Black beard algae! help!

+3
fishNAbowl
Aquarium Co-Op
Killybeys
7 posters

Go down

Black beard algae! help! Empty Black beard algae! help!

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-01, 02:49

so i have to admit ive been leaving my light on over my planted tank a lot more than i should have (just forgetting its on and leaving the room) and its starting to look like i have black beard algae on some of my plants. it only seems to be on certain plants and not others. anyone have any solutions on how to get rid of it? im currently leaving the light off for most of the day. But if anyone has any hidden tricks i could use some help!!
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Black beard algae! help! Empty Re: Black beard algae! help!

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-02-01, 02:54

First thing I would do is get the light on a timer. You need your plants to be growing to help out compete the algae. Maybe try say 8 hours a day.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-01, 03:06

My trick..... stabile supply of carbon dioxide.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-01, 11:09

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:First thing I would do is get the light on a timer. You need your plants to be growing to help out compete the algae. Maybe try say 8 hours a day.
 I agree 
Then black out a few days and take plants with bha put them in bucket of solution of 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts h20 for 2 minutes. Then plant them back while black out for a few days. Bha will turn brown and die. I'd do partial water change after.
I did that no more bha in my tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-01, 11:40

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:First thing I would do is get the light on a timer. You need your plants to be growing to help out compete the algae. Maybe try say 8 hours a day.

fishNAbowl wrote:My trick..... stabile supply of carbon dioxide.

From my experience BBA growth excels when water column nutrients are unbalanced. You can use peroxides,  pull plants and decor out, medicate, ect... However, does this fix the problem? will you have to do it all over again  disrupting the ecosystem? Planted tanks when balanced should have very little issues. When BBA begins to form in my tanks I take a look at what part of my tank is unbalanced and figure out what I can do to bring it all back into balance. This ideal goes into play with any algae, or bacterial issue.

Your tank is planted. Take a look at the spectrum of lighting used (is the spectrum and out put optimal for plant growth)? Plants eat up nutrients in the water and once certain nutrients are diminished the ecosystem becomes unbalanced making it a haven for BBA to flourish. These nutrients should be replenished.

Once the tank is brought back into balance the BBA will recede .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-02-02, 02:27; edited 2 times in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-01, 11:59

Only problem I had was just like killbeys is too much light. My tanks both have co2, 1 is dirted (no need ferts), and 3 others are not dirted (ferts). Its timed but I sometimes turn it manually and forget to turn off. Its normally on at 8am off at 12pm on at 4pm and off at 8pm. 8hrs aday. But you manually turn timers and forget, thats 12 hrs of light.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-01, 13:52

SiRWesDragon wrote:Only problem I had was just like killbeys is too much light. My tanks both have co2, 1 is dirted (no need ferts), and 3 others are not dirted (ferts). Its timed but I sometimes turn it manually and forget to turn off. Its normally on at 8am off at 12pm on at 4pm and off at 8pm. 8hrs aday. But you manually turn timers and forget, thats 12 hrs of light.

In this situation I would still trouble shoot a deficiency. Although extreme lighting will help BHA grow it still needs other conditions to thrive. All my tanks are now considered high light & are on 13 hours a day. I do get BHA and this is kept in control with both nitrogen and carbon supplements. If either of these supplements are removed BHA will creep in.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-02, 02:15

fishNAbowl wrote:

fishNAbowl wrote:My trick..... stabile supply of carbon dioxide.

From my experience BBA growth excels when water parameters and nutrients are unbalanced. You can use peroxides,  pull plants and decor out, medicate, ect... However, does this fix the problem? will you have to do it all over again  disrupting the ecosystem? Planted tanks when balanced should have very little issues. When BBA begins to form in my ranks I take a look at what part of my tank is unbalanced and figure out what I can do to bring it all back into balance. This ideal goes into play with any algae, or bacterial issue.

Your tank is planted. Take a look at the spectrum of lighting used (is the spectrum and out put optimal for plant growth)? Plants eat up nutrients in the water and once certain nutrients are diminished the ecosystem becomes unbalanced making it a haven for BBA to flourish. These nutrients should be replenished.

Once the tank is brought back into balance the BBA will recede.

Ill have to test my water tomorrow and see whats out of whack. i have to admit i havent been able to do as many water changes as id like due to work being crazy but now its slowing down so ill definitely check and fix what i can tomorrow. Also im using a Finnex ray 2 for a 120 gallon tank. Is there a ratio for how much light output is optimal per gallon??
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-02-04, 01:03

Add more fish. More fish = more waste = more nutrients for plants. I would assume... Lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-04, 01:29

CrazedAce wrote:Add more fish. More fish = more waste = more nutrients for plants. I would assume... Lol

There is already a lot of fish in the tank currently. I think thats why it took so long for it to appear cause i left that light on a lot.
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-04, 01:39

3 Turquoise Rainbows | 12 Assorted Cory Catfish
1 Iranian Red Rainbow | 1 Black Ghost Knife
1 Lake Tereba Rainbow | 2 Angelfish
1 Gold Gourami  | 2 South American Bumblebee Catfish
1 Jurupari |  2 Roseline Sharks
3 Clown Loach

This planted tank is screaming " Siamese Algae Eaters "! They nibble on algae's, even BHA.

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-04, 01:53

fishNAbowl wrote:
This planted tank is screaming " Siamese Algae Eaters "! They nibble on algae's, even BHA.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1086&pcatid=1086

Ive seen these before but wasnt sure if they really worked. Ill have to go see if cory has some on my day off! If they do work they are gunna get huge with alll the algae haha
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  kingneptune 2014-02-04, 12:21

Killybeys wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:

Ive seen these before but wasnt sure if they really worked. Ill have to go see if cory has some on my day off! If they do work they are gunna get huge with alll the algae haha

I was just at aquarium co-op last night looking at his siamese algae eaters, I think he has them listed at ~$4-5. Check out his left center planted tank to see a full grown SAE so you're aware of how large they get.
kingneptune
kingneptune
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-04, 16:18

Siamese algae eaters will not irradiate BHA. Tanks no matter what get algae. They get BHA, GHA, all that stuff. A good clean up crew - especially in a planted tank is essential in my opinion. But, if there is excessive algae growth, excessive black hair growth the cleaners wont be able to keep up. Most of the fish in ALL my tanks are "cleaner" fish. There is Corydalis and loaches picking through the substrate for the left over foods. Small Plecos and Otocinclus to help maintain algae. Siamese Algae eaters swimming around picking away at hair algae. FYI, I would adopt an adult SAE if you didn't want it into adulthood. The smaller sub adults seem to be more active at picking away BHA.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2014-02-04, 19:03

The problem I have with siamese algae eaters is they will attack larger fish and eat scales. Maybe this casn be prevented with some sor tof calcium supplement. Algae Destroyer will safely kill algae but some mosses and liverworts are also harmed. It will not kill other plants or fish. It will wipe out invertabrates like snails or shrimp so it is up to you.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-04, 20:08

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:The problem I have with siamese algae eaters is they will attack larger fish and eat scales. Maybe this casn be prevented with some sor tof calcium supplement. Algae Destroyer will safely kill algae but some mosses and liverworts are also harmed. It will not kill other plants or fish. It will wipe out invertabrates like snails or shrimp so it is up to you.

SAE?!?! Whaaat? Ive never seen or heard of this. Im quite supprized! Ive housed these nearly from day 1 in this hobby. All mine have ever done is lay on leaves and nibble on the algaes on leaves. The most negative thing I've ever heard was reports of adults NOT eating algae anymore. Even this I have not experienced. All the adult SAE I've housed as adults still nibble on algae. Are you sure we are talking about SAE and not another species?!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2014-02-04, 21:54

It may have been something sold to me as an siamese algae eater but maybe it was another animal in a similar genus. This was decades ago. It would swim up to the side of the fish and start chomping away as if it was eating algae off of glass. It would let go and the fish would be lacking scales. It did this to Discus and Angels. Odd. Maybe it was bred out of them

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2014-02-04, 21:55

How disruptive to a planted tank are CAE?

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-04, 22:04

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:How disruptive to a planted tank are CAE?

I've heard of CAE being sold as SAE. I've never have had these due to stories of them becoming aggressive. The flying fox is an interesting critter. I've heard they eat BHA but get spunky like the red tailed sharks.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-05, 01:26

kingneptune wrote:
Killybeys wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:

I was just at aquarium co-op last night looking at his siamese algae eaters, I think he has them listed at ~$4-5. Check out his left center planted tank to see a full grown SAE so you're aware of how large they get.

Ya ive seen that guy before, hes huge! and ive had algae eaters before and out of the 3 i had, one of them grew freakishly large (like 5 times bigger than the other ones), lost all his color and started attacking everything.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] the cave hes in is bigger than my fist.
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-05, 01:27

fishNAbowl wrote:
hyp3rcrav3 wrote:How disruptive to a planted tank are CAE?

I've heard of CAE being sold as SAE. I've never have had these due to stories of them becoming aggressive. The flying fox is an interesting critter. I've heard they eat BHA but get spunky like the red tailed sharks.

What are CAE?
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-05, 01:55

Chinese Algae Eater
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-05, 05:15

fishNAbowl wrote:Chinese Algae Eater

Is there a difference?
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-05, 09:22

Here , this is a website I found that touches on the basics.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-02-05, 15:10

huge difference, chinese = bad, siamese = good, for most applications. the pic is a golden chinese algae eater, i got one of those when i was first in the hobby and didn't know
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2014-02-05, 16:06

After perusing the photos I realize what I had was a Chinese Algae Eater all those years ago. They are (expletive deleted) animals. I'll bear that in mind next time I am looking for an larger algae eater that isn't a plant eating pleco. Siamese Algae Eaters do or do not eat or dig plants?

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-05, 20:48

fishNAbowl wrote:Here , this is a website I found that touches on the basics.

Ah ok so i had a chinese one then. He was a horrible fish that disrupted everything.
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-05, 22:29

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:Siamese Algae Eaters do or do not eat or dig plants?

No. I would not have them in my tanks if they ate or was destructive to plants.

The key to shopping for SAE is the line that runs the length of the fish. On SAE this line runs all the way through the fish. CAE and flying foXes the line stops at the tail right before the tail section meets the fin.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-05, 22:38

Here is a picture of my 4" SAE. Also these fish eat other foods. Flakes, blood worms. I've noticed like my Cory cats they have their nose in every crack and crevice trying to find food which to me makes him a good scavenger finding foods that may otherwise rot.

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-02-06, 00:50

fishNAbowl wrote:Here is a picture of my 4" SAE. Also these fish eat other foods. Flakes, blood worms. I've noticed like my Cory cats they have their nose in every crack and crevice trying to find food which to me makes him a good scavenger finding  foods  that may otherwise rot.

Ok ya i saw some of these at corys today. I might need to invest in a couple once i get my tank back to normal
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2014-02-06, 23:20

Coolness, I'm going to need an algae eater in my 55 that isn't a pleco. Otocinclus are too small and could possibly become Birchir food. SAE won't.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-09, 12:18

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:Coolness, I'm going to need an algae eater in my 55 that isn't a pleco. Otocinclus are too small and could possibly become Birchir food. SAE won't.

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:Coolness, I'm going to need an algae eater in my 55 that isn't a pleco. Otocinclus are too small and could possibly become Birchir food. SAE won't.

I've noticed through trial and error that if the tank is heavily planted Otocinclus do well with some predators. Polys are usually a lazy opportunistic predator, just laying around until something comes their way. In a heavily planted tank Oto's will stay hidden in the leaves and quickly zoOm away from potential danger. Even though I have lost some due to predation it wasn't enough to detour me from still housing them in my 140 with dwarf type predators. And before I switched over to dwarfs I had a Delhezi and Otocinclus together. I think my dwarf Pike has gotten more Oto's than the Poly!

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down