+3
Aquarium Co-Op
MRTom
fishNAbowl
7 posters

Go down

Comments in the FS section  Empty Comments in the FS section

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-04, 01:20

Are they necessary ? Is there a way to turn off the ability for members to respond like a normal thread? Just a suggestion, I think interested parties should just contact through the OP profile. Seems to mud up the OP when members start commenting and asking questions in FS ads.

Input?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Comments in the FS section  Empty Re: Comments in the FS section

Post  Guest 2014-04-04, 02:30

Well it helps the OP get free bump to the top..

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-04, 02:32

And sometimes op needs to clarify something in the post and folks ask those questions in the thread... (Plus admin will have to chime in with technical feasibility.)
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-04-04, 11:18

I'd have to look into it. I'm actually not sure if it's even possible yet.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-04, 11:47

SirWesDragon, that's true! This is a big advertising +. Speaking for myself - when an ad is posted it usually sticks in the Portal long enough for me to eyeball the heading. When browsing through the FS Forum I am looking for nothing in particular so it doesn't really matter what ad it on top. If I am in a serious search I go to the search menu and type in FS , then the item name I am searching for. This prompts a list of all For Sale items for that item eliminating a bunch of forum surfing.

MRTom, clarification can be made in PM by MOD or Admin. A respectable member would edit the OP to make adjustments. Or MOD could simply make adjustment if needed.

One thing I notice is when a responding member responds to a FS post 'PM sent' it prompts others to think the item maybe already gone, thus perhaps shying away from making offers. Others will post, "well maybe I want it", then the talk continues, then all of a sudden you have thumbs up, thumbs down, all muddying up the OP. Some FS threads have comments 2 pages deep...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-04, 14:04

fishNAbowl wrote:MRTom, clarification can be made in PM by MOD or Admin. A respectable member would edit the OP to make adjustments. Or MOD could simply make adjustment if needed.

We do, we do do that a lot. Otherwise madness deploys the madness Smile

fishNAbowl wrote:One thing I notice is when a responding member responds to a FS post 'PM sent' it prompts others to think the item maybe already gone, thus perhaps shying away from making offers. Others will post, "well maybe I want it", then the talk continues, then all of a sudden you have thumbs up, thumbs down, all muddying up the OP. Some FS threads have comments 2 pages deep...

PM sent seems to me like a courtesy to the seller to remind them to check for PMs (which not everyone checks regulary!). If folks feel like they can't send more PMs, then perhaps we should remind them to do so. I really do like when the seller comes back and posts either "something is in the works" or "fell through, item still available". So, there are pros and cons to having long conversations.

Thumbs up/down: What thread got jacked by that? I saw one get muddled a bit, but I thought it got back on topic by itself quickly. If not, sorry we missed a chance to fix it. I do think it is time for a poll on +/- to see what people want!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-04-04, 14:07

The only reason I post in FS threads is to find out if it's still available ie some other person posted the week/day before asking about it and then no updates. That or I've already tried to get in contact and for some reason am not getting a response.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-04, 14:09

Go forth and vote on +-!
http://www.wafishbox.com/t9664-and-reputations-poll-what-do-you-think#94787

Now back to FS comments topic Smile
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-04-04, 14:33

MRTom wrote:Otherwise madness deploys the madness Smile

lol! 

If you have pop up's blocked (which everyone should for virus reasons), sometimes I don't notice when I have a pm as I'm usually scrolling downwards before the page fully loads. I don't think the comments are all that bad, unless they get derailed, but I haven't noticed too many that has happened to recently.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bad-daddio 2014-04-04, 14:55

I know I'm new here so my input may not be that valuable Smile

That said, I really don't see a problem with discussions on the for sale threads. I've seen a few that go a little too far off topic but those really seem to be few and far between. It's pretty easy for me to steer clear of the threads that I'm not interested in.
bad-daddio
bad-daddio
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-04, 15:18

I've have noticed as a seller that when someone posts 'PM sent' I get PM's 'are these gone yet?'. Which tells me there are that many ppl sitting at their computer that's interested thinking, 'oh they are gone' and move on.

I've seen FS posts sit for a week with the last comment " PM SENT " . Then have the OP come and bump the thread a week later, lol! The whole time I was thinking the item was gone.

From the portal an ad 2-3 pages deep a buyer is reading every damn post trying to figure out if the item has been sold. Slightly annoying...

I don't know about you guys but my notifications are set to recieve an email if someone PM's me. I hardly ever subscribe to threads (which prompts email notification).  So if someone starts asking questions about an item I have no idea until I get a chance to dig into WashFishBox.
(Not like this week, I am on vacation, LOL)
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-05, 12:53

Thanks for derailing this thread TOM Wink
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-05, 13:54

You jest! Smile But to get back to the topic, got any recommendations for the sticky on the section to clarify pm sent and recommending folks to try anyway?
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  discus_2013 2014-04-05, 14:04

I like being able to comment because you may be asking a question another potential buyer may be wondering, plus it is all about interaction on the forum if we just wanted to pm we would hit up craigslist. Just my thoughts.
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-05, 15:37

MRTom wrote:You jest! :)But to get back to the topic, got any recommendations for the sticky on the section to clarify pm sent and recommending folks to try anyway?

No. I just wanna blow up the ability to make comments in the FS section that's all.

I know when it comes down to it if I am interested, or someone is truly interested in something I put up they will just PM. Anything out of control you MOD's do a pretty good job in controlling it.

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down