Mountaineering, anyone?

2 posters

Go down

Mountaineering, anyone? Empty Mountaineering, anyone?

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-03-04, 05:11

Hey you guys, even though skiing season is still (or finally) in full swing, I have been thinking more and more about hiking and mountaineering lately, and realizing that I really need to start getting in shape for the summer. I really don't have any mountaineering skills, but the last few years I have really enjoyed getting out and hiking around the Cascades. I really want to go see some more of the amazing areas that this state has to offer, and we are all only getting older and slower, so the sooner I do it the easier it will be. I also want to learn safe glacier travel and crevasse rescue skills, which will open up many, many more routes to interesting places.

Does anyone else here enjoy hiking or scrambling? How about serious mountaineering? I would love to find more people to make trips with; I sometimes go with my grandma, or a couple of people she knows, but often I go places where she can't make it anymore... although she is still a beast considering she's over 75 years old.

And if any of you do hike/climb, what is your favorite trip ever?

It's really hard for me to decide- I'm probably most proud of hiking Mt. Daniel in 1 day, which is my highest summit and probably longest distance covered, but I'd have to say my favorite hike is Bean Peak in the Teannaway. Short, sweet hike, awesome scenery, a fun little scramble and then an outrageous view at the top make it probably the best bang-for-the-buck hike I can remember doing. Other favorites were Aasgard Pass/Upper Enchantments, Yellow Aster Butte, and the amazing Rampart Lakes near Snoqualmie Pass.

Mountaineering, anyone? Rampart-lakes

Also, here is a video that really got me pumped to do some mountaineering at some point in my life; the corner they start up at about 9 minutes is just insane!
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Mountaineering, anyone? Empty Re: Mountaineering, anyone?

Post  bad-daddio 2014-03-08, 20:37

You haven't got much in the way of response to this. Hmm... Seems that not many here are into hiking and mountaineering.

Myself, I'm not sure where the line is drawn between hiking and mountaineering but I love to hike and scramble anything up to about a class 3 or so. I live very close to the Mountain Loop Highway so there is a ton of opportunity right outside my doorstep. I've been volunteering with search and rescue since about 2008 which changed my hiking habits a lot. I didn't get out and do much hiking that wasn't SAR related - I got burned out! Because of that, and a little bit of life getting int he way, I haven't done much with SAR the last couple years. I have started again, but I'm determined to apply a little balance going forward. We'll see how that goes...

Your comments about your grandmother reminded me a little bit of my own grandmother. She grew up over in the Methow Valley and I have loads of memories of she and I hiking and climbing all over that valley - She was tough and tried to make me tougher!

Anyway, I just didn't want this thread to go unanswered - I didn't want you to think you were the lone hiker here on the fishbox Smile
bad-daddio
bad-daddio
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum