Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - Purple form

5 posters

Go down

Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - Purple form Empty Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - Purple form

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-16, 21:43

Anyone ever grow this plant submerged? Its purple and would make a great color addition. I am kind of reserved when it comes to terrestrial plants but doing some reading noticed a lot of people getting good colors and growth fully submerged.  

Any input appreciated.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-04-16, 23:06; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - Purple form Empty Re: Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - Purple form

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-16, 22:24

I just received some Lobelia cardinalis in the RAOK...but it's green and still acclimating so no info yet Chad.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - Purple form Empty Re: Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - Purple form

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-16, 23:06

cichlid-gal wrote:I just received some Lobelia cardinalis in the RAOK...but it's green and still acclimating so no info yet Chad.  

Surprised
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-16, 23:30

Hmm, cardinal tetras in my 75, cardinal flower, in one of my tanks. Cardinals decorations in my parents house. You'd think we should change our last name to... Oh, wait. Haha Smile Anywho I want to find this plant now. I think it looks like an awesome foreground addition to give some great color in tanks.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-16, 23:44

I have the standard form growing emersed in a wabi kusa bowl but I haven't managed to flower it yet. It's sure pretty though! I'll have to take a picture tomorrow of it and post it, nice pink stem, beautiful plant!
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-17, 00:31

Jubs wrote:I have the standard form growing emersed in a wabi kusa bowl but I haven't managed to flower it yet. It's sure pretty though! I'll have to take a picture tomorrow of it and post it, nice pink stem, beautiful plant!

Spot On - that would be great!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-17, 14:04

This is interesting... the first pic is how it looks where it normally grows under 6500K CFL lighting and the rest of the pictures are taken from my desk under a Finnex Ray2 7000K light fixture (its not very light on my desk). It is very pink looking normally but much more purple under the 7000K spectrum, I like it either way but just thought it was interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-17, 15:50

Wow that's very pretty!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-17, 16:28

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Wow that's very pretty!

Thank you!  Very Happy 
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-17, 17:03

NeatO Jubs. Thats a cool plant . - in or out of the water. I think ill be patient on a purchase on the submerged form. Not many people grow this plant underwater, and the talk go both ways, good and bad. A plant that shows these colors underwater would be amazing.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-17, 20:59

I use to grow it underwater but then I wanted to get it to flower so I changed it up lol.
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-18, 00:04

Jubs wrote:I use to grow it underwater but then I wanted to get it to flower so I changed it up lol.

So you had success growing this plant submerged?! The pictures of the actual plant had a sweet purple hue. I am seriously going back and forth about giving it a try if the guy gets back to me.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-18, 00:08

Yes I did, it was actually a pain to keep it trimmed because it wasn't the short form and would constantly grow straight up and I would have to trim it a lot more than I expected I would. That whole bowl/cup posted above is all from one stem of it, I hacked it up after it was neglected for months grew all the way across 1/3 of a 10g and new shoots where coming off the new stem. Some of the shorter ones in the bowl look like they have a rhizome but its just the pair of the large stem I hacked it from.
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2014-04-18, 12:50

Nice.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down