50% Water Changers and Gravel Vac Rack - DIY

+2
fishNAbowl
cichlid-gal
6 posters

Go down

50% Water Changers and Gravel Vac Rack - DIY Empty 50% Water Changers and Gravel Vac Rack - DIY

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-05, 19:50

John has been making these for me for a while now.  I have them for all my tanks and I have one for each tank that is dedicated to that tank so I don't cross over dirty water to other tanks.  These are great little siphons.  They are not for cleaning substrate, just for water removal and they are drilled for a flat 50% water removal on various tanks.  We have them in different sizes from 125G to 9G.  I love the fact that I can put this siphon on and literally walk away (unless I'm bucketing then depending on the tank size I might have to have more than one bucket to hold the outgoing water).  Anyway...here's how to make em...and if you are not a DIY'r we will be bringing some of these to the GSAS Auction this coming Saturday for auction bid.  Enjoy.

Parts
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What the finished project looks like

Storage

And I built this for my gravel vac storage (John had to help me with the holes and hanging but I did most of this...yes...I'm proud..LOL)
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

50% Water Changers and Gravel Vac Rack - DIY Empty Re: 50% Water Changers and Gravel Vac Rack - DIY

Post  Guest 2014-04-05, 20:09

Spot On

Back to top Go down

50% Water Changers and Gravel Vac Rack - DIY Empty Re: 50% Water Changers and Gravel Vac Rack - DIY

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-05, 20:38

This is great. Totally going to make one. Thanks for sharing!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-05, 20:50

Welcome gents  Very Happy 
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-05, 21:13

Looks good Donna!

I do something similar but instead of drilling holes in a longer pipe I use an end cap and drill a ton of tiny 3/32" holes in the end cap, to prevent fry from getting sucked out of the tank.

Here is my 6-way model for my rack, this way I can drain a full level (6 tanks) at a time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I refill each tank separately to so I can control the water temp going into each tank (I have some fish I keep warmer and cooler) that is like your model but I just put a 90* elbow and it only goes about 5" into the tank.

I love pvc, there is so much you can do with it!
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-05, 21:22

Jubs wrote:Looks good Donna!

I do something similar but instead of drilling holes in a longer pipe I use an end cap and drill a ton of tiny 3/32" holes in the end cap, to prevent fry from getting sucked out of the tank.

Here is my 6-way model for my rack, this way I can drain a full level (6 tanks) at a time.

I refill each tank separately to so I can control the water temp going into each tank (I have some fish I keep warmer and cooler) that is like your model but I just put a 90* elbow and it only goes about 5" into the tank.

I love pvc, there is so much you can do with it!

That looks super awesome for tanks that are all side by side. Maybe some day mine will be set up like that. For now mine are spread all around the house each in a different room (rooms/tanks...lots). Twelve in the house currently and a couple of isolation/quarantine in the garage along with our pond holding tank.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-05, 21:28

Yeah I keep a single one for that reason as well. I only have 18 tanks on the rack and the rest are spread out throughout the house.
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-06, 23:23

Jubs wrote:Here is my 6-way model for my rack, this way I can drain a full level (6 tanks) at a time.

You sir, are genius! I have been trying to do this, but without the hose, because I just wanted to start individual siphons. Using the pump on the output is a great idea. I'm off to work on this!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2014-04-07, 06:37

now that's a very clever invention. i like it. pirat 
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-07, 15:38

Thanks for the comments, sorry I wasn't trying hijack your thread Donna.
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-07, 16:08

No problem Justin...yours was a great share also as well as yours and mine having different applications (multi-tank vs single tank) Smile
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-04-07, 16:34

Looks good guys. These are great ideas from true MTS ppl.

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-04-08, 10:11

SiRWesDragon wrote:Looks good guys. These are great ideas from true MTS ppl.

Malaysian Trumpet Snail People?
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-08, 15:16

bronzefighter wrote:
SiRWesDragon wrote:Looks good guys. These are great ideas from true MTS ppl.

Malaysian Trumpet Snail People?

haha Multiple Tank Syndrome

I only have 24 tanks up and running currently with a few more I've been dragging my feet on setting up.
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-08, 15:47

So my roommates just moved out and now I have my basement back. I'm totally thinking of moving all my fish tanks to the basement and plumbing them up with a system like Jubs, and then pairing that up with some tool holders like Donna's at the top. My food budget may suffer, but MTS is about to hit me really hard...
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down