Video - Feeder Cone for Cubed Freeze-Dried Foods

4 posters

Go down

Video - Feeder Cone for Cubed Freeze-Dried Foods Empty Video - Feeder Cone for Cubed Freeze-Dried Foods

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2014-02-20, 18:49

Hi All,

Just like many of you I like to feed a variety of foods to my fish; live, frozen, freeze-dried, flaked, and dried.  Freeze-dried foods are nutritious and less expensive than frozen but I disliked using them because of a couple of issues.  Using freeze-dried cubes involved putting my hand into the tank (sometimes all the way to the bottom to feed the corydoras) to "squish" the freeze dried cube onto the glass; leaving me searching for my fish towel.  The fish, in their feeding frenzy, would regularly loosen the food from the glass where it would float to the surface,  If I saw it floating I would to try to re-attach it to the glass but sometimes I wasn't there and the food would go uneaten.  That is why I like this easy to use feeder cone.  Watch the feeding frenzy on the video!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist on 2014-02-20, 21:51; edited 3 times in total
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Video - Feeder Cone for Cubed Freeze-Dried Foods Empty Re: Video - Feeder Cone for Cubed Freeze-Dried Foods

Post  Paintguy 2014-02-20, 19:17

I always wondered if any harm could happen to a fish that swallowed a large frozen chunk of one of the cubes. I put them in a cup for a bit, but do not always wait until it is completely melted.

I always had a problem with floating food in my acrylic tank as it has a built in sump filter with the intake on the top. Any food not eaten quickly would go straight into the filter until I found a floating food ring that keeps it in place.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Video - Feeder Cone for Cubed Freeze-Dried Foods Empty Re: Video - Feeder Cone for Cubed Freeze-Dried Foods

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-02-20, 19:22

What a great idea, Roy!

That looks great! Seems to me like it's relatively easy to make, as well... you can buy the plastic mesh (known as plastic canvas) at many craft stores... usually near the yarn section.

Cut the canvas into a circle, and cut down to the center of the circle to make a cone shape. Tie it off to retain the shape, and attach weights on the bottom so it sinks.

Tie string on the tip of the cone, and presto! Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-20, 21:26

Wonder if you could modify a badminton ball for the mesh cone? Very good way to get foods down to bottom feeders without having to pour in a ton of bloodworms just so some food will reach the bottom.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down