poffman
Chiisai
fishNAbowl
DMD123
10 posters

Go down

Vacation Pics-Ecuador Empty Vacation Pics-Ecuador

Post  DMD123 2014-02-10, 15:11

Just got back from my vacation, visiting family in Ecuador. Thought I would share some pictures.

The aquarium hobby down there is nothing like here. I found a store that carried tanks but the largest was only around 50-65 gallons. They were glass tanks with rounded corners and were breeder sized, around a 36" x 18" footprint for about $250. Very European looking but everything was 'JAD' brand and from China. I have not found any shops with cool fish there. They have Festae and green terrors in Ecuador and all they sell in the local shops are common little fish we all see here in the States. Then again this is probably a luxury for most, since the average Ecuadorian worker makes about $17 a day. They use US currency since their money lost value years ago.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04010
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04011

My dentist office down there had a tank and it only had common tetras, barbs, gourami in it, looks to be a common 55 gallon built into the wall. I always get my teeth cleaned when Im down there because it is cheap. This place has all the modern stuff and its only $35 for a cleaning.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04013
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04012

The next picture is not for the faint of heart..... This was my third trip down to Ecuador and finally my first time eating 'Cuy'. This is the beloved guinea pig being deep fried. And FYI, it does NOT taste like chicken - LOL - Taste is more like a dark meat from a Turkey, not my favorite but at least I can say I tried it.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04014

We also went to a cool bird show at a place called 'Parque Condor'. They had lots of large predatory birds there, very cool!
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04015
Sorry, I cant get this picture to flip right. Looks fine on my computer but the conversion to put it here does not want to flip it right. The eagle is gulping down a cute little chick that was used to lure it back in.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04111

Have tons more pictures but wont bore you guys with them!  Very Happy
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Vacation Pics-Ecuador Empty Re: Vacation Pics-Ecuador

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-10, 16:10

Deep fried Guinea pigs, Predatory birds on your arm . Interesting vacation. Looks warm there too, niiice!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!! If that's you with the Eagle you should post that in the gallery, awesome self picture!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-10, 16:19

Just remember if you ate Bald eagle in Ecuador you cant talk about it in the US (does it taste like chicken)?

I am surprised you didnt see more interesting fish. With so many SA cichlid/fish harvested from that are youd think you could get good deals on some rare fish.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman 2014-02-10, 16:22

Cool pics!
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-10, 16:33

Poor guinea pigs Sad
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-02-10, 16:45

fishNAbowl wrote:Deep fried Guinea pigs, Predatory birds on your arm . Interesting vacation. Looks warm there too, niiice!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!! If that's you with the Eagle you should post that in the gallery, awesome self picture!

Not me with the eagle, it was the handler at the park. It was warm but not too hot, though I did get sunburned right before I came home.

I did hear that the guinea pigs taste better BBQ'd, might have to try that next time. It took me three visits to get this because previous visits had some sketchy cooking of the little critters and I did not want to get sick. One time we watched the person handling the raw meat and cooked stuff with the same tongs, so cross contamination for sure. This time we had a person prepare it for us and it was safe to eat. We take those things for granted here dont we? It is getting better every time we visit but you still have to watch out.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-02-10, 17:05

Chiisai wrote:Just remember if you ate Bald eagle in Ecuador you cant talk about it in the US (does it taste like chicken)?

I am surprised you didnt see more interesting fish. With so many SA cichlid/fish harvested from that are youd think you could get good deals on some rare fish.

There are very few 'pet stores' in the areas Ive been. In the capital city of Quito I stopped in on a store at the mall and they carried rabbits and puppies and a few tropical's that we see here and that was it.

Where my family is at is mountainous, far from any tropical part of the Amazon jungle. A friend of mine there wants to take me fishing but it would be for trout..... Apparently planted there and have just thrived. Will try and do some fishing next time.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-02-10, 17:12

MorganEA wrote:Poor guinea pigs Sad
I do have another pic with the little feet in the air as they were cooking.... this one seemed less gross  whistle 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-10, 17:23

Guinea pigs are friends not food Sad
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-02-10, 17:42

MorganEA wrote:Guinea pigs are friends not food Sad
I know its hard to imagine eating these guys, because they are cute, but with out the fur they look like big rats.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Index12
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-10, 17:53

Cool! When I saw the title. I was thinking about dustin's (from dustin fishtanks on YouTube) trip to Peru and he got fishes. Thought you brought fishes home. Lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-02-10, 18:12

Awesome pics D, Cant wait to hear more about it
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-02-10, 18:39

Oh man, how cool would it be to go on a trip like this, get on some of the local waters and at least take pics of the local fish Smile You could even help with the bioblitz! http://www.seriouslyfish.com/can-you-help-the-freshwater-bioblitz/
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-10, 19:14

You would be surprised the stuff ppl eat all over the world. Animals we deem as pets are delicatessen in other parts of the world.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-02-10, 19:50

MRTom wrote:Oh man, how cool would it be to go on a trip like this, get on some of the local waters and at least take pics of the local fish Smile

I hate the fact we are in the mountains for this reason. I still want to get to the Amazon or Jungle area and see stuff but just extra cost that we could not afford. The other problem is all the red tape involved in trying to bring something back.

Another fun fact.... the Galapagos Islands are a part of Ecuador, I want to see these one day too but also expensive side trip.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-10, 21:59

fishNAbowl wrote:
You would be surprised the stuff ppl eat all over the world. Animals we deem as pets are delicatessen in other parts of the world.
Shhhh don't say that!! My parents lived in china so I know what other cultures eat  vomit 
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-02-11, 09:27

Thank you for sharing all of this information. Learning about other countries as well as about how other countries view this hobby is really fascinating.

I too would have thought that there would be a plethora of SA cichlids/fish available for the local hobbyist. Probably comes down to what is rarer or harder to find in those areas.

I had also understood that many South American countries had reduced costs of living so the dentist charges fall in line with the things I've heard. Obviously having a hobby like keeping fish does not fall into the "reduction" category with tanks being priced at $250 plus for rather small ones at that. Yikes.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-02-11, 10:55

Sounds like a really good trip; a nice follow-up to swimming with the rays.  Smile 

I've been to some countries with very different types of food, but I don't think I could try guinea pig. Something about having kept one as a pet...
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2014-02-12, 16:35

DMD123 wrote:Just got back from my vacation, visiting family in Ecuador. Thought I would share some pictures.

The aquarium hobby down there is nothing like here. I found a store that carried tanks but the largest was only around 50-65 gallons. They were glass tanks with rounded corners and were breeder sized, around a 36" x 18" footprint for about $250. Very European looking but everything was 'JAD' brand and from China. I have not found any shops with cool fish there. They have Festae and green terrors in Ecuador and all they sell in the local shops are common little fish we all see here in the States. Then again this is probably a luxury for most, since the average Ecuadorian worker makes about $17 a day. They use US currency since their money lost value years ago.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04010
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04011

My dentist office down there had a tank and it only had common tetras, barbs, gourami in it, looks to be a common 55 gallon built into the wall. I always get my teeth cleaned when Im down there because it is cheap. This place has all the modern stuff and its only $35 for a cleaning.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04013
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04012

The next picture is not for the faint of heart..... This was my third trip down to Ecuador and finally my first time eating 'Cuy'. This is the beloved guinea pig being deep fried. And FYI, it does NOT taste like chicken - LOL - Taste is more like a dark meat from a Turkey, not my favorite but at least I can say I tried it.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04014

We also went to a cool bird show at a place called 'Parque Condor'. They had lots of large predatory birds there, very cool!
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04015
Sorry, I cant get this picture to flip right. Looks fine on my computer but the conversion to put it here does not want to flip it right. The eagle is gulping down a cute little chick that was used to lure it back in.
Vacation Pics-Ecuador Dsc04111

Have tons more pictures but wont bore you guys with them!  Very Happy

Nice pics. I had CUY when I was in Ecuador. You're right, it doesnt taste like chicken. LOL. Tastes like darker turkey meat to me.
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down