® fluorescent ornamental fish is strictly prohibited."

So breeders beware...geez. As for gene modification or manipulation, it is a tough subject. The question comes up "Where will it stop? If we can do it with fish, can we do it with humans for other purposes?" We do it with food...look at corn, wheat, and soybeans are prime examples...all major GMO's now. Where do we draw the line? Are we only concerned with organisms like fish, people, etc but not concerned with things like plants? It's a can of worms and very difficult to draw lines on what is acceptable and what isn't.

Here's a very interesting article on genetic modifications that make you wonder what the heck are we doing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-18, 14:54

I always thought it was pretty funny they were suing people for breeding them when the first ones that came out years ago where zebra danios and they are probably the easiest egg scattering fish to breed. I have never owned one and have no plans to own any, but one thing you do have to realize about them, they have introduced a lot of people to the hobby and that is about the best thing about them. I noticed they have angelfish glo fish now as well... I think now its just a way to make money not about research tools as it was originally.

Last edited by Jubs on 2014-04-18, 15:10; edited 1 time in total
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-18, 15:08

They are also illegal in all of europe I believe if I remember correctly from another page as well.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman 2014-04-18, 17:20

KaraWolf wrote: and the fact that some proceeds go to the research is why they're so darn expensive in comparison. Mine also didn't live long. Chased eachother to death >> so I replace them with black skirts.

Same... My wife REALLY wanted them, so we got some. They didn't live long at all. We've had almost no losses in our tank (besides them) but 24/26 glofish died.
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-18, 17:34

poffman wrote:
KaraWolf wrote: and the fact that some proceeds go to the research is why they're so darn expensive in comparison. Mine also didn't live long. Chased eachother to death >> so I replace them with black skirts.

Same... My wife REALLY wanted them, so we got some. They didn't live long at all. We've had almost no losses in our tank (besides them) but 24/26 glofish died.

Is it strange that one of the care questions is: "What should I do if my fish is behaving in an unusual or aggressive manner?"  scratch 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2014-04-18, 18:10

eww glofish
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2014-04-18, 18:40

my gf has probably spent over $200 on those stupid danio and none of them have ever lived over a year. waist of money. pretty cruel too.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-18, 18:45

Pretty common consensus all over the internet that GloFish do not seem as healthy or live as long as their normal counterparts.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-18, 18:50

How about Glo angelfish?

The article mentions modified convict cichlids being next.... these guys breed like rabbits how are they going to prevent the market from getting flooded with these? LOL
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Missgrumpygills 2014-04-18, 19:16

Ugh, I just don't see the appeal. They look so unnatural (obviously), and the poor fish live short, horrible lives No Petco now has a whole section for them.
Missgrumpygills
Missgrumpygills
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-18, 20:52

So sad Sad its one thing (still not okay thought) to track global patterns for weather and whatever else they are doing for "research" but to sell to the public for a profit is sickening. However, it is the government so it does not surprise me. These poor fish.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-04-18, 21:15

I imagine the poor health is due to the inbreeding necessary to maintain the "glo" genetics. I bet only a very small percentage of the fry they produce are even salable. To fix this would require modifying the genetics of zebra danios sourced from the wild in multiple places at regular intervals and then breeding the newly glo-ified fish with pre-existing stock. I imagine that's far more expensive than just making them lay tons of eggs to get a single decent fish.

I bought some zebra danios from petsmart a number of years ago and they didn't survive very long either. They did lay eggs for me though and I raised an unfortunate number of fry with zig-zagged spines.  Shocked 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-04-18, 22:14

DMD123 wrote:How about Glo angelfish?

Lets see what Angelman thinks about that glowing angels.  Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2014-04-18, 22:52

Abomination

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-19, 03:10

bassetman wrote:Notice in the legal section if they breed you are violating a patent and can be sued.
Like no ones ever burned a DVD or downloaded from a torrent website before.  Suspect 

hobbyorobsession wrote:eww glofish
+ 1  Super Puke 

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:Abomination
 alien 

Weird - I automatically think less of a pet store when I see these in them. I've been giving my neighbor crap about getting a fish tank when he makes fun of mine (light fun Smile). Then recently they got a 5 gal and put 3-4 radiOactive fish in it. It was all I can do not to say something. Neighbors are coOl, hope they grow into something more with the hobby  pale
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CMooreCichlids 2014-04-19, 10:41

If used as feeders, would it make it easier to clean the gravel in the dark?
CMooreCichlids
CMooreCichlids
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-19, 11:18

CMooreCichlids wrote:If used as feeders, would it make it easier to clean the gravel in the dark?
GloPoop  jocolor 

Somebody better patent it!  LMFAO 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2014-04-20, 22:14

I understand the attraction in an asthetic way but the fact that these could get loose into the waterways in the tropics and semitropics and totally screw up the ecosystem there.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-04-20, 22:43

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:I understand the attraction in an asthetic way but the fact that these could get loose into the waterways in the tropics and semitropics and totally screw up the ecosystem there.

No more so than any other fish, I think. Their coloration likely makes them easier targets for predators.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-04-20, 23:44

And no more so then the species they are, mostly dianos. And like pbmax said, a lot more visible to predators!
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2014-04-21, 15:38

I have seen various barbs tetras and now there are even glo-angelfish. I am most concerned about interbreeding in the wilds if they get loose. However, at this point in the global ecocatastrophe, I suppose it doesn't matter if we make morbid glofish or not.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-21, 15:46

I dont know why my mind went there. Penn Plax advertises their infa red aquarium net being effective because fish dont 'see' it. So if this were true, does it mean that red colored GloFish have a better chance to survive because they are not seen by other fish? Or would they just die out because they cant find each other to breed?  jocolor 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down